Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bending Active Target bracket?

So watching the Big O tournament yesterday and today I hear Steve Kennedy talking about changing the angle on the AT bracket. After installing mine last year I kinda thought to myself that it looked like it was pointing awful low for shallow water fishing. Anyone done this with theirs in shallow water mainly and noticed a big difference?
    22 Triton TRX20 22 Pro XS 250
    16 Triton 1760sc 16 Merc 75hp

2. Member
    Following
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

3. Member
    Was he in scout mode?
    ciao,
    Marc

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    Was he in scout mode?
    Yes and was in 3-4ft of water. He said lowrance had brought some new brackets for him and other people but he said he bent his own. It was a good image and clear. Haven’t seen anything on lowrance site saying anything about a new bracket but I’m curious myself.

5. Member
    Was he in scout mode?
    Yes he was, he said he bent his bracket to get better performance in shallower water. He said Lowrance had made the scout mode to work better in deeper and that they have now come out with a new bracket for shallower water.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MI bassassassin View Post
    Yes he was, he said he bent his bracket to get better performance in shallower water. He said Lowrance had made the scout mode to work better in deeper and that they have now come out with a new bracket for shallower water.
    Figured that was the case. If I still lived in the OP's State (I grew up fishing there) or lived in Florida, I would bend the mount up on Scout mode also because of the flat bottom shallow lakes.
    ciao,
    Marc

7. Member
    I think I’m going to try bending it myself, I was just hoping that someone had real world experience and could give a little guidance.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

It's essentially an L bracket... bear in mind if you bend it "up" to shoot shallower in Scout Mode, you'll also be affecting the angle in which it shoots forward/down as well, shooting more out to the side. If you only intend to run in Scout mode that won't be any issue, but if you still want to run all three modes, you'd be better off just upgrading to either the Fish Obessesed or even better yet the Rytek Mounts.

EDIT - if you are talking abou the Scout Mode only mount, as shown in Steve's Facebook post, then yeah no issue bending it as it's only for Scout Mode :).
    Last edited by 78Staff; 02-20-2023 at 03:34 PM.

9. Member
    Another option might be to shim the mount and not bend the arm.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

Figured that was the case. If I still lived in the OP's State (I grew up fishing there) or lived in Florida, I would bend the mount up on Scout mode also because of the flat bottom shallow lakes.
    Exactly Marc, the day of install I stood back and looked at the mounted transducer and it just seemed to be pointing down a lot. All I could think was how far out is this going to work when almost all my fishing is 6' or less. I would think that the bracket would need to be at a different angle for different boat brands and individuals who fish different waters.

Quote Originally Posted by MI bassassassin View Post
    Another option might be to shim the mount and not bend the arm.
    There was some earlier talk about the shim I believe.

12. Member
    The Lowrance bracket that comes with AT will work BEST for one specific depth and one specific distance from the target. So unless you only fish in one specific depth range of water and a specific distance from the the target, you need to be able to adjust the angle by either bending the bracket or buying an adjustable bracket. Fishing in the north and in Canada, the fish will may be in more varied depths depending on the time of the year and I need to be able to adjust the angle to cover from 5 feet of water to say 30 feet of water depending on the time of year/species I am targeting and the only way to do this is with a bracket that will adjust.

13. Member
    Following.

I have a new AT2 install and have fished a couple times with it. My TM shaft leans forward and it is not plumb side-to-side, either. My next trip I plan to not only move the ducer down 1-2 teeth to get it shooting more straight forward for best distance in forward mode, but also get some measurements so I can consider bending the bracket (change the angle of the "L") so the ducer is plumb (straight up and down) when in forward mode. Really I consider both of these moves a way to "index" the ducer so my geometry is zeroed out.

Getting the ducer to sit plumb (straight up and down) while in forward mode by either bending the bracket or replacing it with another bracket will also have a positive affect on down and scout images... in theory anyway. At least at the water depths that Lowrance set the unit up for.

I am however intrigued by the prospect of having TWO angled TM mount brackets... one that is indexed and setup for shallow water and one that is indexed and setup for deep water. Deep and shallow would vary from user to user based on their lakes, fishing styles, etc.

I will admit to being ignorant of what aftermarket adjustable brackets are out there and how they may better address the issues discussed here.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

I would think to a degree having a fishing partner or even the given daily load on the boat would affect the distance. Scout mode shallow water fishing mainly imo.

15. Member
    Here is what Steve posted on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100043234302608
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke

16. Member
    Is he using AT1 and 1 xducer setup?

17. Member
    In the box with my AT2 was an extra bracket recommended for Scout mode in Shallow water.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

18. Member
    No, I haven’t googled it. Do they sell these shallow brackets separately? Seems like it would help us guys with the AT1, just screw the ducer onto the shallow bracket, without all the twisting and bending.

Any way to find the part number for the shallow water bracket?

19. Member
    Use a heat gun to soften the glue and pry the disk of with something sharp. Flatten the mount how you see fit. I did it with a hammer on the floor. Reattach the disk with some adhesive.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTTI View Post
    Use a heat gun to soften the glue and pry the disk of with something sharp. Flatten the mount how you see fit. I did it with a hammer on the floor. Reattach the disk with some adhesive.
    Have you noticed the difference or the benefits so far?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast