Rotary fly tying vise

Looking for a good rotary fly tying vice will be using #1-5/0 hooks what are you all using and if you could give some pros or cons of your vise please.Thank you

2. Member
    I have the Peak that clamps onto the table. I had a bunch of Cabelas/BPS cards and didn't really need anything else at the time so the cost wasn't an issue for me (around $200). No cons for me but I was using a really cheap vise before this one and the Peak made things so much better. I use it from #1 hooks on a hair jig to 5/0 for jigs I pour without a problem. I thread tie them all now, it made it that easy...got away from using craft wire.

Have done a lot of fly tying in my time. A good vise can set you back some coin thats for sure.
    The one I have is an Atlas it is really heavy duty built and as far as the higher end vises like Renzetti, Dyna Kink or Peak its a pretty good value.
    Here is a link to it on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Rotary-...a-441156520241

4. Moderator
    I use a peak and it works great. You can get a set of saltwater hook jaws for larger hooks.

I have a dyna king they are your higher end and expensive. I can tie from size 20 to 9/0 hooks without a problem. There really is no cons. The only reason I went this way is cause I didn’t want to buy different heads and have to change for different hook size like in your regal vises or peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Have done a lot of fly tying in my time. A good vise can set you back some coin thats for sure.
    The one I have is an Atlas it is really heavy duty built and as far as the higher end vises like Renzetti, Dyna Kink or Peak its a pretty good value.
    Here is a link to it on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Rotary-...a-441156520241
    This is the one I have, though I originally bought it for its range. It also only cost $130 when I bought it probably 15 years ago, so things have definitely changed. I've tied flies as small as 32 (yep! 32!) and jigs as large as 6/0 in it. It's excellent.

That said, recognizing this might be an unpopular opinion, I really don't think you need to buy something "high end" for bass jigs. The reason people spend on the high end stuff is that they're usually doing really intricate work, often on really small hooks. Unless you're tying up fancy salmon flies, you just don't need anything like that for larger hooks. A Griffin Spider is a really good option that can easily be had under $100, though I think they say the biggest hooks it will accept are 4/0.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    Using a $15 Harbor Freight Suchon cup vise for my jigs.

Allen

I’ve been tying on the Griffin Spider for 20+ years. Although I’ve tied a few 6/0 and 7/0 striper jigs, I wouldn’t recommend it for long term use for them. I don’t think the jaws can take it. Made me a little uncomfortable but it’s all I had. Go to a fly shop and they’ll point you in the right direction.

9. Member
    Griffin Oddysey Spider. Best bang for the buck. less than $120 and very solidly built