Barren/Rough/Nolin size limit change

Did anyone else see where they took away the 1 under 15” bass you can have in your creel?

2. Member
    Yes smallmouth and largemouth are now 15” or greater. Spots did not change from before.

I understand how the slot limit promotes the limited number smaller size fish they wanted harvested. However in todays times the vast majority of bass fishermen are catch and release so size limits really don't play a factor unless its a tournament. In that event they are still being released. The meat hunters out there really don't pay attention to size limits anyways. In fact just the other day I had someone that I recently meet strike up a conversation about fishing. In that conversation he mention if we catch one its going to the grease as long as its big enough to hold some meal and flour. This got me to thinking that in the past 20-30 years I have only been checked a few times buy a game warden. In fact I can't even remember the last time I was checked but I was thinking it was 3-4 years ago in the parking lot at Cumberland and all he looked at was my license. I was getting my boat ready to go home and he never ask to look in my livewell. I have no problem with size limits but what I would like to see is more enforcement. I would gladly give up 5 minutes of my trip to let someone check my license and look in my livewell if that meant protecting our natural resource. In my opinion the current system we have now is more like a honor system with the lack of patrol I encounter.

From what I hear the Mennonites around Barren and Nolin do their parts to keep the fish population low with no regard to size limit

Quote Originally Posted by Esnow76 View Post
    From what I hear the Mennonites around Barren and Nolin do their parts to keep the fish population low with no regard to size limit
    I have seen them catch thousands of fish over the years and never see them put one back.

6. Member
    Mennonites do a lot of trolling. I've watched them for year on Nolin troll for whatever bites but I've seen them keep their fair share of under size walleye. I actually said something to Sammy Renfro years ago about it. Nolin doesn't have the walleye it use too.