Thread: livewell seaing

livewell seaing

While working on installing new seat bases I noticed a potential problem around the livewell. At the top of the livewell there is a gap between it and the pedestal deck. It is almost 3/4" wide and has a 1/4" bead of silicone sitting on the top of the lip that is not doing anything. It appears that the wall around it is fiberglass covered wood partition. I am trying to figure out what is the best way to fill this area . It is tricky as one has to stand on your head to get up under there. Maybe it isn't an issue as not sure exactly how this is all constructed but can picture water sloshing up and over .....if drains into bilge area no problem, but if runs into insulation area seems to asking for trouble
    I am looking for suggestionslivewell.jpg

2. mikesxpress
    David your seeing what allot of folks miss when looking at a boat purchase. The OEMs put the top cap on and it doesn't seal to the livewells already placed in the hull. What make/model/year of boat is it?

3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 is a one-component, high-strength, moisture-curing, gap-filling polyurethane for permanent bonding of wood, gelcoat and fiberglass. It cures to form a firm, rubbery, waterproof seal on joints and boat hardware, above and below the waterline.

3. Member
    Its a 1990 Champion The poly caulk is a good idea but might be a challenge due to the gap size. I can easily place my fingers in there , ie 3/4". I'll try it over some backing rod .( after making sure it's compatible)
    In this application is Lowes poly caulk good enough? Being in small town getting the marine 5200 may be tough.

4. mikesxpress
    Amazon