Talons or PPs on a 203?

Boat is a '98 203 with the rear gas tank, 6" Bobs hydraulic, 250 Opti and 2 group 31 tm batteries on port side, 1 group 31 X2 AGM on starboard.

Obviously adding either Talons or PPs and the additional weight they bring in the back is going to affect the boat, but to what degree? Just losing a few mph? Totally different handling?

Anyone with either on their 203 care to share experiences, good or bad?

2. Okchamp210
    I have a 203 with power poles and they dont seem to affect the performance that I can tell. I did lose a few MPH after the Ultrex though

3. Member
    Where did you mount the PP pumps?

I know your brother wasn't happy losing a few MPH when he added the Ultrex to his rig! LOL

4. Member
    When I added poles to my rear tank 203 225 Merc, I lost a few seconds holeshot. Suckers dragged really bad especially with the livewells full. Swapped 4 AGM batteries out for Lithiums and tweaked the prop a little, now it is back to normal. Didn't lose any top end with them really that I have noticed. My boat has always been a 67-71 mph rig depending on how its loaded. Really weight sensitive.

5. Member
    I went with talons. Didn't like trying to figure out where the pumps would go. Also went with all lithium batteries. I'm not a guy who's worried about going fast, so that wasn't an issue in deciding what to get. I also have the quick disconnects on my talons which makes it so easy to take them off.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)