Dallas FTWorth (DFW) 2019 RT188 Hull leak help

So I have found a crack on my hull along the center strake\keel of the hull. I hope thats the right terms...... The crack has formed up front of the hull where the bottom starts to curve towards the bow and goes towards the stern of the boat. I noticed a progressive use of the bilge apparently happening as the hull continued to tear to now a 1 foot+ crack.

With the above mentioned I wanted to get recommendations on places in the Dallas FTWorth area that would be able to handle this type of aluminum hull boat repair. I know I should call Ranger to benefit from the dealer support network but I have learned its good to also get real experiences\perspectives from end users as well.

I am bummed but motivated to get this fixed so I can get back on the water.

Than you all in advance.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

2. Moderator
    Good luck. I had a crack in an older aluminum boat and no local welder would touch it because it had foam around the crack. I am not sure if these Rangers are foamed or not. If they are I would think your best bet would be to send it back for warranty work (if it's still under warranty).

3. Member
    I hope its not that bad but yes these are full of foam.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

Hate to read about it.
    Take a bunch of pictures of the damage.
    If you still want to use your boat until you can find a way to get it repaired, need to drill a small hole at the leading and trailing points to prevent the crack from "growing".
    Good luck and I hope you get it repaired or replaced.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Hate to read about it.
    Take a bunch of pictures of the damage.
    If you still want to use your boat until you can find a way to get it repaired, need to drill a small hole at the leading and trailing points to prevent the crack from "growing".
    Good luck and I hope you get it repaired or replaced.
    Thank you for the information to help keep the crack from spreading further. Unfortunately the crack is to big now to safely be on the water. I am looking to get this repaired as soon as possible so I can get back out there.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

If it is in warranty, get to the dealer and get it to the factory.

If you or another welder goes working on it, you will void the warranty and you will be SOL if it does not fix it and you will be out an expensive boat. At the factory, they can get inside and look at cross members and welds and fix it from the inside out. They might even give you a new hull... you very well have a problem internal that caused the crack.

That's my $.02 anyway. I would go the factory warranty route. If you want it faster....unload everything and drive it up yourself if you live within that possibility.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    If it is in warranty, get to the dealer and get it to the factory.

If you or another welder goes working on it, you will void the warranty and you will be SOL if it does not fix it and you will be out an expensive boat. At the factory, they can get inside and look at cross members and welds and fix it from the inside out. They might even give you a new hull... you very well have a problem internal that caused the crack.

That's my $.02 anyway. I would go the factory warranty route. If you want it faster....unload everything and drive it up yourself if you live within that possibility.
    I am looking at that option as well. I wanted to see if there were local authorized repair shops that could also address it. To your point though getting this fixed by Ranger or getting them to help me locate an authorized dealer seems to be the best course.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

8. Member
    Surferboy120......My friend who also lives near Dallas, has a 198P just noticed it is having the same issue, in the same area. What type of resolution did you choose and what was the outcome? Thanks for your reply.

9. Member
    One of my Prior Rangers (glass) had the top cap separate from the hull. That was the boat from hell built on a Friday afternoon as soon as they finished the Christmas Party or something? Ranger fixed every single issue! They sent me to a local glass shop for the top cap repairs. My other options were to strip it down and pull it to AR, or leave it at the local dealer and wait on one of their trucks delivering boats to haul it back on their dime.

Hope ya'll get some relief soon! I'd also use the factory warranty...good for life to the original owner. It can be transferred prior to five years but only covers ten years total. One of the reasons I bough new.

10. Member
    Quick update....Insurance totaled the boat after finding the crack ran down the stringer all the way to the transom. I recently purchased a Bass Cat Sabre FTD. I do love this new boat.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surferboy120 View Post
    Quick update....Insurance totaled the boat after finding the crack ran down the stringer all the way to the transom. I recently purchased a Bass Cat Sabre FTD. I do love this new boat.
    I had the first year Sabre FTD, think it was a 2007? That is a great hull! It's as close to a go kart on the water as you'll find...enjoy!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I had the first year Sabre FTD, think it was a 2007? That is a great hull! It's as close to a go kart on the water as you'll find...enjoy!

So far I have only had it out only 2 times but I couldn't agree more with you and the size is just perfect for me. Its been a big upgrade as well as pleasure to fish off of so far. It is 18'1 but it has more storage and the hull is amazing on the water. I do think the RT188 is more stable on the deck as well as bigger. For me though neither have been any issue.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin