Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Thanks again for all the input guys. I haven't been able to get to our local Scheels yet, but I know they carry the Suffix 832 braids, so I'll check there. I'm either going to go with the yellow or white. I'd prefer to see them in person before choosing just to see if my eyes like one over the other.

Something I've mentioned on these boards before but probably is worth mentioning again: Sufix 832 is a line that will elicit some strong opinions. I used it a LOT and was always happy with it. Or at least I thought I was. It's smooth, holds up well, tends to lose its color a bit but probably no worse than any other, and it stays the same for years on end. Then one day I was complaining to a buddy about how much I hated throwing a frog anymore. It was more a conversation about how I've become more impatient over the years. Anyhow, long story short, the subject of line came up, and he mentioned hating 832: "It sinks!" Suddenly it clicked. No wonder throwing a frog had become such a chore--if the boat moved at all I ended up with a big belly in the line! And no wonder those finesse techniques had been feeling so much more "heavy" over the past couple years!

So I'm good with 832 for casting and winding, but really can't stand it for most other stuff...including techniques where hi-vis would be useful. Clearly some people love it, and it may even be for that exact reason. Just something to be aware of before you purchase it, cause braid ain't cheap!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Something I've mentioned on these boards before but probably is worth mentioning again: Sufix 832 is a line that will elicit some strong opinions. I used it a LOT and was always happy with it. Or at least I thought I was. It's smooth, holds up well, tends to lose its color a bit but probably no worse than any other, and it stays the same for years on end. Then one day I was complaining to a buddy about how much I hated throwing a frog anymore. It was more a conversation about how I've become more impatient over the years. Anyhow, long story short, the subject of line came up, and he mentioned hating 832: "It sinks!" Suddenly it clicked. No wonder throwing a frog had become such a chore--if the boat moved at all I ended up with a big belly in the line! And no wonder those finesse techniques had been feeling so much more "heavy" over the past couple years!

So I'm good with 832 for casting and winding, but really can't stand it for most other stuff...including techniques where hi-vis would be useful. Clearly some people love it, and it may even be for that exact reason. Just something to be aware of before you purchase it, cause braid ain't cheap!
    I gave into the temptation of 832 a few years ago as well due to its popularity. I too didn't care for it at all either and went back to my old Power Pro, but couldn't put my finger on it. This explains it!

4. Member

Just wondering out loud here,as I too use braid for a couple setups,but what about using floatant on your line like the fly fishermen use? It says in addition to making dry flies float,it also helps line float too. I might have to give it a try also.

Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    I gave into the temptation of 832 a few years ago as well due to its popularity. I too didn't care for it at all either and went back to my old Power Pro, but couldn't put my finger on it. This explains it!
    That stuff is popular in our neck of the woods, I suppose due to Feider's sponsorship arrangement and the fact that Rapala is headquartered so close? As I'm sure you know, we've got to be careful about saying anything negative about 832 around here!

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Moser View Post
    Just wondering out loud here,as I too use braid for a couple setups,but what about using floatant on your line like the fly fishermen use? It says in addition to making dry flies float,it also helps line float too. I might have to give it a try also.
    It's a good thought, and after spending probably 10 years away from bass fishing completely immersed in fly fishing I'm familiar enough with the stuff to say that it would probably work. But...that's an awful lot of trouble to go to when other braided lines just don't sink, plus the stuff can leave a residue behind that I'm sure we wouldn't want all over our reels.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

6. Member

Drew, thanks for the info! I always thought that 832 floated, in part due to the 1 gore-tex strand and I thought they had marketed it as being hydrophobic? I'm always trying to find a better braid and decided to try the 131 on a reel this year. Now I'm wondering if it sinks too.

Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Drew, thanks for the info! I always thought that 832 floated, in part due to the 1 gore-tex strand and I thought they had marketed it as being hydrophobic? I'm always trying to find a better braid and decided to try the 131 on a reel this year. Now I'm wondering if it sinks too.
    I'm pretty sure hydrophobic would only mean that it doesn't absorb water, while its specific gravity would determine whether or not it sinks. Based on the reading I did after it all clicked when I was trying to figure out why it sinks more than others, the consensus seems to be that the Gore fiber is what causes it to sink. The other 7 carriers are HMPE which is common in lot of braided line, and which has a specific gravity less than 1 meaning that it floats. Given that the 131 also has the Gore fiber my assumption is that it sinks too, though I bet a bit slower since the individual strands in it are going to be smaller meaning the single Gore fiber would be smaller.

To be fair, I don't think sinking braid is always a problem. It's just a pain when you're not expecting it!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

8. Member
    To be fair, I don't think sinking braid is always a problem. It's just a pain when you're not expecting it!
    Drew, what braid have you settled in on for your frogging then after figuring out the issue you had with 832? I have been using J-Braid X8 for most of my braid applications but have a bunch of 832 I got cheap I was about to spool up on reels, but thinking its out for the frog rod after reading about your experiences with it.

I’m probably not the best to answer that question as I’m not that great with a frog, but the J-Braid x8 is exactly what I’ve been using. I like it a lot all around, it’s smooth, casts really well, quiet through the guides, holds up well, and most importantly a frog isn’t miserable to throw anymore.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12