'94 Mercury 2.5 litre XRi (200) Poppet valve?

Serial Number: 06145393 (or the 6 might be a G)

1994 Mercury 2.5 litre XRi Engine rebuilt about 200 hours ago by previous owner

This is my first boat ('94 Gambler Intimidator), and I recently used the gas motor for the first time.

Problem: Engine fired up instantly, and idled smoothly in the no wake area. Boat popped up on plane instantly, and I ran about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle because this thing is faster than what I'm used to. After running a few miles, I got an alarm siren. Solid, constant, which I understand is an overheat alarm. So I shut down, and fished for about an hour. Decided to head back to the launch because of the alarm. Fired it up, no alarm, got up on plane and started running, no alarm. After a mile or two, the alarm came back so I shutdown. Fished for awhile, then fired it up and idled all the way back to the launch. I'd say it was a 20 minute run at idle speed. NO ALARM. After researching, it sounds like the poppet valve could be a very good candidate for the problem. Do you agree? Is there anything else I should be looking at or replacing while doing this? I'm a "you tube" mechanic (meaning most mechanical work I tackle is after watching a how-to video that says the job takes 1 hour and it takes me 4 lol), and have zero experience with outboard engines.

2. Member
    replace water pump first then inspect poppet for debri or sticking monitor water psi and report back, all 3 gaskets too and or complete kit with top housing
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Welcome to BBC!

Forget "tube" videos, everything you need, and correct, can be found right here.

You are right, the second character of your SN is a "G" (Mercury formats them digit, letter, 6 digits). Follow Joe's recommendation and I'll add, order a genuine Mercury service manual for your engine, only available in paper, anything else will be a bootleg copy that may, or may not, be correct for your engine.

Highly recommend European Marine for parts - If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Part# 96148A8, a tube of silicone sealer, some dawn dish-soap for impeller, and some 2-4-C grease for the splines would be the items needed to perform the task in most cases (other than some basic hand tools and torque wrenches).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks everyone. I'll let everyone know how it all works out

6. Member
    Update - Didn't feel comfortable doing it myself for the first time so I took it to a repair shop. The impeller was in bad shape. Also found out a black box on the engine had melted at some point, and probably was on fire (you can see flame damage). Apparently this black box "listens" for detonation while at high RPM's and retards the engine if it detects any. It was so hot it actually melted the flywheel cover a little.

7. Member
    was box removed or taken off and timming reset ????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Box removed, new (used) box put on and yes on timing.

9. Member