Trouble starting 1995 Mercury 200 hp EFI

I have a 1995 Mercury 200 hp EFI that I am having trouble starting. The motor sat idle for 3 months prior to today when I tried to start it for the first time. The engine turns over but does not want to start. The bulb pumps up full and stays strong. I removed the fuel filter on the engine and it had gas in it. There was never a smell of gas like it was getting flooded. I was not able to take a spark plug out to see what it looked like. The previous owner added stabilizer to the gasoline before it went idle for the 3 months. If anyone has any thoughts on what I can try I would greatly appreciate it. This is first outboard I have ever owned so I'm not sure where to start other than take to the shop. Thanks so much!

Art

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Have you checked the kill switch and that the throttle is in neutral?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Throttle is in neutral, but I didnt know about a kill switch. What does that look like and where abouts would it be located?

4. Member
    Kill switch should be on the throttle/shift control box. Commonly a protected toggle switch.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ + 1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I’d emphasize that if you don’t know how to use your kill switch, make sure you learn how and attach the lanyard to yourself before you start it.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I’d emphasize that if you don’t know how to use your kill switch, make sure you learn how and attach the lanyard to yourself before you start it.
    ^^^^^ +100!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks for the help. It was the kill switch and I watched some videos last night b4 taking the boat out today on how to use the lanyard. Unfortunately the motor over heated within 25 yards of the ramp. Another post for that.

9. Member
    Probably just needs a new water pump, supposed to be changed yearly, and sitting them long term is worse than using them regularly.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

10. Member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^+1 , intermittent or solid horn tone ????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member
    It was solid tone.

12. Member
    overheat

13. Member
    Thanks Joe.