recessed trolling pedal

Hello my is Rodney I'm new to the forum. I just bought a new tracker pro 170 and i want to put recessed box for the trolling motor pedal in and wondering if it will void the warranty for cutting into the deck. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by rhaas1957; 02-22-2023 at 08:33 PM.

2. Member
    Is best to ask the people you bought it from if it will void the warranty, or call Tracker

3. Member
    Well i called four different bass pro shops two said yes and two said no so i called corporate office. They told me it would void the 5 yrs warranty everything on the boat all welded, all electronics, expect the motor. So it a no go for me.

4. Member
    Buy an upgraded trolling motor with a foot pedal at the BPS store and ask them if they can install it. That Might save your warranty

5. Member
    I have the pedal just need the box cut in. I said them how much to install one they told that they will not cut the deck.

6. Member
    Most likely the cross-member support bracket runs across where the foot pedal would go. Cannot cut there. My 195 Tracker support bracket is right behind the foot pedal cutout.

Bass Pro might sell Tracker Boats, but White River Marine determines what voids their warranty terms.

There is absolutely room under the deck of a Pro 170 for a foot pedal tray. You can confirm this by unscrewing and removing the angled aluminum sheet that spans the gap from the deck to the welded aluminum bow piece and looking for yourself. There's a fairly substantial gap under that angled piece that will allow you to see the underside of the deck. The last horizontal deck spar spans the deck right about where the seat pedestal base is.

8. Member
    Chris that who I called and they told it would void the warranty. The support beam run bow to stern and one support beam in front of seat.

I just did a new to me 2016, and butted the tray up just under the edge of the angled panel at the bow. I did not contact any type of supports or cross beams. Tons of guys on face book have done theirs this way as well without issue. Its just wood, I could see if voiding your carpet/ deck warranty but I cant get the whole boat part. Worse part of the install is cutting all the foam away to get the tray down in there.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

Quote Originally Posted by rhaas1957 View Post
    Chris that who I called and they told it would void the warranty. The support beam run bow to stern and one support beam in front of seat.
    Dumb, but I guess it's their call. That being said, tons of people have put one in 170's so they will fit between the last horizontal support and the end of the wooden deck. You wouldn't want the tray directly under the seat anyway - it would be too close to make using it comfortable.

As far as cutting foam to install one - you shouldn't have to remove that much to make a difference in floatation. But, if you were worried about it, you can buy two part foam on amazon to fill in dead space left in other areas to make up for the small amount of foam that is removed.

The real hard part about putting the tray in is piping the drain somewhere useful on a 170. Regardless of what people say, there's no channel to the bilge under the foam under front part of the deck. If you dig through the foam you'll eventually hit bare hull:

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1128682

11. Member
    tray will absolutely work, i referenced this video before doing mine, super easy, nothing in the way.

as far as warranty, who cares what basspro says, check with tracker. either way, I wouldn't hesitate to install one, big game changer

12. Member
    No it will not void the warranty. That is Illegal under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The only thing they could do is deny a warranty claim on the deck if they can prove that adding the tray caused the problem. In my experience White River Marine and BPS are both worthless to deal with on questions like that.