Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Active Captain Card issues

So I'm having an issue that I can't seem to figure out. I've followed this video and can't get my phone to recognize the card in the unit.

i'm using a 32 gig sandisk extreme card formatted in fat32

the step that seems to be missing, is the unit never gives me the new user added prompt they show in the video

i did create the wifi network and the phone is connected to the units wifi

I'm formatting the card from the unit and the unit seems to create the card because I get the following when i remove the card

here is the message on the phone

and here is the card screen on the unit

when I check the card on the pc, I get a scan and fix option and the card has the following files in a garmin folder

activecaptaincard.dat
    garmin device

the only thing i have not tried at this point is a new card, which should arrive tomorrow and will probably fix it since I took the time to type this whole thing!

2. Banned
    well it's not the card. I get the same results with a new 16 gig and 32 gig class 10. the only thing I haven't tried is to do a skip instead of formatting the card.

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Have you deleted and reinstalled app??
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Banned
    Yes

5. Member
    Are you formatting the card as FAT32? I believe that is what you want to do.

6. Banned
    Yes and choosing format on the unit when initially inserting the card

What seems to be missing from all these videos is a never get the new user added message when I connect the phone to the Garmin WiFi

7. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Did you reset the app on your phone? I had to do this a couple of times when doing updates on mine the other day for it to connect and "stay" connected. Does the Garmin unit show "mobile connected"? I actually had to pull up my default home wifi in settings on my phone and turn off the auto connect to that router before it started connecting to my Garmin. Never had to do this before but it worked.

8. Member
    WIFI Connect to the unit with the card in it and have any other units wifi off. Also do the same for bluetooth Connect to receive messages from a phone.
    That's what seems to work for me when I had similar messages.

9. Banned
    yes the phone is connected to the garmin wifi

10. Banned
    well, I give up. In 30+ years of IT support, I've never had an issue I couldn't figure out.

I even inserted both cards at the same time and got a message that there were 2 active captain cards in the unit at the same time, but the phone still never recognizes it

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Wonder if this could be a software bug between iPhone and AC app........

Did you call tech to see if they know of anything?
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. Member
    Have you updated the unit with an sdcard?

In this video is says to update the unit first, might be worth a try just for giggles.

13. Banned
    I have not called support

I did update the unit via micro sd card. That’s actually my preferred way of doing updates and I’ll likely never use the app. It just pisses me off that I can’t get it to work

14. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Put a blank card in the unit and reformat it for AC per the menu options. "Reset" AC on your phone (no need to delete it) before doing this. Turn off access to any other available WiFi (home) on your phone. Fire up the Garmin with the new card and then open AC on your phone and the Garmin unit and hit the sync with plotter option on the phone. As I mentioned I went through this the other day and this was the only way I could connect with the Garmin units. If this doesn't work then you need to contact Garmin. There could be an issue going that they are not aware of but can definitely walk you through.

Reading back through your connection messages I noticed that your AC says connected to Troys Wifi. When I asked the question of whether or not the units are connected I was referring to the "mobile connected" message on the Garmin home screen. Your AC will easily recognize the Garmin WiFi and give you the connected status but if the Garmin is not giving you a "mobile connected" you're not going to be able to sync. Try the procedure I suggested up top and see if it doesn't work. You might have to start at square one a couple of times but there should be no reason to go as far as deleting the AC on your phone.
    Last edited by RangrSkipr; 02-10-2023 at 10:29 AM.

I sent you a PM asking for contact info so Support could reach out. But, what MFD are you using (maybe an Echomap Ultra)? If so, please confirm that you are running current software (23.10). Also, on the MFD ActiveCaptain dashboard page, does it list you as the owner?
    Garmin Pro Team

16. Banned
    126sv

I’ll try to get a screen shot of the active captain dashboard page on the unit, but I think the answer is no

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadStiK View Post
    Put a blank card in the unit and reformat it for AC per the menu options. "Reset" AC on your phone (no need to delete it) before doing this. Turn off access to any other available WiFi (home) on your phone. Fire up the Garmin with the new card and then open AC on your phone and the Garmin unit and hit the sync with plotter option on the phone.

Reading back through your connection messages I noticed that your AC says connected to Troys Wifi. When I asked the question of whether or not the units are connected I was referring to the "mobile connected" message on the Garmin home screen.
    Didn’t work

I’ve gone one step further than this by actually resetting the unit to default and deleting and re-installing the app

This Garmin Home Screen?

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Also, on the MFD ActiveCaptain dashboard page, does it list you as the owner?
    I don’t see any mention of owner on the activecaptain page on the unit

19. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Not sure what to tell you besides contact support on Monday. They're really good about walking you through these issues. Honestly I've always found connecting with AC to be a bit tedious. Seems like it's a different sequence every time taking several tries. Are you seeing a status message like the one in the photo? The AC app will say you're connected to the Garmin's WiFi but until you get the message stating "mobile connected" you are NOT connected. What's worked for me is turn on the Garmin unit, make sure your phone recognizes the units Wifi, open the AC on the unit and then on your phone. The status should state "mobile connected" then select "sync with plotter" on the phone. As I mentioned, I sometimes have to do this several times but this seem like the best sequence. Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. Banned
    I’ve never seen that active captain screen. When I open it on the unit, this is all I see

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast