Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I agree with using .125 aluminum on the hull of an aluminum boat. Regular readers of this forum have seen many cracks and other failures over the years most of which was .100 thick.
    If I am not mistaken, Vexus has started using .125 on their hulls after experiencing some cracks.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    Yes it is a big big deal welding a crack in some places. A lot of shops won't even TOUCH it with the foam behind the crack.

Having a boat with .100 aluminum and a heavy motor over about a 115 HP is taking a risk you don't have to take. It is a mistake you can avoid. Xpress has been building these for a very long time and the bigger higher HP boats have thicker aluminum - at least in the transom. I am sure they do it for a reason.

Personally, if the boat had a 150 or bigger on .100 aluminum, I would not buy it. Why risk it? Find a manufacturer that uses a heavier structure.
    Whatever makes you feel better LOL. In reality .125 aluminum boat with a 115hp could crack just like a .100 aluminum boat with a 150 could, again there is more into the equation than how thick the aluminum is, like the quality of welds and how the transom is braced. Shops around here have no problems with fixing the welds on aluminum boats.

3. Member
    Thanks for all the input. Still have decided yet hopefully this week

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Whatever makes you feel better LOL. In reality .125 aluminum boat with a 115hp could crack just like a .100 aluminum boat with a 150 could, again there is more into the equation than how thick the aluminum is, like the quality of welds and how the transom is braced. Shops around here have no problems with fixing the welds on aluminum boats.
    So you are saying all things equal that you would just as soon or rather have a .100 aluminum as you had a .125 aluminum boat. They make both so why gamble...

There have been a lot of reports here for years on cracks in .100 aluminum hulls with heavy high HP motors and also some lower HP. It woukd be a hard sell for some to put tge extra stress on the .100....but they still sell them to some people. I understand why now.... they find people like you to sell them to. LOL.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I agree with using .125 aluminum on the hull of an aluminum boat. Regular readers of this forum have seen many cracks and other failures over the years most of which was .100 thick.
    If I am not mistaken, Vexus has started using .125 on their hulls after experiencing some cracks.
    EXACTLY RIGHT.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    So you are saying all things equal that you would just as soon or rather have a .100 aluminum as you had a .125 aluminum boat. They make both so why gamble...

There have been a lot of reports here for years on cracks in .100 aluminum hulls with heavy high HP motors and also some lower HP. It woukd be a hard sell for some to put tge extra stress on the .100....but they still sell them to some people. I understand why now.... they find people like you to sell them to. LOL.
    I am saying that a 150 hp motor is not a problem at all on a .100 aluminium hull as long as the welds are good and the transom is braced correctly, there is thousands of them running around without a single issue. Yes a .125 aluminium hull would be better, but a weld on it could crack just as easily if it isn't a good weld, the quality of the welds is more important than how thick the aluminium is, and it is very hard to get a consistent weld every time which is why some boats have cracked welds and some don't. Also I haven't seen a boat brand that offers both .100 and .125 options on the same hull.
    Last edited by bassfisher444; 02-28-2023 at 08:08 AM.

7. Member
    Ok a RT188 with a 115 is a very economical boat to own and operate. Once you move to a 150 all that changes. If you can stay away from rough water it is a GREAT boat.
    Semper Fi

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    Ok a RT188 with a 115 is a very economical boat to own and operate. Once you move to a 150 all that changes. If you can stay away from rough water it is a GREAT boat.
    Wow, just when I thought it couldn't get any better, you can't make this stuff up. What exactly changes that makes it less economical, and what makes it economical to begin with? I would love to hear this one.

9. Member
    I would actually agree with the 188 being more economical. I had a 188 before moving up to the 198. The 188 was a lighter boat and therefore was easier to trailer/etc. The 115 definitely burned less gas but being a smaller motor, lower speeds, etc I would expect that. I have a LOT more “stuff” on the 198 than I had on the 188 (power poles, dual 12-graphs at the bow, etc). It’s just a bigger, heavier boat that is a little more expensive to operate…just as a 21’ fiberglass boat with a 250 would be more expensive to operate than my 198. Both are great boats that fish as good as any with the trolling motor down. I don’t believe you’ll be disappointed.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelkris76 View Post
    I would actually agree with the 188 being more economical. I had a 188 before moving up to the 198. The 188 was a lighter boat and therefore was easier to trailer/etc. The 115 definitely burned less gas but being a smaller motor, lower speeds, etc I would expect that. I have a LOT more “stuff” on the 198 than I had on the 188 (power poles, dual 12-graphs at the bow, etc). It’s just a bigger, heavier boat that is a little more expensive to operate…just as a 21’ fiberglass boat with a 250 would be more expensive to operate than my 198. Both are great boats that fish as good as any with the trolling motor down. I don’t believe you’ll be disappointed.
    What about the same boat with a 115 vs a 150 HP?

11. Member
    Wow, just when I thought it couldn't get any better, you can't make this stuff up. What exactly changes that makes it less economical, and what makes it economical to begin with? I would love to hear this one.
    pretty simple, but I will try to explain it to you if you don’t understand. It’s lighter, there for uses less fuel to tow and to drive.
    The 115 pro sx sips fuel. The 150 not so much. Don’t really care how you drive it it isn’t going to get the same fuel economy that the 115 gets. Any way moving on.

to the op, The RT188 is a good boat. We like ours. I may move to a bigger glass boat in year or so to be better in rough water. I am holding off though cause it cost me very little to use this boat
    Semper Fi

12. Member
    pretty simple, but I will try to explain it to you if you don’t understand. It’s lighter, there for uses less fuel to tow and to drive.
    The 115 pro sx sips fuel. The 150 not so much. Don’t really care how you drive it it isn’t going to get the same fuel economy that the 115 gets. Any way moving on.

to the op, The RT188 is a good boat. We like ours. I may move to a bigger glass boat in year or so to be better in rough water. I am holding off though cause it cost me very little to use this boat
    On the same boat the 150 will use more fuel than the 115 both running wide open, but if you run the 150 at part throttle going the same speed as the 115 does wide open then the 150 will use less fuel.

13. Member
    On the same boat the 150 will use more fuel than the 115 both running wide open, but if you run the 150 at part throttle going the same speed as the 115 does wide open then the 150 will use less fuel.
    ^^^^This

I run the Merc 150 4S and it is super economical on fuel. Super easy to do 100hr maintenance yourself.

Nothing wrong with the 115 it is a solid outboard as well. If you are wanting to run at 35mph I bet the 115 uses less fuel. If you want to run at 45mph, I would bet the 150 uses less. If you want to run at 50-55mph, good luck with the 115 on most hulls.
    Last edited by Johnnyred; 03-02-2023 at 07:21 AM.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

14. Member

Rt188 does not come with a 150. Bigger boats do. Bigger boats weight more, just a thought. The 150 I have uses plenty of fuel
    Semper Fi

15. Member
    Rt188 does not come with a 150. Bigger boats do. Bigger boats weight more, just a thought. The 150 I have uses plenty of fuel
    Boats of other brands the same size or smaller than the RT188s do come with 150s though.

16. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by javjoe View Post
    I love my 2015 198P, it's been a great boat so far.

If fishing bigger waters I would get the p (pad) model for a better ride. You will still get some wave splash on windy days, can't avoid it!
    Definitely get a spot lock trolling motor, brand of motor is your choice.

I spent over 20 years in glass boats and don't miss it one bit. Very happy with the Ranger!
    X2...

TM with spot lock is a must!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

17. Member
    Boats of other brands the same size or smaller than the RT188s do come with 150s though.
    The reason I went from fiberglass to Aluminum was to have a boat that was a little lighter and ran well with a smaller motor. So I bought a 19' Vexus with a 115hp. It has a .100 hull and performs great. My friend has owned a Ranger RT188 with 115hp for a few years and loves it. The big motors on aluminum boats don't interest me. If I was wanting to run fast and felt I needed a 150-200hp engine, I would stay with glass boats.

18. Member
    The Merc 150 4S is a four cylinder. Trust me it is NOT a "big" engine in relative terms. Works great on 19ft plus or minus aluminum hulls.

But please... carry on bashing that combo. It is entertaining!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boat4Life View Post
    The reason I went from fiberglass to Aluminum was to have a boat that was a little lighter and ran well with a smaller motor. So I bought a 19' Vexus with a 115hp. It has a .100 hull and performs great. My friend has owned a Ranger RT188 with 115hp for a few years and loves it. The big motors on aluminum boats don't interest me. If I was wanting to run fast and felt I needed a 150-200hp engine, I would stay with glass boats.
    Not everyone wants a fiberglass boat, aluminum is better for where and how I fish. An 18.5' aluminium boat with a 150 hp on it is ideal for me.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyred View Post
    The Merc 150 4S is a four cylinder. Trust me it is NOT a "big" engine in relative terms. Works great on 19ft plus or minus aluminum hulls.
    I agree.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast