Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    How important is hydraulic steering with a 115 motor/18 foot boat?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat's Dad View Post
    I don't think it's needed. I had a 2003 g3 I ended up repower it in 2017 with a 115 four stroke. never had hydraulic steering and had no issues. it steered great

3. Member
    Not really needed with a 115.... but like said somewhere above --- if you go over 115 to a 150. Get it for sure. It is a lot like power steering in a car. If you can get it with a 115, it is still very nice to have....but not really "needed"...
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

4. #FRB
    Adjust the tab on the cavitation plate properly and it will steer like a dream with cable steering. Just a little angle will go a long way. I'm not even sure I'd have hydraulic with a 150hp unless the boat came with it standard. Just personal preference talking here but did have hydraulic on both of my glass rigs with a 200. The boats I've driven with cable steering on a 150 and 175 all steered fine when set up correctly.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I have two RT188's, one with hydraulic steering and one with cable steering. Its not an exact comparison as the one with cable steering has a 90 and the one with hydraulic has the 115 ProXS and there is about 4 mph between the two for top speed. Not much difference really, the hydraulic feels a bit "stiffer" and took some getting used to but I probably prefer it now by a slight margin.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

6. Member
    Interesting. I once called Xpress to ask a few questions and got somebody sorta sounded high up told me whatever I do to get the hydraulic steering . Maybe it's because the 18 foot Xpress is a pad hull? I have no idea about any of this.

i really wish Xpress would bring back that camo jet tunnel hull bass boat they made in three lengths about 5 years ago. I bet they never sold any and that's why they dropped the whole line, but would have been perfect for my needs.
    Last edited by Nat's Dad; 03-13-2023 at 09:43 PM.

7. Member
    Interested in changing the prop on my RT198 to a four blade. Which one did you use and are you satisfied with it??

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherwood View Post
    Interested in changing the prop on my RT198 to a four blade. Which one did you use and are you satisfied with it??
    I run a Bravo 1 FS 4-blade that is better than the Tempest Plus that came with the boat that Marks Props worked for me. Bravo is slightly slower in top speed but better everywhere else. Love it. If the Tempest did not break loose at breakover I would be running it.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

9. Member
    When you get old and cranky and don't mind going less than 70 a Ranger tin will fit the bill. It will outlive me.

10. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boat4Life View Post
    Well, aren't you special!

Naaaaa, I'm just pawn in game of life....
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherwood View Post
    Croxton Razor4 XLR preforms much better on mine than the 24 or 23 Tempest plus did.
    2021 rt188p , Mercury 115 Pro XS CT , Croxton Razor 4XLR 22 , Z lock 4” jack plate , 8’ power pole blades

12. Member
    Thinking of changing my prop also, do you remember the part# or the pitch?? Did you buy it direct from the OEM?? Sorry for so many questions, these things are so expensive i don't want to make a mistake. Thank you!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234