Just bought a 2019 Bass Tracker Classic. Seeking helpful tips.

Hello, I just bought a used 2019 Bass Tracker Classic with 50HP mercury. It's the aluminum/classic looking version that was the catalog special a few years ago. So if anyone has one of these boats or any bass tracker, I have a few basic questions since this is my first tin boat. I really appreciate it!

1. I need a cover because it might have to stay outside for a year until I get a shed. I just want to keep the sun off and rain out. Are there any good amazon/knock off cover options that are good for this boat? I really don't want to spend $500 on the custom exact fit for this boat. Or if you have one you want to sell, I may be interested.

2. How do I clean the aluminum hull? It's not painted, it is just the classic silver aluminum look. What is an everyday wipe day spray when I get off the water or what do you use?

3. How long can I expect to be able to ride on this 6gal gas tank? Normal riding/fishing not wide open throttle all day. For example could I ride 10 miles up lake and 10 back down?

4. Is it worth going through the motions of transferring the warranty and paying the $100 to Tracker and taking to the dealer for an inspection?

Thanks for any info!

2. Member
    1) I have no opinion.

2) I do not know how to clean bare aluminum. Most folks that I knew had a bare aluminum hull let them patina but these were small v hull boats.

3) I know that boat sips gas so you should easily be able to travel 20 miles. I would expect range to be closer to 50 miles.

4) Yes it would be worth doing.

3. Member
    Now this is just me, so heres what I would do
    1. If its only going to be a year or so blue or gray (depending on your color preference) tarp will be fine. Might have to get a couple thru the year.
    2. On mine after each trip I would run my hand down the hull (from top to bottom) and when I could feel a ridge I would hit it with a Brillo pad when I got home.
    3. Is the 50 a 4stroke? If it is I can tell you 6gal. will take you a long ways.
    4. Yes. Probably won't need it but would do it for the piece of mind

4. Member
    I would prefer unpainted aluminum. Mine is black. I've got a 12 gallon tank so I don't have to fill every trip, or worry about how much I use. Om my last trip I went 23.7 miles on 2.8 gallons. 20 miles is no problem.

I damaged my factory cover trying to fit it over my Terrova trolling motor. I got a cover from Academy that was too big so it would cover it. My boat sweated under that cover. I changed trolling motors, and Mrs B repaired my original cover.

5. Member
    I appreciate these tips, very helpful!

Re: warranty - there are two to do transfer paperwork on, the hull and the motor, and you have limited time to do both, around 30 days from purchase. Get the paperwork from both companies ASAP and get them transferred. You're only going to get 2 years out of the Mercury warranty but if anything was going to break it would more likely be at the end of the warranty period anyway.

1. I have no opinion outside of the factory LaKota cover.

2. I'm not sure with the bare aluminum, as mine is painted red so I can't say for sure. I usually just wipe down the boat using the same water that I was just in and it comes out really clean relatively free of scum and avoids the need to wash while I'm out of the water.

3. I would say you would probably get something around 40-50 miles max on the 6 gallon tank. I have a 12 gallon and I don't even think about fuel unless I've been through one entire day and have gone to tons of different areas far away from each other.

4. I am in the same boat as you but I ultimately deemed it not worth it, as I do all of my mods/ maintenance/ and repairs myself on the rig so I really don't need their warranty which would look for any reason to deny me anyways. Your results may vary, so this one is entirely up to you.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

8. Member
    If you wash the boat religiously after each use, the aluminum will stay looking good. We have muddy lakes here in NJ and if you don't keep up with wiping boat down, you'll get a scum line that's really hard to get off. Any kind of boat wash or dish soap works fine. But the key is to do it as soon as you get home. Heck, if you can wipe it down at the ramp, even better.

As for the cover, I am not sure how much rain/snow you get where you are, but unless you spend big $, there are no real waterproof covers. They are only "water resistant" which means if it's not installed just right or the rain is heavy, you WILL get water in the boat. My boat came with a new Dowco Tracker cover and light rain is fine, but if it downpours it soaks through.

If you don't care about how it looks, get a $30 Walmart tarp and some bungie cords. The tarp will stay waterproof for at least 6 months before the sun starts wearing it down. So for about $60 a year you can keep your boat dry.

9. Member
    ^ ^^ ^^^ all good info! thanks!

Skeeter I'm in charlotte and I just got a new to me 2016 170, I've buzzed it around all over and it sips fuel just bring a small flash light with you or monitor how much you use each time you go out.

There's alot of guys on a 170 face book group who use polish stained hulls with aluminum polish. Any type of quick wipe down spray when you get off the water should keep it pretty clean, just do that at the ramp and dont let a mud line bake into it.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul40269 View Post
    If you wash the boat religiously after each use, the aluminum will stay looking good. We have muddy lakes here in NJ and if you don't keep up with wiping boat down, you'll get a scum line that's really hard to get off. Any kind of boat wash or dish soap works fine. But the key is to do it as soon as you get home. Heck, if you can wipe it down at the ramp, even better.

As for the cover, I am not sure how much rain/snow you get where you are, but unless you spend big $, there are no real waterproof covers. They are only "water resistant" which means if it's not installed just right or the rain is heavy, you WILL get water in the boat. My boat came with a new Dowco Tracker cover and light rain is fine, but if it downpours it soaks through.

If you don't care about how it looks, get a $30 Walmart tarp and some bungie cords. The tarp will stay waterproof for at least 6 months before the sun starts wearing it down. So for about $60 a year you can keep your boat dry.
    Bought a 2 pack of tarps on sale from Costco here in Ontario, Canada for about $40.00 (12' X20'), are they big enough for your boat ?

12. Member
    I ran 2 stroke 50 Merc. and Johnson back in the 80s. They were misers, but I still want the security of the 12gal tank. You can get a cheap cover at Harbor Freight; however, a fitted cover will keep the pollen and cats out of your boat under your shed. I use Mr. Clean and spray any scumline with F11 Topcoat because the top half of my hull is painted. I used Bassboat Saver in the past, which is cheaper and still effective. The F11 only needs application every 3 months, where the BBS was needed every trip on the scumline. Absolutely transfer the warranty for a look see. How many hours on the motor? Get oil and lower unit oil changed and have compression checked. Outboards are priced in the stratosphere. I was thinking of trading my Optimax for a 4 Stroke, but only have 100 hour on mine. New 115ProXS is over 12K.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver