Still no water out p hole after replacing water pump

Mercury 200 hp efi serial OG231026.
    Took boat out for 1st time last week. Water not coming out p hole so we returned to dock and took it out. We just replaced the water pump and put it back together. Water still not coming out p hole and lower unit not going into gear, i.e prop not turning when put in gear. Getting ready to drop lower unit again. Any thoughts on what we.might have done wrong?

2. Member
    Check the shift shaft to make sure it’s aligned and properly inserted in to lower unit, it’s usually the trickiest part to do. Also make sure that the lower unit and motor are both in neutral and not mixed matched. But that wouldn’t stop the pee stream, how long did it run before you stopped it? Does take a little time to start peeing, thermostats have to open.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    Fixed the gear problem, thanks. Onlu let.it run 30 se o ds. How long should we try? Let it run for 3 min. Over heat alarm started at about 150 degrees. Still no water!

4. Member
    We removed both thermostats and disconnected one of the hoses there and no.water out of the hose between the 2 thermostats. Is there another reason besides water pump that we r not getting any water Into the engine?

5. Member
    check copper tube for restriction, make sure all components of w/p are in place correctly including the seal in top of housing for copper tube , very possible you have gaskets under the power head and adapter plate leaking
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Should we be pulling off the base of the water pump looking at the gaskets under it? Also, can someone point out exactly where the water inlets are on the lower unit. We want to make sure we have the lower unit in enough water so that is indeed sucking water in. I've attached a few photos of our lower unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ampusa; 02-24-2023 at 08:37 AM. Reason: added pictures

7. Member
    Can't say you have the same issue, but a couple years ago I had a spider web built up in the hose. Can be something as simple as that sometimes but a PITA to find.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampusa View Post
    Should we be pulling off the base of the water pump looking at the gaskets under it? Also, can someone point out exactly where the water inlets are on the lower unit. We want to make sure we have the lower unit in enough water so that is indeed sucking water in. I've attached a few photos of our lower unit.
    WELL yes dont ever pull it off without replacing all three gaskets ,pickups are under the pointed part of gearcase , it needs to be submerged above the plate near top of gearcase careful youll ruin new impeller if not already
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    We replaced the 3 gaskets under the housing, but we understand there are additional gaskets under the base of the waterpump, that which the housing attaches to.

10. Member
    Yes, I believe just one more. That gasket comes with many kits, even kits without the base.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

11. Member
    Dirt daubers in the pee hole once caused an overheat alarm on my 115 Optimax two stroke. A piece of wire fixed it. It seems there was also concern for the cooling water supply to the compressor which may have caused the overheat alarm. Long time ago different motor but I thought I would toss it out.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...light=pee+hole
    Last edited by csurp; 02-24-2023 at 04:54 PM.

12. Member
    there's 2 between hosing and base one on top of plate and one below plate and 1 under base thats all .........3

13. Member
    I just wanted to let everyone know we got the cooling system working correctly last night and to thank everyone for all of their help. After replacing the water pump last week and not having any luck with the water stream out the tell tale we dropped the lower unit again last night. We shot water up through the water pipe and it came out the tell tale so we knew it was the lower unit. After removing the water pump housing we discovered that we re-installed things incorrectly last week because the impeller was destroyed. That happened as we ran the engine several short stints trying to get things to work and testing out theories. When we re-installed the lower unit, after the 2nd new waterpump installed, we were extremely careful to line up the water pipe with the housing. Our water pipe moved around very easy so we probably did not have it lined up correctly after the 1st replacement. Additionally we pushed the seal down tightly against the top of the water pump housing to make sure there was a good seal. It was great to see the water flow out the tell tale. Thanks again everyone for your help.

14. Member
    Yes, the water pipe moves around rather freely, it is imperative to line it up correctly, same with the shift shaft. Two extra hands help but it’s doable alone also. I find the shift shaft harder because the gap is much more narrow at that point. Also, it’s easier with the motor tilted up. After doing it a couple of times it gets a lot easier. Also, make sure when bolting the water pump down that you are torquing the nuts and screws correctly, over tightening can prematurely wear the pump out.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay