Thread: BS

BS

Fishing Bob Sandlin in two weeks with Grandsons HS Bass Fishing teams.
    Any advice on launches and guidance to avoid any obstacles in the lake would be most appreciated.
    I have the chip and will head out this week to prefish and with them this weekend.

2. Member
    I have lived on Bob Sandlin for almost 7 years. I have witnessed the HS Tournaments several times and wish you luck and a lot of patience! You will probably launch north of the dam at the Titus County Public park and boat ramp, which will obviously be crowded. There is a concrete water intake structure just south of that ramp, stay clear as it has been very dangerous in the past, especially during darkness, it only has one single red light on top! Barefoot Bay Marina is an option, but charges $5 or so and very expensive fuel. There are public ramps on each end of Hwy 21 bridge also, the south ramp has a pier/dock, more parking and much better.

We have had a lot of rain in the last 3 weeks, the lake is full, stained due to high winds and rain run off. Monticello cove will be the most popular place for these kids and super crowded, so much that you can walk across the boats. I happened to be there last year well before daylight and could not believe how many boats were there during this same tournament. I suggest you avoid it and don’t follow the crowd. There are plenty of other slews and coves to find fish and get out of the predominantly southwest wind. Just like any other lake, there is a lot of stumps and timber just below the surface.

Water temp today was 51*, mostly stained, windy and we didn’t catch any fish.

Good luck.
    Last edited by jpt7779; 02-20-2023 at 09:18 PM.
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    I have lived on Bob Sandlin for almost 7 years. I have witnessed the HS Tournaments several times and wish you luck and a lot of patience! You will probably launch north of the dam at the Titus County Public park and boat ramp, which will obviously be crowded. There is a concrete water intake structure just south of that ramp, stay clear as it has been very dangerous in the past, especially during darkness, it only has one single red light on top! Barefoot Bay Marina is an option, but charges $5 or so and very expensive fuel. There are public ramps on each end of Hwy 21 bridge also, the south ramp has a pier/dock, more parking and much better.
    We have had a lot of rain in the last 3 weeks, the lake is full, stained due to high winds and rain run off. Monticello cove will be the most popular place for these kids and super crowded, so much that you can walk across the boats. I happened to be there last year well before daylight and could not believe how many boats were there during this same tournament. I suggest you avoid it and don’t follow the crowd. There are plenty of other slews and coves to find fish and get out of the predominantly southwest wind. Just like any other lake, there is a lot of stumps and timber just below the surface.

Water temp today was 51*, mostly stained, windy and we didn’t catch any fish.

Good luck.
    Thanks, much appreciated. This week will be my first on that Lake. About 164 boats or so in two Saturdays. It makes me enjoy my weekday fishing! Hopefully this warming trend and upcoming full moon will get the fish going.The boys are a lot more fun when they were catching fish!

4. Member
    We went in to Monticello cove yesterday to look around. The highest water temp was 53*, stained in the back but very clear in main cove. The fish have not moved into the shallow coves…………….yet.
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

5. Member
    Thanks. At least a small warmup. Should come up several more degrees in the next two weeks. We will head there Sunday to scout. Probably go to the Marina to launch and learn. Wind report has switched from sw to now nw for March 4. I will try and prepare for both. I finally got a good report from Fork from a friend who fished it Tuesday and had a good day, best in a long time. I will try it tomorrow and see how it goes there.