Merc Monitor to SC1000 - Will everything work ?

Hello All,

I had a 2018 Ranger Z521L with a Mercury 250 Pro XS ( Info below ), This boat had a Merc Monitor with Water PSI gauge on one side, MPH/Trim and Fuel gauge on the other. Everything worked, although I couldn't get a trim reading on the Monitor screen.
    The boat was replaced with a 2022, same model, Engine was transferred to the new boat. The New boat has SC1000 gauges - Speed, Rpm ( both with the small digital screens at bottom ), and smaller Trim and Water PSI gauges.
    The Trim gauge does not work ( it didn't on Monitor of old boat either, but the little Trim guage did ), from reading here, I am assuming that I need to replace my analog 2 wire trim switch with a 3 wire trim sensor. Question is can I simply add this ? Should the additional wires be there in the engine cowl to plug into the new sensor ? If the answer is YES, can anyone share a P/N for the Trim Sensor ?
    2nd question should this fuel gauge on the new boat work ? Fuel gauge on the old boat worked. Or would I need additional hardware ?

Model# 1251P73bd
    Serial# 2B525854

Thanks In Advance !

Tony
    Last edited by TonyL; 02-20-2023 at 11:47 AM.

~Tony

2. Member
    yes 859187a1 , would surely think boat would be rigged same and fuel sendr should work same way
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... on the fuel level, that would depend on whether or not the manufacturer rigged the Fuel Harness into the boat (which connects to the engine near the oil pump).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks for input all ! Will be calling Rhonda soon for Trim Sensor 859187a1. Waiting to make sure I need nothing else.
    Well, was finally able to get boat to gas station today. First, I disconnected fuel bulb and pumped out 2 gallons of fuel that dealer put in to start my motor on this boat. 51 gallon tank was empty. I pumped in 26.44 gallons, expected to see somewhere in neighborhood of 1/2 tank. Instead gauges saying 23% . Before fueling I did a Hard Reset of gauges and calibrated fuel capacity to 51 gallons, Said No to Inverted Tank,Calibrated Fuel Tank 1 to Default, Tank 2 Not Installed, Fuel Used to Fuel Add, not Multiplier, under Fuel Used Cal Amount I cant change Refueled amount parameter. Any ideas to why tank off by 25 % ??

Thanks again !

~Tony

5. Member
    Update !

Was able to get my hands on old gauges out of old boat. News to me, it is a Merc Monitor but the Speed/Trim combo, Fuel, and Water PSI gauges are all labeled Faria Beede !! I assumed all of these gauges were Merc. ! OK, this helps me to understand maybe why my trim gauge (Faria) was working on the old boat but not on this one, when they are both using the same motor, trim switch/sensor. Assuming that the SC1000 gauges are ALL Merc. ?? Reading some old posts here last night ( Great Resource, thanks !), I'm thinking maybe I can correct my fuel issue with the multiplier ? Will play with it when off work this afternoon.

~Tony

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Might not want to mess with it just yet.

I'd suggest FILLING the tank, set up FUEL USED, and then run it to where you show 25 gallons used. What does the gauge THEN read?

Here's why: Marine fuel senders have to be set up based on a LIQUID that is trying to find it's own level, place in a BOAT floating upon ANOTHER liquid that is trying to find it's own level. In other words... not very precise to start with.

Add to that the pickup tube must be OFF the bottom of the tank (often by 3/4-1"), and you soon find that the gauge needs to read ZERO-BONE-DRY-NADA-BUT-FUMES somewhere around 15-20% capacity to prevent you from running out of gas every time you come on or off plane.

That leaves the remaining 80-85% of the fluid capacity as the "range" the gauge reads... and this is actually accurate as you can't access or use that last 15+/-% anyway.

SC1000 is an entire series of Smartcraft Instruments. But NOT all Smartcraft Devices are SC1000.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    OK Don, will do. I'll get her filled up to full and use up 25 gallons, will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the explanation! I was able to pull the engine cover today, seen the fuel/oil harness plugged in near the oil pump, and the 3 wires for the digital trim sender too, black/orange, yellow/white and blue. I traced out the analog trim sensor 2 wires into the engine area, one grounded to the block and the other went into what appears to be a jumper harness, # 8M0011989. Google tells me that this is a trim limit module. Another BBC post came up also where you advised someone else in my situation to remove this module. I'll do the same when I install the digital sensor. I recall that the SC1000 calibration procedure for the Trim asked to set motor to Bottom, Top, and Tow levels. I assume that this may now limit the trim travel once calibrated, rendering the Trim Limit Module useless along with the old analog sensor. Emailing Rhonda now for that Digital Trim Sensor.

Thanks,

~Tony

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Smartcraft Trim Calibration DOES NOT LIMIT TRIM RANGE OR TRAILER RANGE. It merely adapts the instrument and the values reported from the PCM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Smartcraft Trim Calibration DOES NOT LIMIT TRIM RANGE OR TRAILER RANGE. It merely adapts the instrument and the values reported from the PCM.
    Noted. Thank You

~Tony

10. Member
    Thanks Don and all for input !

Update/closing, hope this helps someone else ! Received my digital trim sensor from European Marine, got her installed and wala ! I have a trim gauge ! I will mention as someone else did and I think Don covered, the digital sensor/gauge does have a lag, is a bit slower than the analog. Understandably this info needs to be processed by ECM and sent to gauge, so its fine.
    Followed Dons directions on fuel tank calibration above - Just filled it up and ran 25 (1/2 tank) gallons out of it by the gauge data, went to fill up, I had to add more fuel than the gauge said I used, BUT, the guage moved closer to Full this time ( was reading like 1/3 - 1/2 of tank last time I filled ). Its about 7 gallons off now and appears to be tightening up the fuel used and actual amount of fuel I pumped in. It appears that the multiplier ? is doing its job and making corrections ? That or magic , Ill take it !

Thanks,

~Tony