Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any advice greatly appreciated????

I have a small window of buying my tournament season boat. ITS MY FIRST PERSONAL SOLO BASS BOAT. I HAVE THE OPTION OF A 82 RANGER 350 V WITH A EVINRUDE OR A 79 CHAMPION W 115 JOHNSON BOTH ARE 3-4K RANGE AND HAVE ELECTRONICS AND TROLLING MOTORS . IM CHANGIUNG ELEC AND TROLLING REGARDLESS. WHICH IS BETTER BOAT ? OH 15 FT CHAMPIONM MONDAY IM PULLINBG TRIGGER ON ONE OF THEM
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Honestly for me in that situation it would come down to condition and reliability. I’d buy the boat that checks out better. How’s the trailer condition, engine, how well cared for, maintenance done etc etc. I don’t see a major advantage one way or another fish ability wise, so I’m gonna take the one that’s gonna keep me fishing, not fixing it.

3. Member
    THAT MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY BUT THE NEWER PRETTIOER BOAT HAS ME SECOND GUESSING ...BUYERS REMORSE AND HAVENT BOUGHT.LOL
    THE CHAMPION I HAVED HIM AT 3200 AND THE RANGER IS AT 3800 . THE RANGER HAS NEW LOWER UNIT AND NOT SURE ON CHAMPION . THEY HAVE BOTH BEEN MAINTAINED AND GARGE KEPT. THE CHAMPION IS 15FT ISNT THERE THE 16 FT RULE ? I HAVE SEEN THAT IN THE FINE PRINT RULES A FEW TIMES BUT NOT IN USA BASSIN SERIES IM GOING TO LOCALLY FISH BEFORE I PAY MY BIG BUCK ENTRY S FOR BASS AND FLW . APPRECIATE THE INPUT NEED REASSURANCE DEPENDABILITY IS REALLY THE ONLY NECESSITY .THX LEROY

4. Member
    Flip a coin... Heads=Ranger Tails=Champion. You're asking for assurances that no one can realistically give you. Both boats have obviously made it this long and are still going. Either one could go another 40-50 years or... go belly up tomorrow. Buy one or the other. Hook it up n' go fishing! Good luck on your first solo tournament season - enjoy it!

Owning a boat cost money - usually way more than you anticipated. Considering the boats/engines you're looking at the first thing I'd expect to fail would be parts/pieces of the charging/electrical system. Stator, regulator, power packs.... Always carry a change of spark plugs with engines of that vintage.

Also... might ask the owners if they're still using the oil injection pump or are they pre-mixing oil/fuel. I'd be stunned if either were still using the oil injection pump.
    Last edited by yupitsme; 02-12-2023 at 04:57 AM.

5. Member
    First stop YELLING.

6. Member
    Coming from a 1995 Cajun 160 to a 2021 Nitro Z20. I'd go with the Ranger based off the pictures provided. Fishability will be about the same. The Ranger will feel more secure while on plane/running with its lower seats. You're sitting down in the boat vs sitting on top. Good luck on your decision.
    Hope you catch a Big'un!

Bill Troha
    USAF Retired
    2021 Nitro Z20 Pro

7. Member
    Whichever one you get the best vibe on the motor. The motor will be the key. starting and running every tournament. Keeping the initial $3-4k from becoming $10k.

What is the HP of the Evinrude on the Ranger? Did you check serial numbers on both engines for the year? That Johnson looks like it is a newer version than the year of the boat.
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

9. Member
    Whichever one you get the best vibe on the motor. The motor will be the key. starting and running every tournament. Keeping the initial $3-4k from becoming $10k.

10. Member
    Motors are almost identical and that vintage taken care of, runs forever, keep good water pump, fuel and lower unit oil changed, both are clean, ranger has more rear deck space. That would be my choice
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

11. Member
    Lower looks new on everude, remember from old bass cartoons
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

12. Member
    After looking close at pics, ranger has had more love for sure
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Motors are almost identical and that vintage taken care of, runs forever, keep good water pump, fuel and lower unit oil changed, both are clean, ranger has more rear deck space. That would be my choice
    ^This
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    The fact that there is a whale tail on the Champion motor makes me think they are having trouble with porposing. It could be a result of the wide beam and short length. If the motors are equal my pick would be the Ranger, really good hull design there.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

We want to see you stay in bass fishing for some time, so we are going to make a recommendation based on the best selection for that. It is not preferenced to any brand. We have nothing to gain or lose in this thread. But we’ve been doing this a very long time and we are armchair quarterbacking here.

1. First we would do more research and realize you will spend an automatic 25% to 50% more, at this price level, with any rig you buy. As your affordable limit gets reached, that percentage goes down. It also goes down as you spend more. The more you spend, the less you upgrade.

2. Our suggestion is that you look for better platforms either for that engine size, or in variation. If you don’t find one refer to that below.

3. If your locked in on these two boats, then we are going to suggest the Ranger as it’s a more stable production platform. It’s less prone to long term internal hidden damages, which will cost you drastically. It is underpowered, it will be a wetter and harder ride. Though it will be a good platform to start with. The 15’ Champion platform is not one we would start with, that is unless it weee absolutely a garage Queen and never saw much daylight.

4. Please review this link on buying a used boat suggestions.
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=590067

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by BASSMASTER4476 View Post
    I have a small window of buying my tournament season boat. ITS MY FIRST PERSONAL SOLO BASS BOAT. I HAVE THE OPTION OF A 82 RANGER 350 V WITH A EVINRUDE OR A 79 CHAMPION W 115 JOHNSON BOTH ARE 3-4K RANGE AND HAVE ELECTRONICS AND TROLLING MOTORS . IM CHANGIUNG ELEC AND TROLLING REGARDLESS. WHICH IS BETTER BOAT ? OH 15 FT CHAMPIONM MONDAY IM PULLINBG TRIGGER ON ONE OF THEM

16. Member
    Buddy of mine has a Champion. Easily 20 years old. I fish with him regularly and that is a great boat. Handles like a dream.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASSMASTER4476 View Post
    THAT MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY BUT THE NEWER PRETTIOER BOAT HAS ME SECOND GUESSING ...BUYERS REMORSE AND HAVENT BOUGHT.LOL
    THE CHAMPION I HAVED HIM AT 3200 AND THE RANGER IS AT 3800 . THE RANGER HAS NEW LOWER UNIT AND NOT SURE ON CHAMPION . THEY HAVE BOTH BEEN MAINTAINED AND GARGE KEPT. THE CHAMPION IS 15FT ISNT THERE THE 16 FT RULE ? I HAVE SEEN THAT IN THE FINE PRINT RULES A FEW TIMES BUT NOT IN USA BASSIN SERIES IM GOING TO LOCALLY FISH BEFORE I PAY MY BIG BUCK ENTRY S FOR BASS AND FLW . APPRECIATE THE INPUT NEED REASSURANCE DEPENDABILITY IS REALLY THE ONLY NECESSITY .THX LEROY
    most just can’t have stick steering, about it
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We want to see you stay in bass fishing for some time, so we are going to make a recommendation based on the best selection for that. It is not preferenced to any brand. We have nothing to gain or lose in this thread. But we’ve been doing this a very long time and we are armchair quarterbacking here.

1. First we would do more research and realize you will spend an automatic 25% to 50% more, at this price level, with any rig you buy. As your affordable limit gets reached, that percentage goes down. It also goes down as you spend more. The more you spend, the less you upgrade.

2. Our suggestion is that you look for better platforms either for that engine size, or in variation. If you don’t find one refer to that below.

3. If your locked in on these two boats, then we are going to suggest the Ranger as it’s a more stable production platform. It’s less prone to long term internal hidden damages, which will cost you drastically. It is underpowered, it will be a wetter and harder ride. Though it will be a good platform to start with. The 15’ Champion platform is not one we would start with, that is unless it weee absolutely a garage Queen and never saw much daylight.

4. Please review this link on buying a used boat suggestions.
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=590067

BCB
    what this says!! try to find something newer for just a little more might save you a ton later
    Last edited by mactlman; 02-12-2023 at 02:39 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

All things equal, you'll be glad to have a bigger boat. 15' is really tough to fish out of... even harder to store rods.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

In that price range you would want the bigger hull. Also in that age and price range you will buy issues and problems with either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast