Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Well this is still on the agenda, just testing out some things first. I opened up one window on each side at opposite ends, so have a screened window on each side open for airflow now. I also have a fan on a timer that kicks on around 4am and runs for a few hours to help air circulate in the early morning hours. So far it seem to have cut down on the consendation quite a bit.

Still would like a gravel floor if for nothing else to be a bit more tidy, and to level it out a bit, but now I can take my time and work on preping the area (scraping grass, maybe leveling a bit, laying down cloth, and then getting the gravel delivered, etc.

Use pavers on the ground. I also would look at a way to vent that tent.

3. Member
    I like pea gravel rather than regular gravel. Every time you have to get on the ground to put a plug in or do something like cleaning the hull or trailer you end up with gravel dust all over you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Use pavers on the ground. I also would look at a way to vent that tent.
    Was able to pull back the fabric at the peaks and fasten to the pole running down the center to open it up at each end without exposing to much the the elements, so will see how that does for a few days...

Do pavers have a weight limit, most of the ones I saw at HD seemed more decorative than load bearing. Maybe I need to look somewhere else for them.

Im now at the point i think you should pour concrete. If you do it yourself you may be amazed at how inexpensive it will be. Compared to pavers

6. Member
    I had a metal building built(30x30) with 6 inches of insulation thru and thru. I later added pegged board and had a few rolls of insulation left, so 8 ft on 3 sides all the way around got another 6 inches. The gentleman that built the building told me I would have condensation issues. He was correct! Even with a heat pump I still run a small barrel fan. Air movement is the key to no condensation.!! 9 yrs later I still have no condensation!
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

Do they still make larger canopy's?

I have an older 27 X 12 King Canopy for my Zx250 and it will need to be replace soon

so I've been looking and really don't see a good option
    "The handicapped angler"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    I'd hire someone with a bobcat to spread it. 5 tons is a lot of rock .
    it is a lot but not undoable. We put down over 5 tons of stone in our driveway last year with shovels, rakes, a single wheelbarrow, and a vibratory compactor. Took about 12 hours to do with 2 people.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    So I would need to dig up/remove the grass, correct? Or just dump the gravel directly on it?
    Cut grass really short, Lay out some plastic, cover with tar paper and then the gravel
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Do they still make larger canopy's?

I have an older 27 X 12 King Canopy for my Zx250 and it will need to be replace soon

so I've been looking and really don't see a good option
    They only offer the 27ft in a 10ft width currently - I would have preferred the 12x27, but in the 12ft width the 20ft is the longest they offer, unfortunately. I actually called them to see if they could make one and they said no.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    They only offer the 27ft in a 10ft width currently - I would have preferred the 12x27, but in the 12ft width the 20ft is the longest they offer, unfortunately. I actually called them to see if they could make one and they said no.
    lol I called them and asked if they could just make the cover and I was will to pay extra - they said no
    "The handicapped angler"

12. Member
    12'X30' X 4 inches thick would require 4 1/2 cubic yards of concrete, with a plastic barrier under it is the best solution.

Boat's at the dealer for a day to two, so opened up the canopy to air it out/clean it up a bit, etc... grass has died/went dormant nicely :).

Tarp is fine. I did that in mine for several years until I built my garage. I put tongue and groove rough milled pine down to hold the tarp and park my tires on. kept the moisture down just fine.
    Stone will still allow moisture through. Keep it simple and cheap.
    You can even get the rubber bottom indoor/outdoor carpeting to put on it if you want at home depot or lowes.

Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    Tarp is fine. I did that in mine for several years until I built my garage. I put tongue and groove rough milled pine down to hold the tarp and park my tires on. kept the moisture down just fine.
    Stone will still allow moisture through. Keep it simple and cheap.
    You can even get the rubber bottom indoor/outdoor carpeting to put on it if you want at home depot or lowes.
    Thanks that's good to hear, I've kinda moved my thought process away from stone/gravel for time being... did get some quotes for just paving it but it's too expensive for me to tackle now. Plus, if I go that route (paving) I'd likely look at a more long term storage structure as well and tie them together. For now I think a bit of leveling and save up for a more permanent setup. I'll revist the tarp/paver type options.

So almost a year later, I finally put down some gravel lol... Was $599 for 6 ton/yard of washed 3/4" mix. They dumped it this morning at 7am... had two buddies come over mid morning and we knocked it out in about 2 hours the old fashioned way. Basically covers floor of canopy as well as in front far enough for the truck to sit on as well. Thinking I might go ahead and get driveway extended/widened to make up the distance from there to the road, about 30x13.

Anyway, pretty happy with it, at least a few hours in lol. It was a bit smaller stone than I expected (I want to say it was 3/4-1" mix, but there is some smaller scree in there as well) - probably unavoidable I guess.

Darker spots are where dirt was shoveled up with the gravel (can't complain about free help right lol). Will probably hose that off after I go back and forth on it a few times to get it settled.

Looks good.

18. Member
    I hope you r getting some type of limestone and not what I call round gravel. 610 or crush and run is what we used to call the really fine limestone. But for a normal drive way I think we used 57. Round gravel never sets up. At least in my years of gas company work.

Def not round, not sure what the trade name for it is, but it's specifically for driveways and such.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 03-04-2024 at 04:45 PM. Reason: spellin

Looks good, with it being white and in Florida, would the sun not help keep the moisture down?
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast