Troll Time 175TXW

Considering buying a 2018-2020 175TXW. Smaller lakes here in northern Ga are frequently electric only or 9.9HP or less, (so I would have to push this boat around the lake on TM only) and I've found these boats come factory with the small EDGE TM's. ( Was told by a Ga game warden I could use this boat in "electric/9.9 only" waters if my OB remained out of water or trimmed up ) My questions are: If we (wife and I) use the TM only to fish a lake, no trolling-just spot fishing and moving from spot to spot, is it reasonable that we could get a day's fishing, say 4-5 hours out of this TM and battery (with outboard trimmed up and out of water) ? Seems like a fairly large boat to push around with this small TM..... On the other hand, if I upgraded to a larger TM, say an 80# Ultrex 24V, how much would that help in pushing around this boat and could we get a day out of it? Thanks, Dave

2. Member
    I fish a few trolling motor only lakes near me, and would not want to do it with a 12 volt motor. If I used a 12 volt motor I would install another battery to double my run time. Hook them up in a parallel. I would just go with a 24 volt motor.

3. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    24v Ultrex will do everything you need and then some and will snatch that boat around like a play toy if needed. The stock 12v on that hull is worthless in any type of wind. I'm known for punching through some pretty stout wind in my 175txw to the point I question my own sanity, lol. Even with a pair of group 24's I've never run out of juice. One suggestion I have for you is to replace the stock wedge prop on the Ultrex with the Kipewa prop Tackle Warehouse sells. This is as long as you don't have to chop through vegetation. It's a smoother running and more efficient prop that will pull that boat a little faster also.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

No one likes a pot licker or GPS pirate. FIND YOUR OWN FISH!

4. Member
    Alanhore and Highcentered are right. Any sort of wind and the 12v has a tough time. I put an 80# 24v Ultrex and it's dreamy now. Plenty of power and with 2 100ah batteries it lasts all day EASY.

5. Member
    I would want two batteries for sure and if you are going to do that you will be much happier with a 24v.

6. Member
    As a general rule, a more powerful TM running at a lower setting will run much longer than a lower thrust TM at a higher setting if the batteries are the same. So All in agreement here in that upgrading would be the solution.
    2023 Targa V-19 Combo
    Mercury 200hp XS XL Four stroke
    Garmin Force TM-36v Ionic Lithium Batteries
    Best Speed to date: 51.2mph
    BEST/WORST: Storage / Compartment moisture

7. Member
    Thanks all. Guess I'm lookin for an ultrex.
    D.

8. Member
    Get a 24v trolling motor for sure. An ultrex is great but if it is out of your price range you can find a Fortrex barley used for pretty cheap, doesn't have spot lock but is still far better than a 12v edge. I run a 24v 80 lb thrust 45" shaft Fortrex on mine and it has been an excellent trolling motor.

9. Member
    Mix-
    Sorry if stupid question, but are those (2) 100AH batteries 12V or 24V?