How to clean snot off of Power Pole pump screens

I had my power pole pump valves changed a year or so ago. The pumps were making a high pitched sound when the spike set up after deployed or after finishing being stowed back. The mechanic found the existing screens had a snot like substance all over them. I changed the fluid last year and know it appears that one of the pumps is making that same racket again. I sucked up some of the fluid in a turkey baster and I can see some of that snot back in the fluid. So I assume it is on the screens that cover the valves. Would just changing the fluid eliminate enough of the snot buildup without having to remove the pumps. That is just a pain to do.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    I had my power pole pump valves changed a year or so ago. The pumps were making a high pitched sound when the spike set up after deployed or after finishing being stowed back. The mechanic found the existing screens had a snot like substance all over them. I changed the fluid last year and know it appears that one of the pumps is making that same racket again. I sucked up some of the fluid in a turkey baster and I can see some of that snot back in the fluid. So I assume it is on the screens that cover the valves. Would just changing the fluid eliminate enough of the snot buildup without having to remove the pumps. That is just a pain to do.
    how often are you changing your fluid we recommend changing annually if using Green marine. this will avoid the "snot like substance"

3. mikesxpress
    Tom don't put the green bean fluid in the PPs.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=859646

4. Member
    Got rid of the 'green' stuff and went with another ISO rated fluid and no more boogers or snot.

5. Member
    I agree with the non green fluid. If you have your plug in your boat, I am unsure how this toxic hydraulic fluid is going to get into a lake??

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymo32 View Post
    I agree with the non green fluid. If you have your plug in your boat, I am unsure how this toxic hydraulic fluid is going to get into a lake??
    Because once they split a line or crack a ferrule or whatever, or even just seepage/blowby throught the caps, etc - you know some yahoo is going to yank his plug at the ramp and dump that shit everywhere...

I bought a gallon of the ISO32 planning to use it when I replaced my P2's with blades, but wound up going ahead and using the green stuff. I'll just follow the directions and change out the fluid yearly, it's not hard to do. No shade on those using ISO32, just please don't dump it :)

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Because once they split a line or crack a ferrule or whatever, or even just seepage/blowby throught the caps, etc - you know some yahoo is going to yank his plug at the ramp and dump that shit everywhere...

I bought a gallon of the ISO32 planning to use it when I replaced my P2's with blades, but wound up going ahead and using the green stuff. I'll just follow the directions and change out the fluid yearly, it's not hard to do. No shade on those using ISO32, just please don't dump it :)
    agree I'd rather just change mine yearly . Simple quick and prob least expensive maintenence you can do on a bassboat. I'll stick w Green Marine.

8. mikesxpress
    Your carrying 50 gallons of fuel, quart of lower unit gear lube, 4.5 gallons of 2 stroke oil, or 3.5 quarts of 4 stroke oil, jack plate oil, and trim unit oil. A couple quarts of ISO in your PPs isn't a concern and it will last 5+ years. Green bean fluid is a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Your carrying 50 gallons of fuel, quart of lower unit gear lube, 4.5 gallons of 2 stroke oil, or 3.5 quarts of 4 stroke oil, jack plate oil, and trim unit oil. A couple quarts of ISO in your PPs isn't a concern and it will last 5+ years. Green bean fluid is a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.
    everyone's entitled to there opinion Mike.

10. mikesxpress
    I agree! Just putting it in perspective. I'm not selling anything.