Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not knocking The Leash.... but I'm wondering where it would have been secured to that would have prevented the "unplanned engine relocation" event in the facebook post?

The "aft" plate and hydraulics of the jackplate are still attached to the engine in the images. It had to take some serious forces to peel that plate apart like that!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Not knocking The Leash.... but I'm wondering where it would have been secured to that would have prevented the "unplanned engine relocation" event in the facebook post?

The "aft" plate and hydraulics of the jackplate are still attached to the engine in the images. It had to take some serious forces to peel that plate apart like that!
    I'm thinking something was wrong with the plate. It doesn't look like the lower is broken. IIRC all of the pictures I've seen of peeled back engines had broken lowers.

If I had a fast boat I'd have "The Leash" on it.

4. Member
    I have been researching anchor points of the Leash including asking questions & sending pictures to Precision Sonar as outlined in post 103 in General Bassboat Topics. The Leash. While it would protect occupants from a broken MOTOR bracket, on a Pro Xs 4 stroke, due to where it anchors would not have prevented the situation as posted in this thread. Recommend looking at same videos, pictures & installation video that i did to make your own conclusions. Not trying to knock the Leash either, as as i already said , it would protect against a broken MOTOR bracket, but not JACKPLATE failure. Post 85 of that same thread shows how Rex Chambers' version was done after his incident, but as per Precision Sonar, that version is no longer available & they do not offer one long enough to duplicate that installation referenced.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I agree that this device very well might save your noggin (literally) in some situations. That being said- the force that was required to literally bend and peel that jackplate's side brackets (and loops) open lead me to believe that there were multiple components damaged in the event.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. mikesxpress
    If the engine OEMs thought this was a real issue they would have addressed it by now.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're right, Mike. Many of the cases we've seen over the years involved transom brackets that were sheered right through the (used) mounting bolt holes, often due to incorrect or loose mounting hardware, further complicated by other devices being attached to the mounting hardware.

Mercury Service Bulletin 2013-15R1 specifically addressed these concerns, and clearly indicates that absolutely NOTHING should be mounted to the engine mounting fasteners other than the engine. This would include any auxiliary brackets meant to secure straps, fasteners, cables, steps, brackets, wedges, etc.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    If the engine OEMs thought this was a real issue they would have addressed it by now.
    Engine OEM's are not likely to address jack plate issues.

Engine OEMs are also not likely to add a highly visible strap to catch their outboard if it breaks off and tries to flip into the boat.
    They do not want to be selling boats or drives with a visual admission the outboard might break off, fly into the boat and kill you.
    Plus they might have to retrofit tens of thousands of drives as well.

There are numerous other ways to address the hazard from a design standpoint that make the outboard more resistant to breaking off, several of which have been patented by engine manufacturers, but are not currently in use.
    However, as boats get faster, outboards get heavier, and objects being struck become larger, heavier, and more solid, eventually you have to turn to some version of a tether or a physical barrier.

It would be also be good to automatically turn the engine off when the outboard breaks off, turns upside down, etc..

gary
    Last edited by PGIC; 02-18-2023 at 08:35 AM.

9. Member
    Sorry but I didn't even read past "40 MPH in a creek channel" in the Facebook story. Know your water, bud.
    2015 Tracker Targa V18 150 4-Stroke 2B142247 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker 1R159535
    2001 MasterCraft Maristar 210 V-Drive, LTR 330 HP

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

I'm in full agreement with Don on this subject.

I also commented directly to the FB post that was supporting the leash that his chosen picture was miss leading. Pic of motor with lower unit removed, very mis leading when the skeg had been broken.

11. Member
    Again, if you understand how to properly operate a boat, this is an unnecessary product. Navigation is fairly simple: IF you do not have a clear picture of the water you are about to enter, slow the F*** down. There, lives and dollars saved. Anyone disagree?
    2015 Tracker Targa V18 150 4-Stroke 2B142247 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker 1R159535
    2001 MasterCraft Maristar 210 V-Drive, LTR 330 HP

Quote Originally Posted by JS! View Post
    Again, if you understand how to properly operate a boat, this is an unnecessary product. Navigation is fairly simple: IF you do not have a clear picture of the water you are about to enter, slow the F*** down. There, lives and dollars saved. Anyone disagree?
    I do. Sure there are situations that require prudent operation, however, it would be impossible to know where a hidden hazard could be at all times.

My question is will the leash actually work? Are there any cases where a motor departed and the leash held and kept it out of the boat? What testing has been done on the leash to ensure it will stand up the the same forces that ripped off the motor in the first place?
    Last edited by 06 SB; 02-23-2023 at 10:30 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

14. Member
    the leash is only designed for swivel bracket failure only let me repete swivel bracket only in no way would it helped in the above photos .

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hickend69 View Post
    the leash is only designed for swivel bracket failure only let me repete swivel bracket only in no way would it helped in the above photos .
    Precisely Don's point in reply #2.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

The problem in the pictured incident is the plate apparently slid up and out of the tubes on impact. This had been addressed by plate manufacturers with a mount inside the plate that would limit upward travel in the event of an impact. Obviously, it didn't work in this incident or it was not present. The leash could have restricted upward travel of the motor out of the tubes and even though it might not have stopped it, it sure seems it could have limited it. It seems to me that anything you can do to limit the possibility of motor separation, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by hickend69 View Post
    Like this.

18. Member
    look at the wood on the lower and blood on the prop?
    Last edited by mactlman; 03-02-2023 at 07:06 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Like this.

I would agree that the leash might well have limited/held this one from coming into the boat. It would have (at the very least) been the last line of defense.

That's just sickening- especially considering the forces required to do that extent of damage.

20. Member
    I run one. Do I know for sure it would prevent this from happening? No! I don’t know for sure a seat belt would save my life in a care crash either but I still wear one. This is the only option that offers some peace of mind for now. Leash needs to publish post accidents of leash customers and how they faired.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast