USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar

Anyone live by burchard?

Apparently lake was open last week but now ice covered. Word is it’s even lower than last year and ramp completely out of water and unusable
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

2. Member
    Well Jim it’s Saturday take the wife on a road trip and check it out and lets us know. I hope it fills up some we have a tournament there in May.
    John the Garage Doorman

3. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    Well Jim it’s Saturday take the wife on a road trip and check it out and lets us know. I hope it fills up some we have a tournament there in May.
    she would not be up for a road trip to check out a lake. Nice try John
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

4. Member
    2 small farm ponds in sw Iowa were still open this morning. I’m hoping to get out next weekend but looks pretty cold Friday night?

5. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    The only thing I know about Burchard is the GE waypoints I tagged it with. Never been there but hoping to get down there sometime this season. Heard it was pretty good before a draw down and renovation a few years back.

6. Member
    Drying up. Looks like it’s left to the kayakers

7. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    Drying up. Looks like it’s left to the kayakers
    With no measurable rainfall in this region the last couple of years it seems everything is drying up. Makes for some challenges at boat ramps and newly discovered under water hazzards. Pretty sad

8. Member
    I've never been to Burchard (never even heard of it honestly), and it's most likely a longshot, but you may want to check to see if there's anything obstructing inflow to the lake. A very small lake in my area was getting lower and lower, to the point the boat ramp was out of the water. My friend and I went and took a closer look at where water used to flow into the lake and found a couple of problems. First, a couple of tiles from the surrounding fields were plugged. Also, the ditch leading into the lake had silted in and wasn't allowing water to flow into the lake. We contacted the Iowa DOT since they own the land where the inflow is located. Within a week they were there with equipment to dig a trench to allow water to flow again. They didn't do anything with the tiles though. Within just this past year, with a couple heavy rainfalls, the lake went from being down about 8-10 feet to only being down about 3-4 feet. Boats are able to launch again and hopefully the ditch stays open for runoff to flow this upcoming year as well. Just a thought.