Rt188 leaf springs

Called Ranger today with my trailer vin, which was Ranger made. They couldn't tell me the leaf spring length or lb rating. Told me to call ez loader.

Ez loader says they couldn't do anything for me since it was a Ranger built trailer.

So... Anyone know spring length or rating? I worry about measuring as they can flatten and lengthen as they were out. I assume a 3500lb pair would be about perfect?

2. Member
    The GVWR of my 2015 is 2905; 2023 GVWR is 2950.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

3. Member
    The tag on mine says 2950 too. My "assumption" (you know what they say about that) is that the springs capacity are going to be over the GVWR. There are laws in some states about over 3k weight trailers needing brakes, so Im sure Ranger just set the GVWR just below that to skirt the brake regulation, even through the trailer can handle more. I know the bearings used on the spindle are very typical for a 3500lb setup

4. Member
    When I busted one on my backtrack trailer with brakes I took the good one off and took it to a local spring and frame shop and they sized them up. Worked out great, raised it up a little too.

Quote Originally Posted by atljar View Post
    Called Ranger today with my trailer vin, which was Ranger made. They couldn't tell me the leaf spring length or lb rating. Told me to call ez loader.

Ez loader says they couldn't do anything for me since it was a Ranger built trailer.

So... Anyone know spring length or rating? I worry about measuring as they can flatten and lengthen as they were out. I assume a 3500lb pair would be about perfect?
    Would it help if I measured the center to center distance on mine? I might also be able to get info from EZ-Loader since they made my trailer in 2018. Send me a PM if you want me call them.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

6. Member
    Late reply, sorry just saw this but thank you so much for the offer!

Here's my long winded reply that may be helpful to future readers. My trailer tires rubbed the fenders on bumps. The tire was about 1/4" away from the back of the fender when sitting still, and almost 1.5" from the front of the fender. Any decent bump would load the tire into the fender. The issue was worsened because on leaf springs as they compress, they also lengthen moving the axle rearward even more. I have correctly sized tires on the trailer and new shackle and spring bushings. Springs inspected and not cracked. In other words, no where close to the tire being centered in the wheel well and no apparent mechanical issues.

I started to think someone has installed too long of length springs on mine prior to my ownership, which would have pushed the center of the spring backwards, causing the issue. Springs I had were 25 1/4". My plan was to buy some ~24" springs, which would have moved the axles forward 5/8" centering it up nicely. Upon measuring more carefully, using a 24" spring would have been short enough to cause the shackle to flip backwards and bind, so not an option.

Solution: Installed a new pair of 25 1/4" springs just to be sure mine werent faulty in some way. 3500lb rating as that is what the axle bearings were rated for. Still rubbed. I then cut off the spring mounting plate on the axle and the U bolt plate and re-drilled the holes in them at an offset. This effectively moved the axle forward on the spring so that the axle is no longer perfectly centered on the spring. Measured the axle toe to the front hitch to ensure everything was square and rewelded the brackets back to the axle tube. Tire is now centered and no longer rubs.

Only thing I can figure is the trailer was made wrong to start with. Either the spring mount and shackles were welded in too far back, or the fender/step was welded in too far forward.

7. Member
    I have very little clearance on my trailer, still have not decided what to do. If you replaced them and it was no better, not sure I want to.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jml View Post
    I have very little clearance on my trailer, still have not decided what to do. If you replaced them and it was no better, not sure I want to.
    If your wheel is centered, then you can install a longer shackle for increased ride height. Shackle length increase / 2 = ~ Height raised. So 1" longer shackle gives you ~0.5" increase in ride height. You cant go crazy here though as you want to keep the shackle around a 90º angle to the spring eye to eye line. I wouldn't worry about 1" or 1.5" increase in length at all.

If your wheel isn't centered like mine, I don't believe there is an option available to correct it other than cutting and welding. Increasing ride height wouldnt have changed anything as mine was rubbing the back side of the fender only.