Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Looks like manufacturers need to look at lower unit bolts that shear under a specific force.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Looks like manufacturers need to look at lower unit bolts that shear under a specific force.
    No thanks... planned gearcase ejection probably would have some seriously undesirable consequences as well.

Best thing to do: SLOW DOWN when you don't know what you're running in!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    No thanks... planned gearcase ejection probably would have some seriously undesirable consequences as well.

Best thing to do: SLOW DOWN when you don't know what you're running in!
    Just a thought. I'm not an engineer but there has to be a better way. Underwater objects can be anywhere.

4. Member
    I was answering 06sb question that don did not in his post the man asked in what cases would the leash work and the answer and only answer the way the current mount is constructed and location like mine is the swivel bracket only period just trying yo answer the man’s question

Quote Originally Posted by hickend69 View Post
    I was answering 06sb question that don did not in his post the man asked in what cases would the leash work and the answer and only answer the way the current mount is constructed and location like mine is the swivel bracket only period just trying yo answer the man’s question
    I think everyone is agreement with this.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Swivel bracket, Tilt cylinder, steering tube, or in some cases, possibly transom bracket failures would be the ones that might be applicable.

But to reiterate: Directly from the engine owner's manual:

Attached Images Attached Images

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. mikesxpress
    Don what is Mercury Marine's position on attaching anything between the flat washer and locknut used on the 3/4" bolts that retain the outboard motor bracket to a jack plate or transom? The installation instructions for this product show removing the washer/locknut, adding the Leash tether bracket, and reinstalling the flat washer/locknut.

*I'm sure that most folks know once you remove a locknut with the Nylock insert you don't reuse that locknut. It must be replaced.

*I'm sure that most folks know once you remove a locknut with the Nylock insert you don't reuse that locknut. It must be replaced.
    Sure, glad I didn't know that---- I'd have gone broke buying prop nuts.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Don what is Mercury Marine's position on attaching anything between the flat washer and locknut used on the 3/4" bolts that retain the outboard motor bracket to a jack plate or transom? The installation instructions for this product show removing the washer/locknut, adding the Leash tether bracket, and reinstalling the flat washer/locknut.

Specifically prohibited. Nothing but the ENGINE on the engine mounting hardware.

10. mikesxpress
    Just wanted confirmation. Thank you.
    I'm awaiting official opinions on attaching this device to various brand jack plates.

Specifically prohibited. Nothing but the ENGINE on the engine mounting hardware.
    Does that include Power poles and engine spacers?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I think everyone is agreement with this.
    While this is true for most leash installations you see, there are other options for mounting. My boat had a leash on it when I purchased it as well as the same atlas hd plate as what failed in the original post. The leash on my boat is actually bolted to the side plates on the jackplate. I think this is likely a better mounting solution since it keeps the leash off the motor mounting bolts and provides some level of protection for jackplate failures as seen in this thread.

13. mikesxpress
    Jesse can you provide a couple pictures of your mounting please?

Quote Originally Posted by jdskeeter View Post
    While this is true for most leash installations you see, there are other options for mounting. My boat had a leash on it when I purchased it as well as the same atlas hd plate as what failed in the original post. The leash on my boat is actually bolted to the side plates on the jackplate. I think this is likely a better mounting solution since it keeps the leash off the motor mounting bolts and provides some level of protection for jackplate failures as seen in this thread.
    More food for thought on the Atlas.

the failure point was first the piston. When that fails, without a Leash, it allows the motor to freely swing forward. Once that happens the motor has enough leverage to pull the plate out of the jackplate bracket. The purpose of the Leash would be to grab the motor after the piston fails and pull it down before getting enough leverage to pull the plate out.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Jesse can you provide a couple pictures of your mounting please?
    Absolutely, I’ll take a few pictures this weekend.

16. Member
    Well, I was looking at the thread in the general bass boat topics forum, and my installation is nearly identical to those in the pictures on page 5 of that thread (linked below). Several folks say that version of the leash is no longer available, I missed where that was mentioned in this thread as well.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...1210206&page=5

Quote Originally Posted by jdskeeter View Post
    Well, I was looking at the thread in the general bass boat topics forum, and my installation is nearly identical to those in the pictures on page 5 of that thread (linked below). Several folks say that version of the leash is no longer available, I missed where that was mentioned in this thread as well.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...1210206&page=5
    On my 2016 the leash was mounted on the side of the jack plate where the power pole brackets get attached. I haven’t seen it setup like that since and I would say I bought mine in 2017ish. I think once the leash became a precision sonar product they changed the mounting points and started selling the brackets to attach to the outboard motor bolts on the jackplate.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

18. Member
    Show me the tests that shows this leash stops the outboard from flipping into the boat and I will consider buying one. Until then it's just a gimmick in my opinion. Would you buy a motorcycle helmet that wasn't certified ? I baby car seat that wasn't tested ? So why buy this ? Because in theory it will work? I'm good .... facts over feelings fellas.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass_boat_boy View Post
    Show me the tests that shows this leash stops the outboard from flipping into the boat and I will consider buying one. Until then it's just a gimmick in my opinion. Would you buy a motorcycle helmet that wasn't certified ? I baby car seat that wasn't tested ? So why buy this ? Because in theory it will work? I'm good .... facts over feelings fellas.
    If there were no such thing as a certified helmet would I still be stupid for buying whatever helmet I could find or smarter for going with nothing on my head?
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

20. mikesxpress
    Maybe?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast