Question Skeeter 21i vs FXR21 ride

I’m all about feeling safe on the water and how boats handle in the big stuff. I just recently sold my 21i and I’m looking for another boat to buy in about 6 months.

How similar, if any, is the FXR hull to the iClass hull? Does the FXR ride well and land soft like the iClass in the bigger water?

thanks in advance
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex
    Helix 15/ Helix 12 / Garmin 1222 / LS34 Livescope

Jer. 33:3

2. Member
    According to the guy I got my I boat from it does not ride as well. This is a guy who fishes the Great Lakes for reference to big water. It gets rough out there. That said he really likes his boat and says it rides good, just not I class good. He said on rough water if the I was a 10 the FXR is a 7-8 in his opinion. Safe and handles nice just not quite as soft. Again that’s 2nd hand, I have not been in his boat with him, no idea on driver skill etc. I get a feeling it’s not much of a downgrade, and only on the worst of days. I mean up here we can be talking about 4+ footers.

3. Member
    Driver skill is probably 90% of the ride. Personally (and first hand), I feel the FXR is better riding than the I Series (I fish St Clair & Erie a lot as well). The FXR needs attention to avoid the porpoising, not that the I series didn’t have that issue as well (FXR worse, in my opinion, especially with full livewells). The I Series remains a stabler platform while fishing though (the penalty of a deeper V).

4. Member
    I've owned every hull Skeeter has made since 1996. 2 I class, 2 FXR, and now on my 3rd ZXR (same hull design). Also, have a couple friends that still have I class. I do have this argument from time to time. The "R" hull performs much better, lands softer, and has less bow slap than the I class did. I run Ontario and Champlain constantly and IMO the "R" hulls are the best hull Skeeter has made. Don't get me wrong the I class is very close. I feel that the guys that are keeping the "I" at the top, just don't want to pay the "R" price.

5. Member
    ^ I don’t doubt what you’re saying at all. I have not been in one, the guy I got my I from made the upgrade. So I was passing on 2nd hand info. I would also be willing to bet with more time learning to drive his new rig it will have gotten better for him. In no way did I want to mislead the OP. Just wanted to share like we all do to help each other out. I have no skin in the game.

You’re also right about price. I got my I because I wanted the best ride I could afford. If I could afford new or nearly new I probably would not have an I. Although I really do love my boat a lot, can’t imagine replacing it unless I won the lotto or something.
    Last edited by 99R93S; 02-26-2023 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    Driver skill is probably 90% of the ride. Personally (and first hand), I feel the FXR is better riding than the I Series (I fish St Clair & Erie a lot as well). The FXR needs attention to avoid the porpoising, not that the I series didn’t have that issue as well (FXR worse, in my opinion, especially with full livewells). The I Series remains a stabler platform while fishing though (the penalty of a deeper V).
    thanks so much for your insight. This is exactly the response I was hoping for because after selling my 3rd “iClass” I’ve been looking for 21FXi’s, but I’ve considered going over to the ZXR on a whim. So, I guess in your opinion the ZXR has a softer landing than the iClass boats. This has been a question of mine for quite a while and it’s very difficult, almost impossible, to find someone with this kind of perspective. Thanks
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex

there is soooo much that goes into big water ride way more than iclass or fxr or fxi it is about motor and prop setup if your rig is slapping down hard on the waves you dont have a good lift could be prop or jack plate i am running a 21i mine came with a 300 hpdi it had a very good ride i am now running a 300 pro xs four stroke v8 and the merc has way more lift with the four blade prop and it holds the nose up better than the hpdi did so my ride now is unreal smooth my partner has the fxr and we always run my iclass when on big water if its windy but like i said all of them will ride good if you get the setup correct.

one thing you can do to help setup is play with your jackplate so your boat trimmed all the way down and running around 25mph without your boat porpoising is a good starting place
    Last edited by skeeter21i; 02-27-2023 at 05:54 PM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchdip View Post
    thanks so much for your insight. This is exactly the response I was hoping for because after selling my 3rd “iClass” I’ve been looking for 21FXi’s, but I’ve considered going over to the ZXR on a whim. So, I guess in your opinion the ZXR has a softer landing than the iClass boats. This has been a question of mine for quite a while and it’s very difficult, almost impossible, to find someone with this kind of perspective. Thanks
    Yes, definitely softer landing. As also mentioned, IF you’re really into big (rough) waters, a 4 blade prop does wonders for rough water ride and keeping plane at a slower speed. Takes it another level.

Good stuff. Thx guys
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex

10. Member

fxr21 vs 21 I

Ran a 21 for 8 years and currently have a fxr21. The fxr is a better performing hull as far as hole shot and top end. Rough water is pretty close. The fxr is wider and i think it is a smoother and a dryer ride. THe 21 I is real close and would be proud to have either. They are both great riding boats

Gonna be real hard to match the ride of a 21i. I believe the FXR or ZXR 21 footers will get you close, though.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

Bought a 2022 FXR21 this weekend. Can't wait to see the difference. Thanks for the input everyone!
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex

13. Member
    Congrats and make sure to post up what you think as well.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by densik View Post
    I've owned every hull Skeeter has made since 1996. 2 I class, 2 FXR, and now on my 3rd ZXR (same hull design). Also, have a couple friends that still have I class. I do have this argument from time to time. The "R" hull performs much better, lands softer, and has less bow slap than the I class did. I run Ontario and Champlain constantly and IMO the "R" hulls are the best hull Skeeter has made. Don't get me wrong the I class is very close. I feel that the guys that are keeping the "I" at the top, just don't want to pay the "R" price.
    Agreed. Same personal experience as you mentioned except on different lakes.

Awesome
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex

Okay, took my FXR21 out for the first time. I have mixed reviews compared to my 21i. I’m sure my impressions will change as I get used to it. The additional amount of porpoising was significant compared to my 21i which kinda shocked me. I couldn’t get it right even trimmed down and the jackplate set about half down but I know it’s probably just seat time needed to get it under control. Heard a few rattles in the rough stuff when hitting the waves. However, I do have to say the FXR hull has a softer landing than my 21i. The bar is still out for me on rough water ride in the FXR vs 21i. My first impression is a tie right now. I felt the iClass did some things better and the FXR did some things better in the rougher water. The 21i is a SUV and isn’t agile. I think the hull compromise made in the FXR is the agileness. It’s for sure funner to drive than the iClass. The iClass always felt heavy and sluggish (even though it would do 70). I love the platform and everything about the boat and I like not having to drive through the chine. In hindsight I probably should have test drove a Caymas to compare but I’m pretty happy. I think I was more excited about my new Mega 360 and Livescope I added. Man, it’s cool. LOL
    Last edited by Ranchdip; 04-19-2023 at 11:24 PM.
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex

17. Member
    Congrats on the new boat again and the new toys. I hope you get used to the ride and handling, I bet it will come.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.