50 or 57” garmin Force

Which would you go with on an AVX 1980?
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

2. Member
    I run a 47" Lowrance Ghost on my AVX 1980 and I haven't had any issues with using it during windy and choppy fishing conditions on Chequamegon Bay which is ~35,000 acres in surface acreage but has some high winds 15-25mph (if the forecast calls for higher wind conditions, I simply go somewhere else with less wind) due to the prevailing westerly winds during the summertime.

In contrast, one of my fishing buddies has a cabin on Lake of the Woods near Baudette, MN., and he runs a Ranger 621 multi-species boat with really high gunwales and free board and requires a 60" Minn Kota Ultrex to fish in windy and choppy conditions, but I can't imagine needing anything like that on my AVX 1980. In addition, I make a lot of shoreline pitching and sidearm skipping casts on the flood control flowages I fish in NW Wisconsin, and I have enough challenges with my 47" Ghost getting in the way of these types of casts and couldn't imagine trying the same casts with a trolling motor that is 10" higher than the one I have now.

I'd go with the 50" Garmin Force for my specific fishing requirements.

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

3. Member
    Thank you sir

4. Member
    You are most welcome!

I hope you are happy with whichever version of Garmin Force trolling motor you decide to purchase.
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

5. Member
    I have a 2019 1980 and have a Garmin Force 50" on the bow. The 50" works perfectly in 90% of situations I find myself. The other 10% of the time I wonder if I should have gone with the longer shaft. I do not fish much really big water (though I live near Lake Michigan) but when some of the big water boats and wake surfing boats come by, the 50" prop will come out of the water - which is not always great when I'm flipping a dock. The fix? I keep an eye out for the waves/wakes and pre-position the boat before the waves get to me and push me into something I do not want to pushed in to.

6. Member
    That sounds like my boat now with the ultrex. I don’t know shaft length. Just whatever came on It. Probably 45” which I’ve heard is the equivalent of the 50” garmin force. If it’s wavy it’ll cavitate, especially if I go to the back of the boat.

7. Member
    @cbump - I moved from a 45' ultrex as well. The Force is a better and quieter TM, but I notice no difference in cavitation when the big boats come by. I don't regret the upgrade but on occasion (weekends when there is a lot of activity on the water) I wonder if the 57" would have been a better choice. Just my opinion based on my experience.

8. Member
    I think I might go with the 57. The cons I’ve heard don’t seem like that big of a deal for me.

9. Member
    Good luck with the new trolling motor and please have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    I think I might go with the 57. The cons I’ve heard don’t seem like that big of a deal for me.
    What about fit with your current cover. I know I couldn’t put a longer TM on my 1880 under either my factory cover or my custom cover.

11. Member
    Didn’t think of that lol

12. Member
    Good point. I have a friend in West Michigan that re-worked my cover for me. Only cost me $150, but I know that was way under market. She is the wife of my tournament partner, so I received the friend/family discount.