6 inch Yamamoto Kut Tail Worm Alternative

Anyone found a worm that is like the Kut Tail? I Neko rig this worm, but they stopped making the 6 inch size which was the one I used the most and have a very limited color selection. The 5 inch is too small and the 7.75 works and I can cut it back if need be. What I liked about the Kut tail was its weight (likely from the heavy salt content) which was heavy enough to skip under and around docks with a bait caster, VMC crossover ring and 3/32 nail weight. What I didn't like was the cost and they were pretty soft and tore up easy. I just got some of the BPS 6 inch Magnum Cut tails but they aren't as thick and weigh considerably less. I have not tried then yet. Looking for a reasonably priced thick worm that has some weight to it for skipping.

2. Member
    Yamamoto just came out with a Speed Senko

I think you would be happy with the 6' Strike King Cutter Worm. I switch over to this and it is about the same weight just a tad bit bulkier than the Yami Cut Tail. Decent colors selection also in the Cutter.

4. Member
    Thanks. I was thinking of the cutter. Have you neko rigged it?

Will take a look at the speed senko.

Yes I have Neko rigged it

6. Member
    missle baits quiver?
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher42 View Post
    missle baits quiver?
    This is good one also but I like the moving tail of the Yamamoto cut tail and Strike King Cutter

8. Scraps
    Zoom Ultravibe Speed Worm. Comes in regelar and magnum.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

9. Member
    I have used the quiver. For whatever reason I haven’t caught as many fish on it as the cut-tail. Going to try the strike king 6 inch cut-r.

10. Member
    Make your own from any curly tail worm, that's how it was invented by Mr. Yamamoto himself.

11. Member
    Not many worms have the weight of a Yamamoto kut tail.

Cut R worm would be my suggestion, so nothing to add there. One thing you might try that has a little less action than the Kut Tail, but with that same size and heft is the Zoom Fluke Stick. They're dense like the Yamamoto worms and they work really well for what you're doing. On that note, the Zoom Magnum Speed Worm is similar but with a little more action. You could also pretty easily lop off the tip of it and end up with something very close to the Kut Tail.

EDIT note: As I think more about it, I don't think the Magnum Speed Worm is as dense. The Fluke Stick is, though!
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 02-26-2023 at 10:32 PM.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

13. Member
    10-4. Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have some fluke sticks and the cut-r worms are on the way. Dock skipping time is here in this part of the world.

Be sure to update us with your thoughts once you put some of these baits to work! After waking up to yet another disruption to my son's school day, this time a 2 hour delay due to 1/4" ice accumulation which landed on top of the 16" of snow we got earlier in the week, I am very very jealous!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

15. Member
    Used the cut-r worm yesterday and it skips extremely well. Tougher plastic than the Yamamoto. Also like the action of the tail. I use a medium action bait casting rod and 15 flouro. 3/32 ounce nail weight.

16. Member
    Amistad Tackle, you could extend the length of a 5" Kut Tail by adding a part of a Senko to the top of the worm using a candle flame.
    Just saying...

17. Member
    The cut-r worm works fine. Also skipped a Zoom magnum trick worm today. Works well also.

Quote Originally Posted by SPOONMINNOW View Post
    Amistad Tackle, you could extend the length of a 5" Kut Tail by adding a part of a Senko to the top of the worm using a candle flame.
    Just saying...
    The 5” doesn’t have the same body thickness as the 6” very different in mass. The cut-r is very close to the 6” Cut tail