lithium starting battery mercury

OK I have it narrowed down to three. I think all three are a good option, would like to hear from you guys what your thought on these brands are for a 2003 mercury opitmax 200 hp .

millertech, impulse and powerhouse

I like the Powerhouse jsut mainly because of the starting switch if you need a jump.
    Im just starting to research the Lithium stuff as I would really like to go all Lithium but going to take me a bit jsut due to cost.

3. Member
    BPS Tracker brand are relabeled ReLions. Have one as my starting battery and has worked great after one season.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Luther518 View Post
    OK I have it narrowed down to three. I think all three are a good option, would like to hear from you guys what your thought on these brands are for a 2003 mercury opitmax 200 hp .

millertech, impulse and powerhouse
    Would love to get you in one of our 100’s or 120’s. we do offer a full 10yr warranty on the cranking battery

give me a call or PM me with any questions

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I would def stick with BBC sponsored brand with that said our Powerhouse cranker is the ONLY other lithium currently on the market that will meet and exceed the specs set forth by Mercury besides the Brunswick owned Relion RB100. We have had great results with them being run on the Optimax. Alot of companies have claimed there's do meet the new specs but have simply changed there spec sheets and nothing within the actual battery itself. The Powerhouse cranker was built with the Mercury specs in mind. It is also sale priced exclusively thru us with code BBC10 on our website. The Powerhouse is also the only cranker currently with the built in Jumpstart button for a emergency backup if the need ever arose. No extra jump pack to lug around. With more and more customers going to single and duel 24 or 36 volt batteries on the trolling side this does render you built in emergency jump feature currently built onto some boats useless. This now takes that worry away and you still have that feature but built into the battery itself.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 02-17-2023 at 12:52 AM.

6. Member
    I went all Millertech on my boat and they are great batteries, but honestly Ive had a hard time coming to terms with the cost. I am very much a value guy. By that I mean whatever the cost of something I need to be able to get my money's worth out of it. I feel like yes the batteries are great, but after spending about 3500 on the batteries and charger. I have yet to be able to justify them, this I feel like it was just money wasted on keeping up with the Jones's. I can see it if you are a tour angler, but for a weekend warrior like myself and the cost of lithium's. They just aren't justified.

Please dont beat me up people, thats just my personal opinion and cant speak for everyone. Every ones situation is a bit different, thus their needs will be different.
    "Im ya huckleberry." Chasin bass and rippin lips is just my game.

7. Member
    I think justifying a lithium starting battery depends solely on how much electronics and accessories you are going to be running vs. how long you need to run them weighed against the option of running one large lithium or a separate dedicated AGM or regular deep cycle wet cell battery.

While cost is, obviously, a consideration, ultimately is is about how much power you actually need. A big, expensive AGM like the X2 Group 31, for example., will probably give about 80 ah of power (yes the numbers are all relative and RC might be a better measure for AGM or flooded lead acid batteries, but AH is arbitrary enough) and last 3-5 years if you discharge it that much on a regular basis and charge it right away and take care of it.

Figure any good, reputable starting Lithium will give you 95% of the AH rating and last, supposedly, 10 years if you discharge it that much regularly and maintaining it properly. So an Ionic 125 ah starting battery, the biggest baddest one of them all and (and other than Relion, the longest track record of any out there for providing a starting battery) you will get roughly 110-115 ah of power.

Other benefits of Lithiums will be touted by people, such as they charge a lot faster off of your motors alternator, etc. is not totally true. They will charge at a fast, constant rate up until about 98% charge, then slow down a little bit. The X2, for example, will charge really fast as well up to about 80-85% and then it will start to slow down.

If you need the big power, 80ah or so or more, on a regular basis and you think you will go 6+ years with your current boat or setup (and lets face it, power requirements will INCREASE over time as we all add more and more stuff), then a staring Lithium does make sense financially.

In my case, for example, I often do 2-4 days trips where I may not have access to shore power. Having a lot of reserve power makes sense so I opted for the biggest starting house battery I could find, which is the Ionic 125ah. An X2 would not have enough for that scenario, and even if it did over 6-8 years I would need to buy 2 most likely, which is about the same price as one good high AH lithium staring battery.

It used to be the trolling motor batteries that we killed the most with deep discharges. These days it seems we discharge the starting/house batteries as much or more because of all the power we pull from them now with all of the new, power hungry, gadgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Impulse Lithium View Post
    Would love to get you in one of our 100’s or 120’s. we do offer a full 10yr warranty on the cranking battery

give me a call or PM me with any questions
    Call Bill to discuss your options. You will be happy.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    I second the recommendation for Impulse. Call Bill. Unbeat service that I can guarantee. Was on the pro circuit so he knows exactly what you need and won’t try to over sell anything you don’t. Very organized and efficient.

10. Member
    I like what Diversity had to say, sounds like someone telling it like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Diversity210 View Post
    I went all Millertech on my boat and they are great batteries, but honestly Ive had a hard time coming to terms with the cost. I am very much a value guy. By that I mean whatever the cost of something I need to be able to get my money's worth out of it. I feel like yes the batteries are great, but after spending about 3500 on the batteries and charger. I have yet to be able to justify them, this I feel like it was just money wasted on keeping up with the Jones's. I can see it if you are a tour angler, but for a weekend warrior like myself and the cost of lithium's. They just aren't justified.

Please dont beat me up people, thats just my personal opinion and cant speak for everyone. Every ones situation is a bit different, thus their needs will be different.
    I burn the crap up out of my batteries. Ever since I got a bass boat in 2016 I’ve had major battery issues. Every year I replace my trolling setup lead acids and my cranking setup has been even worse. Eventually I went to a 5 battery system in 2018 which was much needed and honestly didn’t even know about it. I’m the first guy I know of to go 2 crankers in parallel in my parts of the world. I also was one of the only guys with 4-5 graphs on the boat. Anyway I went lithium in 2019. Hardly anyone except pros had them. I bought 5 batteries and a charger costing me about 5k. I’m still running lithiums and they have made my life so much better. My days on the water are way more enjoyable and I rarely worry about battery power. What used to be a major issue on long days is a thing of the past. With the new ionics with blue tooth it’s even better as I added those into my system in 2021 replacing 2 of my batteries without blue tooth and knowing my exact charge status is a major relief. In the amount of time I’ve been running lithium I would have burned up 5 sets of trolling batteries and probably another 3-4 agm cranking batteries if not more and probably cost me 2-3 grand just nickel and diming my pockets. Lithiums are an investment for long term. Up front it’s tough to spend but I can’t recommend anything else. I’ve got a few good friends that switched to lithium after the years of battery issues. I talk to them and let them know my experience and they jump on board and everyone has been satisfied. I know my ionics are about 2 years old now and about 100 cycles or so last time I checked and show 99% life so they basically perform the same as they did when they were brand new and my other 3 relions are on their 5th year in 2023, I can’t tell their life but everything is going good and I would estimate those around 300 cycles. At the rate I’m going I feel like I could get 20 years out of a set of lithiums. Eventually you will get your moneys worth out of them.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I like what Diversity had to say, sounds like someone telling it like it is.
    Absolutely. You have to weigh your options and figure out a cost benefit for it. First off are you roasting your batteries on the regular. The major deal with lithium is longer run time on a similar sized battery. Lithium really takes the cake when comparing a 6 hour day vs 12 hour vs 16 hour day. Lead and lithium will both do great on a 6 hour day. Honestly you probably wouldn’t even be able to tell without looking in the back of your boat to tell what batteries you have. Then come hour 12 your lead acids are probably worn out by now and weaker as the voltage is dropping but the lithium is still working like full charge with probably 13.0v. By hour 16 with lead acid you probably have to jump start your outboard or your trolling motor is going .2mph on setting 10 and your day is over, hour 16 with lithium you probably still have 40% charge left and running 3.0 mph on the trolling motor without a care in the world not having to worry if my outboard is going to crank over. For me that is the selling point on lithium. Anything extra is bonus. If you are a guy that gets 8 years out of a group 27 lead battery you might not really get an advantage out of lithium technology. You have to research it for yourself and see the advantages and determine what fits your needs. At the end of the day they are both supplying power and they both do it similar but one is like a Ferrari and the other is a ford focus if you get what I’m saying.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

13. Member
    My only concern with all the Lithium brands popping up every year is how long they will all remain in business. What good is a 10 year warranty if the company goes out of business. I went with all Ionic because it seemed to be the best bang for the buck. If money wasn’t a factor I probably would have went Lithium Pros.
    Previous to making the switch to Lithiums I was like Haus going through lead acids every season and even having issues with my X2 cranking and image quality issues on FFS as the day wore on. All my problems have been solved with Lithium.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin