Carpet replacement

HI guys, looking at replacing the original carpet, it is time.. I am sure someone on here has done this before?? Any suggestions as to where to purchase the carpet and what thickness? I have read that basscat sells carpet and have 24 and 29 oz.. anyone use syntec or bassboatseats? Would anything bigger than 20 oz be a problem with closing and opening the lids??

Also if anyone has recarpeted their cobra, did you drill out the rivets in the trim to remove it and replace the trim or put the original back on?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get ahead. thanks

Drill out the rivets, and the original trim looks better than rubber trim and is easy to re-install. I used 20 oz carpet, but after installing it I would say not all 20 oz carpet is the same quality. If I did it again I would order from a reputable company like Basscat. Since the job is a pain, and not one you want to do again in five or six years, I would go with the 24 oz carpet for wear purposes and deal with the lids being tight by shanving some of the side of the lids, or just enjoy tight fitting lids. Definately would pad the front deck, didn't think it was a big deal, current boat is padded and it is a luxury when fishing all day.

My carpet looked great when I was done and really makes an older boat look new again. Problem was the 20 oz carpet compacted too quick, at least I thought it should have looked nice for longer than it did.

The biggest pain was the hardware on the lids, I didn't want to punch new holes in the figerglass, so I used the existing holes. Even though I marked them by punching through the back side (rod lockers you have access to the holes) it was still a pain to line them up. Take your time and do it right, more than likely you will end up with a better job then the factory did. I found a LOT of little patches where they cut things short and just glued a patch in.

3. Member
    Thank you for the reply and the info on the carpet size, I appreciate it. Did you get the padding from bass cat also and what glue did you use to install the padding? I have carpet that runs all the way under each console and up underneath on the sides, did you carpet the entire cockpit area as that looks all to be one piece from what I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEFISHRI View Post
    Thank you for the reply and the info on the carpet size, I appreciate it. Did you get the padding from bass cat also and what glue did you use to install the padding? I have carpet that runs all the way under each console and up underneath on the sides, did you carpet the entire cockpit area as that looks all to be one piece from what I can see.
    I didn't get the pad, if I were doing it again I would. My current boat is not a Cobra and came with the pad. It's been a few years but yes there were three big pieces. The front deck is one piece including down the sides of the rod lockers. Mine was a duel console also, so the cockpit area is also one big piece, helps if you can get the existing carpet up in one piece for a template. If not, measurements and cut the piece several inches bigger than needed and you can work the sides and the notch cut outs for where the consoles meet the floor. The back deck is one piece behind the seats that wrap around the back to the battery compartment, including down the inside of the rod locker on the passenger side. The sides under the console are separate pieces. When glueing that area down under the consoles, make sure you have a fan blowing through there as the fumes get intense quickly.
    The biggest thing you want to do is make sure you orient the carpet the same way for your lids as you will have some big pieces left over after you cut out for the front and back deck. Keep the tops or front of the lids toward the front of your carpet and you should be fine. To keep track I drew directional arrows on the backing to make sure when I laid out my lids the grain would be running the same way. I had to work on it in the evenings and one long weekend, so I had to roll the carpet up and couple of time and put it away til the next day. If the grain on the lids is going a different direction than the other areas, it will look like crap. It will look like you didn't use the same carpet.
    I used Henry 663 for the floor and front and back decks, 3M spray adhesive (900?) for the lids. Here's a hint that will save you time, I didn't redo the underside of the lids, left that in place. I used a 6' level and placed it flat (about 2.5" wide I would guess)along side the lids and made my cut. It worked out perfectly to cover the side and fold over into the inside of the lid and tuck in the small gap meeting the exiting carpet on the underside. Also research online how to cut those corners on the lids, worked perfect and it is not like you would think they are cut. Message me your number and I will text you some pics. I never can get my pics sized right to post on this site.

Thought I had some pics on teh site somewhere in the past, here you go!

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...ht=boat+carpet

6. Member
    Wow that came out awesome. Thanks for the pics and info. I like the color also. Mine was more of a tan color, but Im going to go with a darker color for sure.

7. Fishing is a Passion
    I am in the middle of the same job. I used Bass Cat 24 oz, Roberts outdoor glue and new 3/4 trim off ebay. I finished the deck prep today, Lids are done and will start deck tomorrow.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

8. Member
    Can you send some pics when you are done? 3/4 inch black trim, self adhesive? What color carpet did you end up choosing?

9. Member
    I am in the process of replacing my carpet also. I am using 20 oz charcoal color and will be reusing the metal trim. Will send pics when I am finished. I got ahold of Syntec and they don't sell straight to the consumer anymore, you have to go through a dealer so I did not use them. I purchased mine from marine carpeting and will link below.

https://marinecarpeting.com/20-oz-do...et-kit-8-wide/
    2017 Phoenix 721 Pro XP
    2017 Mercury 250 Pro XS

10. Member
    Awesome! Thanks alot.

11. Fishing is a Passion
    I went with the Grey. This is the second time I have done this boat. First time I used 20oz, this time I used 24oz and both carpet weights are easy to work with. My trim was not replaced the first time, had to drill out rivets this time and went with this trim https://www.ebay.com/itm/193636871990. I am having trouble with photos but will get them loaded. I am going to have the cock pit done with EV foam.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

12. Member
    I was thinking of doing the foam also but not sure what to do with the area where the foam and carpet meet , if that makes sense?? Where did you get the foam from? It is a tough spot , once it is wet it doesnt dry out for a few days.. looking forward to seeing the pics.

13. Member
    I can’t upload the pic of my new carpet. If you want me to text it to you send me a private message with your number
    2017 Phoenix 721 Pro XP
    2017 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Cdempsey18 View Post
    I can’t upload the pic of my new carpet. If you want me to text it to you send me a private message with your number
    I never can upload pics to this site either, if you send them to backlash the moderator he can upload them for you. Would like to see it, even though I don't have a Cobra anymore, I always look at sharp Cobras. If I were independently wealthy, I would have a Cobra for a project boat/play around boat/ fish in tighter spots, etc.

15. Member
    Hi guys, for anyone that has redone their carpet in the cockpit area, did anyone recarpet the cockpit in two pieces or one large piece ? Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    I went with the Grey. This is the second time I have done this boat. First time I used 20oz, this time I used 24oz and both carpet weights are easy to work with. My trim was not replaced the first time, had to drill out rivets this time and went with this trim https://www.ebay.com/itm/193636871990. I am having trouble with photos but will get them loaded. I am going to have the cock pit done with EV foam.

Interesting trim idea. Please post some pics when done. Also, does that trim cover the rivet holes?

Tom