Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Aluminum rangers

I sold my z520 had one last 13 years. I am looking at rt188 or rt 198.I am looking for any and all advice both good and bad on theae.. What options are a must ? Thanks in advance

2. Banned
    I like my 198. Came from 521

3. Member
    I had a RT188 coming from a VS188. Honestly I liked the 188 just as good if not better. The obvious, speed was the main issue but you know that going in. Just remember you're in an aluminum boat so don't go jumping those bigger waves like you would in a fiberglass boat.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

4. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I love my RT188. I came from a Triton 21 and honestly I dont miss it or the room. BUT, I do not fish tournaments anymore either.
    I added a few things to my188 and it suits my fishing style just fine.
    I added a coin box and a step up to front deck and trick steps. I am HAPPY with it.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

I really like my 198.
    As you can see I have my rig loaded.
    As stated in other posts, it is an Aluminum boat, so it is less tolerant to rough conditions.
    For me, I wish it had a little more leg room.
    Lots of storage throughout the boat including the transom area.
    Very good speed. Even loaded down with a with a 1/2 filled tank, I can hit 53 mph.
    Very easy to load and unload.
    I think you'll be happy. (I am more mentally comfortable in my tin than I was in the Fiberglass.)
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

6. Southern Cross Crappie
    198p here. It's not the Maserati that my 19' Javelin was but it's also not the dump truck that my G3 was. Ride is fantastic. My buddy compares it to the ride of his 520C Ranger. It's not that good but it's fantastic for an aluminum boat. Just know going in that it's a 50mph boat. Some extra $$ will speed it up a bit but it's still a 50mph boat. Only changes I've made is adding struts to the compartments that don't already have them. Few bucks on Amazon and installed them myself. IF I were doing it all over again, I'd add larger Helix units than the ones I had installed when I bought it. Good Fishing! It's a great rig.

7. Member
    2021 RT198p here. Love it now. Had to get used to it and learn how to handle and load it coming from a smaller boat.

I run 55-56mph by myself full tank no livewell water. So fast enough for what I do. I run a Bravo 1 FS 4-blade. It runs much better for me than the Tempest Plus that came with the boat. That is one potential upgrade.

It rides soft in moderate chop when you are at full speed and trimmed up. It runs less soft at slower speeds with less trim as obviously more hull is wet and you don't cut waves as well. I usually just run 50mph with lots of trim whenever I am running the boat likes that and I do to.

What is worth paying for are:
    - tandem trailer
    - 4-blade prop as you backup
    - spotlock trolling motor
    - jackplate (manual 6"-8") is a must
    - graphs as much screen size as you can afford
    - sonar tricks of you choice (FFS, 360)

Look... people love to bash the new Ranger aluminums. They do go cheap on some parts like bunk carpet, lug nuts, trailer shackles and bolts, a few other areas maybe. I upgraded these and I still ended up at an attractive price point.

The main goal is to have a great fishing platform and the 198p... and I am sure the 188p, definitely hit that mark.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

8. Member
    2020 RT198 here. 150 ProXs, 4" hydraulic jackplate, 8' power poles, tandem axle trailer, 3 twelve-inch graphs (HDS12 at console, HDS 12 and Helix 12 at bow), Ultrex, MEGA 360, and Active Target among other things. It's a fantastic boat. As others have stated, you have to remember that it's an aluminum boat....it does have its limitations. But for what it is, it's a great riding/handling/fishing machine. Very stable, handles rough water very well. I care less than zero about speed but fully loaded with 3 grown men, it's an upper 40's/50 mph boat. Some add-ons I would suggest...

1) Trick step - best money I've spent on this boat
    2) Keel guard - yes, it can be done...
    3) Hot foot and dual trim levers
    4) Remote drain (this may be standard on the new models, not sure)
    5) Remote (external) battery plug in port (again, this may be standard now, not sure)
    6) DD26 transom saver
    7) Power pole covers from Rod Warrior USA
    8) Tuffskinz motor cover

Hope this helps.

Reb

9. Member
    I love my 2015 198P, it's been a great boat so far.

If fishing bigger waters I would get the p (pad) model for a better ride. You will still get some wave splash on windy days, can't avoid it!
    Definitely get a spot lock trolling motor, brand of motor is your choice.

I spent over 20 years in glass boats and don't miss it one bit. Very happy with the Ranger!

10. Member
    Better TM and upgrade the electronics. Max out HP.

11. Member
    I would look into something else for aluminium the RT188 only comes with a 115 and the RT198 which is 2 inches short of being a 20' boat only comes with a 150 as the biggest motor. Both are underpowered. Crestliner makes an 18 footer with a 150 on it and a 19 footer with a 200hp and so does Xpress, even a Tracker 195 is about the same size as an RT188 and you can get a 150 on it. I don't know why Ranger underpoweres their aluminum boats so much.

12. Member
    I would get the 188p because I don't trust any .100 tin to last with a 450# motor. Listed below are my options, but the most important is the Ultrex and the Step.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    I love my RT188. I came from a Triton 21 and honestly I dont miss it or the room. BUT, I do not fish tournaments anymore either.
    I added a few things to my188 and it suits my fishing style just fine.
    I added a coin box and a step up to front deck and trick steps. I am HAPPY with it.
    Your trick steps did you buy lock they sell?

14. Member
    I have a 150 Etec on my RT188 with a jet unit….so it’s technically a 105 hp, but the weight is the same a regular 150. No issues with weight.
    2018 Ranger RT188 Custom Jet
    150/105 Evinrude ETEC Jet

15. Member
    Love my RT188. Have spent the winter doing some mods and tomorrow will be adding my new ultrex. Great boat

ADDED Ultrex to my RT188. I have a 115 Yamaha...Fast enough for me. I had fast boats before and do not need one now.
    The Ultrex made a good boat a great boat. The front deck is awesome with space and layout considered.

I would be more concerned with a brand new one since they moved the manufacturing plant. If I was buying new, I woukd probably look elsewhere....maybe Xpress or Vexus. I also would not hang anything bigger than a 115 on .100 aluminum. There is a reason Xpress uses thicker aluminum in the boats with big HP motors.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

17. Member
    Lol I love the great lengths people go though to justify having a small motor. There is no difference on the amount of issues with the hulls of .100 aluminum boats with 150 HP vs ones with 115 hp and smaller motors. A lot more goes into the equation than how thick the aluminium is, I have seen transom welds cracks on boats with 50-60 HP motors just like what can happen with a 150 HP motor. It is a universal issue with all welded aluminum boat brands, some crack and some don't, all has to do with how well the welds were done. Not that big of a deal to fix either If you can find someone or a shop that welds aluminum, just one of those things you may have to deal with when owning an aluminum boat, don't let it scare you.

18. Member
    It can be a big deal welding up a crack with the way a lot of boats are made these days. With the decks being welded to the hull and all the foam injected in the hull it can be a very expensive fix. That’s why a lot of cracked hulls get sent back to the factory and oftentimes they replace the hull rather than try to repair it under warranty.

I have the Triton TX18 with the Mercury 115 and it’s fine for the fishing I do.
    Not everyone with a boat cares about running a race from one spot to the next every time they start the motor. For the kind of fishing I do I seldom run over 35 MPH.

19. Member
    Yes it is a big big deal welding a crack in some places. A lot of shops won't even TOUCH it with the foam behind the crack.

Having a boat with .100 aluminum and a heavy motor over about a 115 HP is taking a risk you don't have to take. It is a mistake you can avoid. Xpress has been building these for a very long time and the bigger higher HP boats have thicker aluminum - at least in the transom. I am sure they do it for a reason.

Personally, if the boat had a 150 or bigger on .100 aluminum, I would not buy it. Why risk it? Find a manufacturer that uses a heavier structure.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    Yes it is a big big deal welding a crack in some places. A lot of shops won't even TOUCH it with the foam behind the crack.

Having a boat with .100 aluminum and a heavy motor over about a 115 HP is taking a risk you don't have to take. It is a mistake you can avoid. Xpress has been building these for a very long time and the bigger higher HP boats have thicker aluminum - at least in the transom. I am sure they do it for a reason.

Personally, if the boat had a 150 or bigger on .100 aluminum, I would not buy it. Why risk it? Find a manufacturer that uses a heavier structure.
    you do realize almost all aluminum boats manufacturer uses .100 thick aluminum and express uses .125 which is more but not more when talking thousandths

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast