Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Peleton Bike Experience

I used to be a runner. Due to back surgery, getting older and generally body being beat down from 20 years as a tanker in the Army. I can no longer place the stress and impact on my back from pounding pavement. I've already been through the Hoka shoes phase and that is no longer an option.

Anyway, I'm looking at the Peleton Bike. Road riding isn't an option and I need something interactive in order to keep my attention. Everything I've read indicates Peleton is probably my best choice. Anyone have any personal experience with the Peleton and their programs? I'm leaning toward the Peleton Bike+ for the auto resistance feature and the larger screen that can turn to allow other workouts easier to see.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Robert

2. Member
    My wife has wanted one for years. Finally got her one for Christmas. They were running a special back then. We paid around $1500 and they threw in I think $300 worth of stuff. (Mat, shoes, weights, water bottle etc). She absolutely loves it and I never in a million years thought I would enjoy it as much as I do. We both use it several times a week. I personally don’t think the model with the screen that turns is worth the extra money. You can stream all the workouts on a tv or a tablet. As long as the monthly fee doesn’t bother you do not hesitate to buy one. It is a fantastic machine, the workouts and instructors are great and it is a phenomenal workout. I’m happy to answer any other questions but hopefully this helps you.

I’ll also add it is addicting-you’ll find yourself really looking forward to getting back on for another workout. 👍
    Last edited by 10Basscat; 02-06-2023 at 10:18 PM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10Basscat View Post
    My wife has wanted one for years. Finally got her one for Christmas. They were running a special back then. We paid around $1500 and they threw in I think $300 worth of stuff. (Mat, shoes, weights, water bottle etc). She absolutely loves it and I never in a million years thought I would enjoy it as much as I do. We both use it several times a week. I personally don’t think the model with the screen that turns is worth the extra money. You can stream all the workouts on a tv or a tablet. As long as the monthly fee doesn’t bother you do not hesitate to buy one. It is a fantastic machine, the workouts and instructors are great and it is a phenomenal workout. I’m happy to answer any other questions but hopefully this helps you.

I’ll also add it is addicting-you’ll find yourself really looking forward to getting back on for another workout. 
    The other cool thing about the Bike + was the automatic resistance vs manual resistance levels. How much does that matter?

4. Member
    I had one for a while. While it was a good cardio workout, I just found for myself with limited time after work I preferred strength training and for home workout just pull-ups / push ups. But if I was die hard into doing cardio, one of the best pieces of cardio equipment I’ve used.

I had the manual resistance adjustment, worked great super easy and precise. I wouldn’t bother upgrading. Plus the cheesy weights / water bottle stuff they throw in isn’t worth the cash.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

5. Member
    I’ve never used the auto resistance so I can’t say what thats like but what I do know is the manual resistance has been a non issue. Super easy to use and honestly knowing me I’d want the control of manual resistance anyway lol. If it was a big deal my wife would have wanted it so that should tell you something. The control knob is right in front of you and it’s smooth and responsive and you see the number you put it to on the screen. Plus they will give you a resistance “window” so you just spin it to where it’s close. I definitely wouldn’t worry about not having that.

I would have bought one but the monthly online fitness plans for $30ish a month turned me off. I'll stick to my 20-year Schwinn bike.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

I don’t know about Peleton but we have the Echelon bike and I absolutely love it. I thought the idea of it was dumb but my wife wanted it so we got it and I think I use it more than her. We’ve had it about 2 months now and only good things to say about it. Lots of class options and instructors to keep it fresh, they do a good job of gamification to keep you coming back. I keep seeing sales advertised on FB for around $600 plus the monthly $35. Sturdy and easy to use, I believe even a tanker could do it
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

8. Member
    We have had a peloton for several years. I hate it, but my wife is always on that thing. The manual resistance is a non issue. Some of the rides are pretty intense, and you may not be able to go to the suggested resistance level. The monthly subscription has gone up to around $40/month.
    ________
    $8

9. Member
    wife had to have one 4-5 years ago- now she hardly rides

I ride it 2-3x a week and love it. im good for the 20-30 min classes with the gals. music is great and the time goes by quick. it whips me into shape.

manual resistance is fine and you'll prob want it as the resistance they say in the class can be weak and you'll always be 10-20 more

10. dartag1829
    Wife had one. I found it didn't really hold anymore jackets and clothes piled on it than the old Sears one did.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    I don’t know about Peleton but we have the Echelon bike and I absolutely love it. I thought the idea of it was dumb but my wife wanted it so we got it and I think I use it more than her. We’ve had it about 2 months now and only good things to say about it. Lots of class options and instructors to keep it fresh, they do a good job of gamification to keep you coming back. I keep seeing sales advertised on FB for around $600 plus the monthly $35. Sturdy and easy to use, I believe even a tanker could do it
    I've had the Echelon 5 bike now for 2 years. Fantastic investment, built like a tank.....and a fraction of the cost of the Peleton.
    Thousands of On Demand classes to take. I "Cast" my screen, from my phone, to a TV on the wall.....terrific, full size experience.

Highly recommend you research the Echelon Bike, if you want to save alot of money up front.

12. Member
    We have one get you will like it

My wife got one a few weeks ago and she really likes it. She's on it 3-4 times a week.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

14. Member
    Family friend, recovering cardiac patient, recently purchased a Norditrack R35 (he wanted a recumbent) and was swayed by the world-ride simulated adventure/trail riding experience, versus facing a spin-class instructor. He also likes how the bike applies resistance (uphill and downhill) in synch with the ride…

Wife just had to have one so we checked them out before simply buying one. After looking at different models and prices we actually decided to save almost $1k by purchasing the Echelon in the link. I couldn't find any discernable difference between it and the Peloton. Both have manual, adjustment, tablets with various simulated rides and live classes, seat and handlebar adjustments identical and both hold water bottles. She was all about it, riding it nearly every night for a month then simply got bored with it.
    It's sturdy, built like a freaking tank, the tablet shows your resistance level, speed, distance traveled etc. Check em out and good luck either way.

https://echelonfit.com/collections/c...nnect-bike-ex5

16. Member
    19K as well

Just looking at an exercise bike makes my knee throb.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

18. Member
    Look into the Bowflex bike as well

I've heard good things about that one.
    Huntin' Ducks, Chasin' Pheasant, Catching Fish

I have the a similar bike that runs on the iFit program. It's what the Nordictrack bikes run on. I haven't seen Pelaton's program in a while, but when I got my bike, Peloton was basically spin classes in a studio and that really wasn't my thing. iFit has some spin classes, but they also take you out on road rides as well and mountain bike trails and the bike auto adjusts for the riding terrain so it's more like going out and riding which is what I prefer to do. Plus it's $15 a month instead of $30.

Do you have to get the fitness plan with it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast