Thread: Ballast

Ballast

I’ve found that I desperately need to add some weight to my side of boat when I’m carrying a partner. I’m figuring it needs to be about 60 pounds or so, the weight of the cranking battery. Anyone else do this, and if so, what do you use? I’d like it to be something as compact and convenient as possible to put in and take out.

2. Member
    I would recommend shifting your existing tackle, gear and/or batteries around.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

I carry a bag of lead shot for those times when you may or may not have a partner.
    Mine is set up to run with two. When just me a single shot bag in the port side locker will get me real close.

4. Member
    Bag(s) of lead shot are the best and most convenient as Mike said but if you’re in a pinch and have a few dumbbells laying around, grab a couple 30#s or similar and use that until you can get the bags.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

Lead shot does seem to fit what I’m looking for. Thanks

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Use tackle when possible, when you need more we use 25lb bags from Lead Wake.

25lb Lead Wake Ballast Bag – LEAD WAKE
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

7. Member
    The lead bags work great like Tim suggested. I have a couple of them myself. These bags work great as well...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With these and a $5 bag of play sand. You can fine tune how much and where the weight goes. They have a thick plastic liner and are made of a heavy sealable cordura outer material. I have squeezed 18lbs. into one bag. They will hold 15lbs easy and they work great!