Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    May as well start a fire with that Clymers about all it is good for use the link Bighare2 listed. Part number for the roller and sleeve is
    0432639. For an interim fix use a piece of 3/8" clear vinyl hose.

0432639.jpg

2. Member
    Hahaha yeah I've come to realize the Clymers is not the most helpful which tends to always bring back to the boards. I found that part this morning and plan on getting it ordered here today. How do I remove the old one? It appears there is a rubber o-ring that seems to lock in that roller and sleeve. Do I just pop that off and replace the sleeve?

Also I looked at that link, but did not see my model listed J150GLEUE. Is there another version of that manual or will that one still work with mine?

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Order the O ring while you are at it they usually break when you take them off. Here's a link for the manual.

https://www.selffixer.com/outboard.m...ual.507268.htm

If you want the hard copy try Ebay part number 0507268.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Also check out the 60* timing thread in the stickies.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=11790

5. Member
    So new day new problem. Had some time yesterday and was looking around and happened to notice the positive battery cable going to the starter was pretty much hanging out of the terminal, only an 1/8" if that of the cable was in the terminal. Thought okay that would make sense as to why on Saturday it would crank up and idle perfect, but anytime under load it would be surging because it wasn't getting a good connection and was vibrating around in that terminal. So put a new terminal on and got it connected yesterday afternoon. Bring it out to the lake today and go to crank and she's struggling. Starter turns strong, but seems like ignition is off. Sounds like a cylinder down and then will randomly kick up rpm and start firing normally then dies. Struggled to just idle and if you put it in gear it would immediately die. Push in the key for additional fuel and it dies almost immediately.

6. Member
    I have had similar issues with mine. Mine was the diaphragm in the vapor pump had pin hole in it.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

7. Member
    I would suggest getting a plastic barrel large enough to put your lower half in with water. Muffs don’t replicate the back pressure you get from normal conditions in the water. This way you can remove the cowl and intake baffle and be able to check each carburetor for flooding or starvation. Sounds like you are flooding out since it starts good the first time. Check for air leaks while idling with carburetor cleaner sprayed anywhere air can leak. I found leaks on my 150 faststrike at the throttle bodies where the shafts enter for the butterflies.

8. Member
    Unless I missed it, I have not seen anything done to verify the water in fuel comments based on your picture.

9. Member
    I have yet to check for water contamination from the tank, but I think where that milkly color came from at the very beginning of all this was at the priming bulb connection and was sucking small amounts water in from the splash well through the fuel line. What I don’t understand is this started out as a very much fuel pump issue. Gas was pouring out of the vro after being primed and sure enough it needed a rebuild. Knocked that out, see the positive cable box has come out of the terminal fix that. That should have solved both electrical and fuel issues as I had none of these other issues prior to all of this in the first place. If the boat sat and didn’t get used it’d be one thing, but I use this boat regularly 3/4 of the year and just now has these issues. I will test the fuel tomorrow for any water and I’m awaiting new fuel filter and fuel filter seals as that’s a cheap fix and probably needed to be done anyways. I’m in between two things right now and one of which is powerpack/coils and the other is the vacuum switch. I don’t know if this has any impact but the gel that holds the wires into the vacuum switch, has a crack all the way through the middle with some oil/fuel mixture that seeps out when squeezed. The vacuum switch has had that crack in the gel for quite some
    time and hasn’t seem to cause any issue. Only reason why I think powerpack/coils is that after starting up it sounds like it’s not firing on all cylinders and then bogging out and dying. Additional fuel does not help and only kills the motor.

Also in between those two being the cause of this because they are pretty much the same cost and hope it’s one or the other and am hoping someone may have some experience and why they’ve had to replace either two of those things.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassonwylie View Post
    Update:

So the fuel pump rebuild kit came it and I knocked that out yesterday afternoon. Primed the system, got no leaks, everything looks good. Got out on the water today, and she definitely ran much better and there were no issues with starting even after stopping and fishing for a while. However, a new issue has arisen and not sure if I just need to rebuild the air plunger side of the VRO or if this is something like a power pack issue, but while increasing throttle she would accelerate fine until 5000 rpm where it would start surging and starting to bog down then catch back up with itself. Would run great at any other throttle speed, but as soon as you started to get close to 5000 rpm it would start to surge.

Any thoughts?
    man I just got done chasing down this same exact issue. I rebuilt my carbs as they were original. In the process I cleaned out the high speed jets, the had a little build up which I think was the surge at WOT problem for me. But I also put a new anti-siphon valve, fuel filter, and ran new fuel lines. A afternoon of work but it freshened things up and fixed my issues of the primer going flat and the surge at 4500-5000
    2021 Ranger 198P
    150hp Mercury Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex

11. Member
    Check for water in the fuel yesterday and it came up pure gas with no water, so we can eliminate that as causing these issues. New fuel filter will be in on Monday. New fuel pump kit will be in to rebuild the VRO2 and going to do a complete overhaul on hose connections to ensure no additional air leaks. I've been scouring the forums these past few days to see any similar issues that have occurred with others. Few things that have stood out. One of which is the shift interrupter switch going out causing the motor to die after shifting. Another is the VST needs a rebuild causing poor fuel delivery. Thermostats seem to have played a part with some others who've had similar problems. Very good chance that some debris got sucked up and may be clogging the thermostat as they're always crap floating around on OHL. Will be rebuilding water pump as well as it's time for it anyways. Just trying to narrow down these issues and would have thought it would have been fixed by the apparent issues early on. All y'alls help is greatly appreciated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12