Reelfoot Lake - Early March

I'm planning a trip down to Reelfoot in March and it's my first time going there.

I've looked at maps, read the articles and have watched all of the videos I can find on it.

The only thing I'm missing is overall water color/clarity in early March. Does it get very muddy down there this time of the year? I'm guessing it's fairly green with moderate clarity? Just looking to hone in on my bait selection a bit.

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    It's always muddy... no matter when you go.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    It's always muddy... no matter when you go.
    Not true. Usually dirtier in the spring like anywhere else but once the vegetation gets going good in the early summer there are some backwaters as clear as swimming pool water.

March could be a different animal though, Slayer. Depending on rain it could be pretty dirty at that time. I wouldn’t expect anywhere more than 3 foot visibility or so at the most that time of year.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StretcherJockey View Post
    Not true. Usually dirtier in the spring like anywhere else but once the vegetation gets going good in the early summer there are some backwaters as clear as swimming pool water.

March could be a different animal though, Slayer. Depending on rain it could be pretty dirty at that time. I wouldn’t expect anywhere more than 3 foot visibility or so at the most that time of year.
    Copy that, thank you! Just doing my bait review and want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

5. Member
    You going out for bass or crappie? They are smoking the crappie now, but I have not talked to anyone bass fishing. It is the time of the year when duck season has ended and now they will start fishing for bass. The water is up and looks good. No matter how much rain they get you can find clear water.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 354ranger View Post
    You going out for bass or crappie? They are smoking the crappie now, but I have not talked to anyone bass fishing. It is the time of the year when duck season has ended and now they will start fishing for bass. The water is up and looks good. No matter how much rain they get you can find clear water.
    We'll be going for bass for the most part. 1 week away so we'll see what happens. The muddy/murky water doesn't bother me, I just want to make sure I bring the right equipment and start getting in the right mindset for what I'll be doing.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer412 View Post
    We'll be going for bass for the most part. 1 week away so we'll see what happens. The muddy/murky water doesn't bother me, I just want to make sure I bring the right equipment and start getting in the right mindset for what I'll be doing.
    In my experience there, as cliché as it sounds 90% of the bass live in 10% of the lake. It can be a very tough nut to crack because EVERYTHING looks like there should be a bass living next to it and there’s often little to no discernible features that make sense as to why one area has bass in it at that time but another doesn’t. I assure you they live there though.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StretcherJockey View Post
    In my experience there, as cliché as it sounds 90% of the bass live in 10% of the lake. It can be a very tough nut to crack because EVERYTHING looks like there should be a bass living next to it and there’s often little to no discernible features that make sense as to why one area has bass in it at that time but another doesn’t. I assure you they live there though.
    So that sounds about right, does anybody happen to know where that 10% of the lake is that they’re at? It’s been a brutal 2 days so far. The west side of the lake was green/murky and the east side was mud. We’ve been up in the 2-4’ range and out to the 10-12’ range. We’ve thrown everything at them in multiple color variations. When we ask the locals, nobody seems to know where the bass are at.

If anybody has a general idea of where they’re at, that’d be awesome. We just can’t find them… lol I’m waiting the white flag!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer412 View Post
    So that sounds about right, does anybody happen to know where that 10% of the lake is that they’re at? It’s been a brutal 2 days so far. The west side of the lake was green/murky and the east side was mud. We’ve been up in the 2-4’ range and out to the 10-12’ range. We’ve thrown everything at them in multiple color variations. When we ask the locals, nobody seems to know where the bass are at.

If anybody has a general idea of where they’re at, that’d be awesome. We just can’t find them… lol I’m waiting the white flag!
    Very tight lipped folks around there. Most of my experience on the lake has been a bit later in the year but I’ve had good luck before in Burnt Woods and Starve Pond. Also the ditches west and north west of Kirby’s Pocket. Good luck, hope it gets better.

10. Member
    Not been on that lake very much, despite it being reasonably close to me. Mostly a few small club tournaments that I was forced. My experience with it as a rule.. the folks that know it.. catch good bags, consistently. when you don't..it's a barren wasteland. When it comes to Reelfoot Bass fishing.. I'd say in my experience, it's more like 99% of the fish live in 1% of the lake. I've yet to land in that 1% and don't intend to spend anymore time searching for it. I'm not a fan. Though, these days I am hearing it has become a crappie destination and has long been considered one of the best bluegill/shell cracker lakes in the country. I'll add this.. It might be the most scenic lake I've ever fished.. everywhere there is just like what you would dream a bass fishing lake should look like. Still... very tough nut to crack the bass code there, for me at least.

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    The problem with Reelfoot is that everywhere looks great. You can waste a lot of time on those good looking areas with zero results.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Gray View Post
    Not been on that lake very much, despite it being reasonably close to me. Mostly a few small club tournaments that I was forced. My experience with it as a rule.. the folks that know it.. catch good bags, consistently. when you don't..it's a barren wasteland. When it comes to Reelfoot Bass fishing.. I'd say in my experience, it's more like 99% of the fish live in 1% of the lake. I've yet to land in that 1% and don't intend to spend anymore time searching for it. I'm not a fan. Though, these days I am hearing it has become a crappie destination and has long been considered one of the best bluegill/shell cracker lakes in the country. I'll add this.. It might be the most scenic lake I've ever fished.. everywhere there is just like what you would dream a bass fishing lake should look like. Still... very tough nut to crack the bass code there, for me at least.
    with you on the scenic part. That’s what keeps me going back a couple times each year. I’ve probably never caught for them 7 or 8 in a day and most days it’s way less than that. It’s just such a beautiful place I’ll sacrifice some catching to get to spend a day there.

13. Member
    Well the trip is over and yah, everybody's responses here are pretty accurate. The main part of lake apparently doesn't have any bass. Going to the east side near Kirby Pocket, Burnt Woods and Starve Pocket seem to be where the bass are at.

It blows my mind how we talked to 5-6 people there and they all stated "I've lived here my whole life" followed with "I have no idea where the bass are at". Then we make this post and ended up talking to a few people in Union City and everybody has the same response which is essentially the east side of the lake.

So to any newcomers going to Reel Foot Lake for bass, don't waste your time on the main part of the lake. Go east!!!