Alternative to Zoom Super Fluke

OK last time I bought Flukes was during a BPS spring sale here in Cincinnati, paid 1.89 / pack. Yes I am alder and bought 80+ packs that day.

My stash is depleting and looked at Flukes now they are going for 5 / pack. Should I stick with this bait and what they cost now, or is there a better AND cheaper bait that mimics the almighty Fluke?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Member
    I should add that I only use the 5.25 and 7 inch sizes.

3. Member
    At that price point still the way to go in my opinion.
    Red Sox in 6!

4. Member
    You won’t find anything better and cheaper. Maybe Yum makes something. They are pretty cheap usually. But I’ve never liked their stuff.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

5. Member
    I wouldn’t recommend the YUM knockoff. The head is thin and doesn’t hold a hook well

6. Member
    I like Bass Assassins myself. Usually fish the straight tail (5") which is $5.99 for 8 but also fish the Vapor Shad (5") which is $4.49 for 10 so a little cheaper than a Super Fluke (5.25") which is $5.19 for 10. I haven't fished the Vapor Shad yet, just got some with my last order. For me though the straight tail outfishes a fluke both as a jerkbait and on a chatterbait or scrounger.

Big Bite Baits jerk minnow is it in my opinion. I prefer them to Super Flukes, for what that's worth. They've got a bit more heft to them so they cast better, they're not nearly as picky about being rigged perfectly to get the side-to-side darting action we all crave, and even at retail, they're cheaper checking in at something like $4.29 for a 10 pack. They're also fairly easy to find on sale. I'm not sure I've ever paid more than $3.50 a pack for them. They also come in 100 packs which retail at $37. Only problem might be that the biggest they make is 6", no 7" option.

I used to love the Gander Mountain flukes, so was really bummed when they went out of business. I was complaining about it one day to a buddy when he kind of nonchalantly mentioned "You know Big Bite made all their stuff, right?" No idea if that's accurate for anything else, but it's definitely accurate for the flukes!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    Thanks everyone. Heading to Indy boat show this weekend; if I find deals on original or Big Bites I'll snag some.

Mike

9. Member
    Sluggos. Still made from 4” on up to a 9”. Was out before the fluke.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Big Bite Baits jerk minnow is it in my opinion. I prefer them to Super Flukes, for what that's worth. They've got a bit more heft to them so they cast better, they're not nearly as picky about being rigged perfectly to get the side-to-side darting action we all crave, and even at retail, they're cheaper checking in at something like $4.29 for a 10 pack. They're also fairly easy to find on sale. I'm not sure I've ever paid more than $3.50 a pack for them. They also come in 100 packs which retail at $37. Only problem might be that the biggest they make is 6", no 7" option.

I used to love the Gander Mountain flukes, so was really bummed when they went out of business. I was complaining about it one day to a buddy when he kind of nonchalantly mentioned "You know Big Bite made all their stuff, right?" No idea if that's accurate for anything else, but it's definitely accurate for the flukes!
    I worked at Gander from 2009-2014. all of their soft plastics were made by Big Bite Baits and all their soft plastics were literally the same bait as what would come in a Big Bite Bait package.

The XFactor jigs were made by Jewel and Xfactor spinnerbaits were made by war eagle.

I sure loved that job.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 02-17-2023 at 04:08 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I like Bitter's Skip Shad and most of Bitter's soft plastics are two bags for $7 and available in bulk...$35 for 100 plus 10 free.
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

12. Member
    Hard to beat a fluke but I throw the big bite baits too. It skips better nose hooked.

13. Member
    Bitters Baits. Bulk packs for the win
    Last edited by Donnyboy; 02-19-2023 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Spelling

14. Member
    Those bitters look good!
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Sluggos. Still made from 4” on up to a 9”. Was out before the fluke.
    Ssshhhhh. If you say anymore about Sluggos, you’ll have to be assassinated. .

16. Member
    Welp Idy show sucked, their "Tackletown" has turned in to a typical flea market of crap I would never purchase lol.

Orders placed with BBB and Bitters.

17. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    Those bitters look good!
    I have some of the Bitter's beavers. Can't beat the prices and color selections. Also like the bulk options. They're nice, but they seem to be less dense than other soft baits?? I think. So they're like the Yum senko, not as heavy as the OG. If that matters.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD