Optimax 115 bracket on Mercury XR6?

I have a 115 Optimax Serial # 1B803509 Model # 1115D83HY. I want to replace it with a bigger motor and I found a good deal on a Mercury 150 XR6, don't have the serial number but he says it's a 2001 model. It's in good shape but the only issue is both of the transom brackets are cracked. Will the ones from my 115 Optimax work on the XR6? They look the same to me.

2. Member
    With the serial numbers look up the parts break down for both. If the part number come back identical then I see no reason it wouldn't work.

3. Member
    possibly the same , wouldn't do it then your 115 has no way to install be hard to sell like that , find a set of good used brackets or new ones
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

And I can tell you that there was an update to the OEM brackets for the V6, covered in SB 2010-01. Newer-style bracket would be preferable (must be replaced in PAIRS).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    possibly the same , wouldn't do it then your 115 has no way to install be hard to sell like that , find a set of good used brackets or new ones
    Selling the 115 isn't a concern, it has over 1000 hours on it and is on it's last leg.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1

And I can tell you that there was an update to the OEM brackets for the V6, covered in SB 2010-01. Newer-style bracket would be preferable (must be replaced in PAIRS).
    So are you saying that what I have now would work or that I should find some other ones? Some of the brackets I have seen for sale say they work for a 75 hp to a 200 something.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'm saying I would find either a new set under the latest part number, or a used set from a 2.5L (built after July 1, 2010).

Parts catalog does not indicate a common super-session chain between the two engines.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor