Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Floor for Soft Canopy Boat Storage

So, in my other thread someone metioned putting a floor in my canopy boat storage to reduce condenstaion since has walls all around... I assuming the simplest solution is a nice heavy duty tarp... assuming a tarp laid on the ground would hold up to a trailer rolling across it? Staking down the sides to keep it from slinding around... does color matter. Canopy and walls are white, don't care about color other than if certain colors are better for keeping condensdation down.

The typical blue HF tarps are 4 mil, and likely not very durable (at least for rolling a trailer across), but they also have green at 7mil I think, and black at 12mil. I assume I would want to get the heaviest/most durable I can.

Or do I need to be looking at some other solution all together?

https://www.harborfreight.com/collec...arp-57029.html
    Last edited by 78Staff; 04-14-2023 at 09:20 PM.

2. Member
    Id get a dump truck full of gravel, and just make it nice. $250 or so should do it.

3. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    Id get a dump truck full of gravel, and just make it nice. $250 or so should do it.
    this^^^^^ if you can't concrete it just get some good gravel... A tarp would be horrible..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

So I would need to dig up/remove the grass, correct? Or just dump the gravel directly on it?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    So I would need to dig up/remove the grass, correct? Or just dump the gravel directly on it?
    Yes I would scrap that top layer of sod off, so the grass doesnít immediately gross back through it. Probably scrap off 2-3 inches worth

6. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    you might also consider asphalt millings... it packs really nice and after some hot days it's almost like pavement.. my neighbor did his entire driveway and under his carports and it turned out great.. it also has no vegetation growing through it..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

I used gravel also. It helps a lot of you put down landscape fabric first. That will help keep the gravel from getting pushed into the dirt and disappearing

Gravel it is, got a quote - $395 for enough to do 12x30, I think he said 5 tons but I might have misheard that. Anyway, that's for unwashed, which I assume is fine for parking boat on. Washed would be $595. Delivered price on both, but I would have to spread it. If I want them to spread it, it's another $395 (which I think is the daily rental for a walk-behind skid-steer, I suppose they just rent one - not sure. Anyway should have it in a week or two.

9. Member
    A good driver could darn near spread it while dumping it so you just have to level it out and work the edges.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Gravel it is, got a quote - $395 for enough to do 12x30, I think he said 5 tons but I might have misheard that. Anyway, that's for unwashed, which I assume is fine for parking boat on. Washed would be $595. Delivered price on both, but I would have to spread it. If I want them to spread it, it's another $395 (which I think is the daily rental for a walk-behind skid-steer, I suppose they just rent one - not sure. Anyway should have it in a week or two.
    Your driver dropping the gravel off, can start at the back of your spot and slowly pull forward as heís dumping. It will kind of spread it for you. Then just get you a metal rake and get to spreading. Iíve done it a 100 times. Take you a few hours but hell of lot cheaper than paying someone.

ok yes sorry they did mention they could use the truck to drop/spread it as he pulls forward, but since I have the Canopy he wouldn't be able to get back there, so would be dumping it at the front of the canopy. I suppose I could take down the canopy and put it back up after, but tbh that might be more work than just spreading the gravel lol... It's a multi person job.

I'd hire someone with a bobcat to spread it. 5 tons is a lot of rock .

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    I'd hire someone with a bobcat to spread it. 5 tons is a lot of rock .
    Does seem like a lot. I told him 12x30 (really more like 12x25 but figured I'd fudge high.).

14. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    can't just a couple of guys move that thing?

5 tons is probably right, i would get the washed rock personally. Why buy dirt with the rock, id rather just immediately have fresh rock and less muddy foot prints.

5 tons sucks to do by hand but can be done, can you and 3 others just pick up the whole thing and move it as a whole?

Possibly, have to undo anchors and such, and co-ordinate getting a coupld guys over close to or on "gravel day" - last time i tried to coodinate 3 guys to help me set it up was a sh$tshow... one guy showed up said he only had like 20 min and had to leave, the 2nd guy was 3 hours late. Maybe I just need better friends lol.

I wasn't sure what washed meant, exactly - wasn't sure if an industry term, ie "washed" meant less "non gravel" in the mix, or if it literally just meant washed, ie like pretty white gravel. So for $200 upcharge you think washed is worth it?

17. Member
    Gravel wont help condensation which I believe was your intial concern.

Gravel on top of a 12mil tarp may help as long as the tarp is graded to drain off.

Vents at the gable ends will probably do more to help condensation than bottom cover.

Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    Gravel wont help condensation which I believe was your intial concern.

Gravel on top of a 12mil tarp may help as long as the tarp is graded to drain off.

Vents at the gable ends will probably do more to help condensation than bottom cover.
    Yeah, pretty much was the purpose... but it it won't help then I may not bother with it then :(.

The way it's designed I could loosen open a small section at the top of each end, I think - but this would also allow weather in as well of course.

I mainly bought the kit for the front/rear panels actually, the sides came with it but since it's close to my house and a solid fence, they may not be comletely necessary. The sides do have covered mesh windows, I could roll those up which would provide some ventilation I suppose. Or could remove the walls completely even, but again allowing in more weather. I think I'll try rolling up the sides first and see how it goes, and determine next steps from there.

19. Member
    Should of clarified. I like the idea of gravel, as long as there is a moisture barrier (12mil tarp) under the gravel thats graded so water doesnt pool.

Opening a "window" vent on each side of the tent allowing a cross breeze can be a big help too.

Looking at the picture, I would grade the spot, lay a moisture barrier, place gravel on top, keep the sides installed and roll up one window on each side of canopy. This shoud give enough ventilation while also stopping moiature from coming up through the ground. Washed gravel is ideal as it wont track off your shoes into the boat and make a big mess. Alternate would be to have a rug or something out there you can take your shoes off on.

Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    Should of clarified. I like the idea of gravel, as long as there is a moisture barrier (12mil tarp) under the gravel thats graded so water doesnt pool.

Opening a "window" vent on each side of the tent allowing a cross breeze can be a big help too.

Looking at the picture, I would grade the spot, lay a moisture barrier, place gravel on top, keep the sides installed and roll up one window on each side of canopy. This shoud give enough ventilation while also stopping moiature from coming up through the ground. Washed gravel is ideal as it wont track off your shoes into the boat and make a big mess. Alternate would be to have a rug or something out there you can take your shoes off on.
    Good tips, thanks. Going to investigate the roll up option later this afternoon. I had asked the gravel guy about laying down a barrier, he said he wouldn't bother but he may not of understood why I wanted it.

Is there a specific fabric I need, that I can get from say Home Depot or similar?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast