Thread: Rifle refurb

Rifle refurb

Been tinkering with this old Savage Model 6A aka Click-clack or Gill gun. I inherited it from my uncle but I don't know much about the history. I assume it belonged to my grandfather but I spent a lot of time with old Pops and I never saw him use it. I do know it spent many years in my uncle's garage doing varmint/pest control duties so it wasn't a pretty sight when I got it. I've since learned that this one is pre-WWII because it has checkering on the stock and a single gill ahead of the ejection port.

Didn't think to take any "before" pics but the stock had a thick layer of dust, grime, and paint drips. The action hadn't been cleaned in a very long time. There were dead bugs in the barrel and mud daubers had filled the gills. It also had a cheap Weaver scope on it that was toast so I replaced it with a 1960's Weaver B4 which isn't the best fit but it's what I had in the drawer and it's close to the right vintage.

Got a lot of helpful info off Rimfire Central and Utube on how to disassemble the gun and scope as well as bringing the stock back to life. Most of the paint was worn off the trigger guard and I was going to paint it black again but once I got it shined-up, I kinda like the looks of the silver. What do you think?

Gill gun.jpg

IMG_3858.JPG
    Last edited by BP in ME; 02-21-2023 at 06:23 PM.

2. Member
    Super cool.

3. Banned
    Looks good. Rimfire Central is a great site for .22's

That is looking really GOOD.

Looks really cool. Where did you get that nifty sharpie’s trigger lock? Ha ha
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS