Transom Saver vs Motor Tote

Hello,

I have searched a bit and cant find a 100% answer. Buying an RT198p and the trailer mounted transom saver comes with it which I always thought of as 100% needed because of aluminum boat etc. But the dealer says that something like the DD26 Motor Tote will work just fine, So here I am asking the opinions of actual aluminum boat owners, what do you all think?

Also I did search the forum and unless my search terms are wrong i cant find this being discussed.

Thanks
    Rich

It gets discussed monthly. Both have their advantages and draw backs. Pick one and use it. Either will work. Modern day transoms are strong and do not need "saving." The transom gets waaaay more abuse going down the lake.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    I must have searched the wrong terms didn't see any posts. TY for your input.

4. Member
    I have a DD26 on my RT198 and will never have anything else. Folks complain about the cost - and I get it - but it is worth every penny...

5. Member
    I have never used a transom saver in over 40 years of owning/towing aluminum boats. When I traded in my 30 year old Grumman for a much larger boat I asked my friend who owns the marina I bought the boat from if I need a transom saver with this 115 hp outboard. He said no, they do more damage than they help because they transfer all those road bumps into the lower unit of the motor. And since my ETEC comes with a built in trailering bracket I took his advice and still don't use a "Transom Saver".

BTW I have never heard of any boat owner complain they needed to have their transom repaired/replaced because they didn't use a transom saver. All I have ever heard of is rotten transoms that needed to be replaced and those boats were mostly Lunds.

6. Member
    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/moto...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've always used this on my 2017 RT188.

7. Member
    In the unlikely event that your tilt/trim hydraulics fail, you will be glad you had a product of your choice in place to keep the lower unit off the pavement assuming it can reach. Otherwise, I use the stick that came with my RT198p with no complaints.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

8. Member
    My opinion is you just need something to keep the weight of the motor off the hydraulics. My boat came with the "stick" that goes from the trailer to the motor. If something were to happen to this stick I'd make a motor tote type deal out of wood.

9. Member
    I have had both and now use a Motormate, so much easier to install and much better for securing the motor.

Another vote for the DD26. Solid construction, convenient to store on the boat before launch, and, after using it a few times, it goes in place easily and quickly.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

11. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Get a MotorMate
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    It gets discussed monthly. Both have their advantages and draw backs. Pick one and use it. Either will work. Modern day transoms are strong and do not need "saving." The transom gets waaaay more abuse going down the lake.
    +1
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

13. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    +1
    +2
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

14. Member
    I got a Motor Mate and it's been excellent. My dealer advised no trailer to transom sticks because they had some lower unit issues.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver