Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need a new prop...

Well, every other upgrade/purchase plan just got put on hold, as now I need a new prop. Hit something running out of a creek and cracked the hub of my T1 Wasn't even going that hard, just up on plane doing around 35-40 or so.

So, T1/T2's are obviously impossible to find right now... IIRC the Tempest 25 and the Fury 25 were suitable replacements for the T1 on my SHO 225? Already checked a couple shops hoping to get lucky but nope... hitting up props4sale board now. Any other props to consider? With the T1 25 I ran 6k wide open, one shop suggested droping down to a 24 to pick up 200rpm? I though 25/26 were the choices for these hulls...

2. Member
    I have absolutely no idea how good they are, but I think Mark Croxtin the prop guru everyone uses here has a prop he sells. I think it’s meant as a replacement for the T1. Again I know nothing about them, I just tend to think if it’s the one he recommends, well that’s a pretty good recommendation. Maybe worth a look at his site anyhow?

Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I have absolutely no idea how good they are, but I think Mark Croxtin the prop guru everyone uses here has a prop he sells. I think it’s meant as a replacement for the T1. Again I know nothing about them, I just tend to think if it’s the one he recommends, well that’s a pretty good recommendation. Maybe worth a look at his site anyhow?
    Yeah going to check it out, it's a Razor I think? Or maybe he has T1 specific replacement. He worked the prop on the boat now as well.

4. Member
    23 pitch scorpion

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Yeah going to check it out, it's a Razor I think? Or maybe he has T1 specific replacement. He worked the prop on the boat now as well.
    I just got my prop back from him 2 days ago actually as well. Wanted to get it gone thru before he retires. It is the razor now that you mention it. Again no ideas on reviews, but seems to me it would be worth a call or research at least. Good luck!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okskeetertzx190 View Post
    23 pitch scorpion
    This. Best lifting prop I've ever ran. They average 2 pitches stiff, which is why the 23 is recommended here.

I like the Tempest. I switch between the 25 Tempest and a Hill Signature series 4-blade (S-4). I bought the 4-blade for running the swallows along the James river. Now, I use it when I plan on fishing around standing timber. It's not fast, but it works. The Tempest is more of a stern-lifter. That helps in rough water. With the T-1, the Skeeter tends to lift off every time you hit a wave. The Tempest keeps you more level. I have heard that the Razor-4XL is even better in rough water, but I have never gotten my hands on one.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

So for a tempest, I just need a different hub kit for the SHO propshaft, correct? Once correct yamaha hub kit is installed in the tempest, it I wanted to swap back and forth from say a T2 and a Tempest, it's just changing the prop like normal at that point - no other work necessary?

9. Member
    Yes you need a hub to fit the merc prop on the yamaha. I'm running a 24p fury 3 blade on my sho and was able to get a hub. The hubs are about 75 bucks.

When you switch back and forth, you have to swap all of the hardware too. I would just pick one style and stay with that one. The thrust washer can be a PITA to change. Sometimes they get a little stuck. One advantage of using Merc hardware, is that most aftermarket props use that same type of hub. If you stay with Yamaha hardware/hubs, that's about all you can run.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

Ok, found a lightly used T2 so have it on the way, that's my get back on the water prop should have it on for upcoming weekend. I suspect my T1 is beyond repair but will take some pics when I pull it - maybe Mark C. can fix it up enough to use as a spare or something. But will keep looking for another prop to have as backup.

12. Member

Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    When you switch back and forth, you have to swap all of the hardware too. I would just pick one style and stay with that one. The thrust washer can be a PITA to change. Sometimes they get a little stuck. One advantage of using Merc hardware, is that most aftermarket props use that same type of hub. If you stay with Yamaha hardware/hubs, that's about all you can run.
    +1. I had such a hard time changing my washers out that I don't wanna switch back to my Yamaha prop.

OP - I love running the Bravo 4 blade on my boat. You've got a different hull than me, but it eliminated my porpoising and gave me more lift and bite during steering. Not quite as fast, but I don't care.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by stevenh View Post
    Thanks, I saw them, I need a 25. a 24 might work in a pinch, but not looking to spend $900 on a "compromise" size prop.

Have a T2 coming as mentioned, but will still look for a backup. I had resigned myself to just switching to the Tempest as so many folks recommend it as a solid SHO alternative, and would likely be eaiser to find one (or two, actually so I could have backup also), but ran across a nice deal on a T2 so grabbed it so I can get back on the water. I'm missing prime time here in Fl :).

Sent some pics of my T1 to Mark, I figure best case is he could repair it but in additon to the cracks it's the inner tube appears to have been knocked a bit out of round. Worst case he says make a lamp out of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    +1. I had such a hard time changing my washers out that I don't wanna switch back to my Yamaha prop.

OP - I love running the Bravo 4 blade on my boat. You've got a different hull than me, but it eliminated my porpoising and gave me more lift and bite during steering. Not quite as fast, but I don't care.
    My T1 and thrust washer came off relatively easily, but I know that's not always the case, so yeah I guess unless I find a nice deal on a non yammie I will continue looking for another T1/T2 for a spare.

16. Member
    I had a blade come off my 6 month old T2 prop last summer. I found one on SIM Yamaha no problem. I just got my new one back from Yamaha under warranty though after 5 months so now I have a spare
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Mark C. confirmed, the prop is a goner. I pretty much expected so, but just wanted to be sure before sending it to the landfill... He was also pretty critical of the T1 series in general as far as strength and reliability, and also confirmed the Tempest is a real good prop on these SHO's. I think I will be looking for a pair of Tempests and just covert over instead of trying to chase down another T1/T2.

18. Member
    Hey 78 what does that mean that he was pretty “critical”? Is that good or bad? He just re worked my T1 and didn’t say anything about it good or bad about it. I know most guys carry a spare, I just don’t have a grand laying around normally for that kind of extra. But maybe I should be making it a point to find the money.

Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    Hey 78 what does that mean that he was pretty “critical”? Is that good or bad? He just re worked my T1 and didn’t say anything about it good or bad about it. I know most guys carry a spare, I just don’t have a grand laying around normally for that kind of extra. But maybe I should be making it a point to find the money.
    Just that it was common for the T1/T2 series to have issues and they did not respond well to repairs was the gist of of it. I don't want to put words in his mouth b/c he didn't directly say "T1 sucks" or anything, just you could tell by the converstaion that he was not a fan of the T series generally. I think we most know the T1 got a rap for failing/slinging blades, and that the T2 was rushed into production as a replacement, and that recent years they have been very hit or miss as far as quality and balance. Older T1's supposedly are very good however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast