2023 Ranger RT178C

Looks like I'm going back in the aluminum boat business as I've ordered a new RT178C with a 75HP Mercury/80#Ultrex. It had a 3 month lead time so it's going to be a while before I can get it. After looking at Ranger, Express & Crestliner I pulled the trigger on the Ranger. Just liked the look better than the others although all appear to be high quality boats. I realize it won't be a speed demon & that's not really important to me. Going to the Ranger from an older Nitro 640LX/2 stroke 90HP Mercury. Which was still a good reliable boat. At my age It was just time for a new boat/4 stroke if I was ever going to get one. I'm interested in any other owners likes & dislikes on this particular model. Good or bad I want to hear it.

2. Member
    I am in the 188C. I love the boat. My only word of caution is, in rougher stuff it's a wet ride.

3. Member
    You made a wise choice with the Ultrex. The finest accessory I've ever had in 50 years of boats. My 188 is the best boat, with the TM down, I've ever owned. Get a Spitfire X7 because the rear end will need some lift. I agree on the wet ride, but that's a feature with tin boats.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    You made a wise choice with the Ultrex. The finest accessory I've ever had in 50 years of boats. My 188 is the best boat, with the TM down, I've ever owned. Get a Spitfire X7 because the rear end will need some lift. I agree on the wet ride, but that's a feature with tin boats.
    Coming from a 55lb Terrova on my old Nitro. I'll never be without spotlock/remote again after using that one for several years. Can't wait to get the Ranger/Ultrex on the water.

5. Member
    I run a 23 188C all over Rayburn and Rayburn can get boisterous quickly.
    I have owned lots of boats and all will get you wet in rough weather.
    That’s what rain gear is for.
    I am an old bay salt water fisherman I ran Boston Whaler’s Carolina Skiffs and Makos. I sold my last Mako and bought the Ranger for just fishing at home, geriatrics just made the bay trips to rough.
    I fish three days a week and I have been totally pleased with my Ranger.
    I went with the Lowrance Ghost package.
    The only upgrade I plan on is an auto bilge pump.
    Is the boat perfect, no and none are.

6. Member
    Seat post is too close to the foot pedal if you have long legs. My work around was to remove the drink holder and move the TM pedal towards the bow.

7. Member
    Still waiting on the RT178C to arrive, but I'm going over the rod holder base installation in my head & have a few questions. On my old Nitro I have Driftmaster rod holders & flat square 3/8" Lil Pro bases mounted to the deck in 6 locations on the boat & would like to stick with the same setup on the new Ranger. The front 2 look to be a simple install with easy access thru the removable box up front. I'm concerned that I may not have that same open access to the other 4. Especially the 2 in the rear corners. Ideally I want 1 in each back corner because I have an aluminum trolling bar setup that spans from one corner to the other. And I would like 1 on each side of the boat midway. One directly in front of the console & the other one in front of the rod box. For those of you with the RT178C, am I gonna be able to screw into the deck in these areas with out damaging something in the process? Don't want to go down that road. How much of those areas are foamed? Open enough for nuts/washers ? Is this a terrible idea ? Is it even possible in the rear corners ? I have this complete Driftmaster setup & want to utilize it on the new boat for crappie & multi-species fishing.

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by Wildcat62; 03-04-2023 at 11:55 AM.