Question Considering new Truck tires LT vs P?

'04 GMC Sierra 1500 1/2 ton 265/75R/16 size tires
    95% of mileage pulling a 20' Basscat Puma tandem axle trailer, about 300LB tongue weight. I can tell it's back there. Just a little bouncy.
    Current tires are 11 years old with 25,000 miles
    No off road, or heavy bed loads
    I replace tires due to age before they need replacing for wear
    Wanting a highway all season tire
    I have always ran P tires

Should I consider LT tires?

2. Member
    Yes, I don't run P rated tires on anything heavier than a minivan. LT tires are the way to go for a full sized truck.

3. Member
    It might be worth considering. Is it necessary, no. But since you use the vehicle almost primarily for towing the LT tires are going to give you better handling characteristics. IMO it’s one of those things where if you want your truck to do it’s job at it’s best then worth it, but not necessary. Me personally I like a stiffer sidewall on my truck, I feel that even during regular driving say on a windy day it just feels more stable.

4. Member
    michelin has a lt tire that is very good
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    What tire is that? I have yet to see a Michelin tire that is good for a 4x4 truck.

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    When I buy new tires for my 4 by 4 it's always Michelin LT M&S.

7. Member
    I run Michelin Defender LTX on my GMC and they ride very stable when towing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Jimmy View Post
    I run Michelin Defender LTX on my GMC and they ride very stable when towing.
    I had a set of those on mine as well. About the only difference I noticed was it seems to have a harsher ride when empty. Oh, and I got a ton of miles out of them. IMO, they are not necessary on a 1/2 ton truck.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Member
    Really not needed on a half ton. Can’t put enough weight on them to justify the E range tires. Did it once. Switched from. 255/70/17 P to 275/65/17 E range. Same diameter Lost 3 mpg. You could feel more rolling resistance

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Really not needed on a half ton. Can’t put enough weight on them to justify the E range tires. Did it once. Switched from. 255/70/17 P to 275/65/17 E range. Same diameter Lost 3 mpg. You could feel more rolling resistance
    LT doesn't mean E rated. There is C,D,E, and F rated LT tires.

11. Member
    My last two 3/4 ton tow vehicles have only worn Michelin tires. Usually get 70k miles on a set.

I run P series on my F150
    Do way more highway miles than anything.
    Got about 30k on mine now and still going. Will probably have to have a set next spring and ill be putting the same thing on.

Once the factory tires wear out I always put LT's on. Last 2 Silverado's ('04 & '13) have had BFG's AT's TA KO's on them as soon as the OEM's wear out. So out of the last 350,000 miles, 275,000 have been on LT - AT's. I get less mileage, tires don't roll, you have to give them gas if you want them to move. But I have never been stuck. They go through any snow I can throw at them. I feel they handle the boat back there better. I launch at some smaller dirt launches and always get out with no questions. I like the look. The dealer always gives me the you don't need those. I give him the I don't care. I want them. I hardly ever load the bed of the truck. Twice a year I get a ton of pellets for my son.
    Are they necessary? Maybe not. But I want them. And will always have them.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.