Thread: Wedge Grinds

Wedge Grinds

School me on wedge grinds.

My gap wedge as part of my Iron set is a 48*. My current sand wedge is a Vokey SM9 56.10 S grind, and Lob wedge is Vokey SM5 60.08 S grind.

I feel like there's too much of a gap between my gap wedge and sand wedge, so looking to get a 54 and then replace my lob wedge with a 58.

I've read a ton about different grinds (specifically talking about Titleist Vokeys) but still kinda lost on which to get. I used to have a 50.08 F grind Vokey and felt like I couldn't ever hit it, but hit my current S grinds fairly well.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    It really depends on your swing and turf conditions as to what fits you. 10 degrees on bounce is usually a great happy medium for most players. Out of the sand, more bounce is usually your friend. Less bounce wedges are for guys that can really control the low point of their swing. If you don't practice your short game a lot or you can't go somewhere for an outside wedge fitting, keep it simple and stay around 10 degrees.

I was told years ago that you typically want 4 degrees between wedges. I bought a 56 degree and I have been toying with getting a 60 degree but just can't. I have a big problem with getting consistent yardage with my 56.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    School me on wedge grinds.

My gap wedge as part of my Iron set is a 48*. My current sand wedge is a Vokey SM9 56.10 S grind, and Lob wedge is Vokey SM5 60.08 S grind.

I feel like there's too much of a gap between my gap wedge and sand wedge, so looking to get a 54 and then replace my lob wedge with a 58.

I've read a ton about different grinds (specifically talking about Titleist Vokeys) but still kinda lost on which to get. I used to have a 50.08 F grind Vokey and felt like I couldn't ever hit it, but hit my current S grinds fairly well.
    Here is the Titleist wedge selector App. I am partial to the M grind as I really like to work the ball.

https://www.vokey.com/tools/wedge-se...UaAo3uEALw_wcB

How you outfit your bag really depends on the grass and courses. My stock is 48PW, 52, 56 and 60. I have 54, 58 and a 62 that I can swap out with. I have 2 56's, one with 10 and one with 12 degrees bounce as sand consistency is key. Firmer, the less bounce, and some grasses like bermuda and zoysia require more bounce out of the rough that bluegrass IMO. So as the fisherman say, match the hatch for best results.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    Here is the Titleist wedge selector App. I am partial to the M grind as I really like to work the ball.

https://www.vokey.com/tools/wedge-se...UaAo3uEALw_wcB

How you outfit your bag really depends on the grass and courses. My stock is 48PW, 52, 56 and 60. I have 54, 58 and a 62 that I can swap out with. I have 2 56's, one with 10 and one with 12 degrees bounce as sand consistency is key. Firmer, the less bounce, and some grasses like bermuda and zoysia require more bounce out of the rough that bluegrass IMO. So as the fisherman say, match the hatch for best results.
    Thanks. I play courses with different types of grass and turf so I might have to get a few different grinds just to be prepared. I'm going for a wedge fitting at Golf Galaxy in Short Pump tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    First stop using a 56 and a 60. Only way to go is 54 and 58 degree. 54 with 10 or 12 bounce and 58 with 6 or 8

Index +0.1

7. Member
    50, 54, and 58 here. My P wedge is at 47. My bounce is 10 on the 50 and 54, and 8 on the 58. This setup has worked well for me. Where you start your loft on wedges larrgely depends onn where your P wedge loft is. I try to keep consistent gaps between my lofts as I go down. It helps a bunch with full shot distances. Are you a guy that typically hits full shots with your sand wedge? All these things are factors. If you are hitting a fair amount of full shots with your sand wedge, I would definitely start around that 10 degree bounce range on that as well as the approach wedge. I am not a great golfer, but these things have most certainly helped me.

In terms of grind, I am not a Vokey player, but I was going to spec a set of Vokeys for me, I would go with D on my 50, D or S on my 54 and M on my 58. Your wedge fitting will likely tell you everything that you need to know.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax