Who's excited to get a 8.6 Blackout?

I know we have a couple fans of the .300 Blackout here but how about the 8.6? I have no idea what I'd use it for but it's really interesting IMO. That 1-in-3 twist really gets the slug spinning and the recoil is less than my 7mm-08. Looks like a great hog gun since I think it'll still produce over 1000ft pounds with a subsonic load. The only cons I've read is it requires a big bore suppressor and the specially engineered ammo ain't gonna be cheap. By the time you buy the rifle, ammo, suppressor, federal permit, and night scope you'll have spent enough to get a new bassboat

2. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    I definitely like the reported numbers, I've always been a .338 fan. With Faxon turning out barrels for an AR10 platform, you could do a fairly inexpensive build. With $4 per round prices on the only subsonic loads that Ammoseek had available, its pricey, but hell what isn't nowadays? I'm going to give it a year or two for more real world reviews before I jump on one, but I certainly like everything I'm reading.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmclairday2 View Post
    I definitely like the reported numbers, I've always been a .338 fan. With Faxon turning out barrels for an AR10 platform, you could do a fairly inexpensive build. With $4 per round prices on the only subsonic loads that Ammoseek had available, its pricey, but hell what isn't nowadays? I'm going to give it a year or two for more real world reviews before I jump on one, but I certainly like everything I'm reading.
    I never considered the rate of spin could effect bullet performance after impact. I always thought it was only about stabilizing the bullet for a straighter flight path.

Okay, im interested. But now im disappointed.

yesterday i was close to buying a suppressor but the one i want (banish 30) is not in stock so i cant get it started.

there was an omega 36m on sale, turns out that this modular can works upt to 338/8.6... had you started this thread by 11 am yesterday i would have got the 36m started!

5. Member
    I would rather stick to 7.62x39 over any of that blackout crap.

I already have a 338 Federal so I can just download that if needed.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I already have a 338 Federal so I can just download that if needed.
    How are you going to get the spin rate?

8. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    Believe me, I’m immediately skeptical of a new “latest and greatest” round. But, I don’t think you can deny this one, if it performs as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    How are you going to get the spin rate?
    I really do not care about it. My 338Fed has dropped every deer it has hit in its tracks - not even a step or a lunge. I was using it when it was known as a 338-08 wildcat before Federal claimed it. I am a big fan of anything 338 so I will keep my eye on it though.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I really do not care about it. My 338Fed has dropped every deer it has hit in its tracks - not even a step or a lunge. I was using it when it was known as a 338-08 wildcat before Federal claimed it. I am a big fan of anything 338 so I will keep my eye on it though.
    I'm sure the 338 does the job, I just don't want that kind of recoil. That's why I carry the 7mm-08 instead of the '06. If I was a bear hunter, I'd reconsider

11. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I'm sure the 338 does the job, I just don't want that kind of recoil. That's why I carry the 7mm-08 instead of the '06. If I was a bear hunter, I'd reconsider
    I was really surprised by this statement until I researched the recoil of the .338 Federal. Its right up there with an '06 in the 20ish pound range.

I have twin sister rifles that I had built on Remington 600 actions. One is a lightweight 7mm-08 that is 6 pounds with scope and 4 rounds. The other is a 338Fed that is just under 7 configured the same. Both have McMillan stocks in the same pattern plus the same Swarovski scope, mounts and rings. Believe it or not, that 1 pounds makes a difference. Other people who shoot both say the recoil is the same. Having shot both for years, the recoil is faster and the rifle jumps more vertical with the 7mm-08. The 338Fed recoil is slower, heavier and more straight back.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 02-22-2023 at 03:52 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal