Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

looking at a keel guard not sure what to get

silver fiberglass boat 20 foot what color and size would you recommend? I'm assuming gray would be the best match

2. Member
    Hamby's Black long version, 8 foot. Have it dealer installed.

3. Member
    Hamby's

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Yep

6. Member
    Hambys is good. Other brands you can do yourself if you do it right it will be fine. I've installed 3 of them myself and they all were fine .
    GETFISHED !!!

Hamby
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

8. Member
    I replaced my old one myself and it was hard getting all the old adhesive off but it looks great and sealed just fine.

9. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Echoing others…

Hamby’s Original Beaching Bumper

Best addition I made to my rig… couldn’t fish most of the places I fish without it.
    Who controls John Gill?

10. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have used aKeelshield on my last 2 boats and they worked great easy to put on prep is the key. Had one developed a hole and they sent me a free replacement.I put an 7’ on my 18’ boat and I beach it on concrete ramps all the time they work. Check them out Keelshield or Gatorshield both very good
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Hamby's original
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

12. Member
    I’ve installed two Keelguard brand keel protectors and both stuck well, looked good and lasted well. With that said, I have a Hamby’s which was professionally installed on my current boat, and it is of obviously thicker rubber than a Keelguard product. If you can afford the Hamby’s I’d recommend it.

13. Member
    Never heard of hamby’s ever this is very interesting. What makes it better just thicker?
    does the boat need sanded to install the hamby’s? I’ll be taking it to a shop to be installed, just curious

Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishingLTN View Post
    Never heard of hamby’s ever this is very interesting. What makes it better just thicker?
    does the boat need sanded to install the hamby’s? I’ll be taking it to a shop to be installed, just curious
    Ernie Hamby was the invertor of the keel guard and his original design is the best. It's thick and will last the life of the boat. It must be installed by a pro, as the hull must be sanded and properly prepared for it to stick and be there forever. I had one put on my 1991 Ranger at a local dealer when they first came out. That keel guard is still in place on that boat. I had the second one factory installed when my last 2001 Ranger was built and it was going strong when I sold the boat the boat a few years ago. There's no substitute for the original Hamby's.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Ernie Hamby was the invertor of the keel guard and his original design is the best. It's thick and will last the life of the boat. It must be installed by a pro, as the hull must be sanded and properly prepared for it to stick and be there forever. I had one put on my 1991 Ranger at a local dealer when they first came out. That keel guard is still in place on that boat. I had the second one factory installed when my last 2001 Ranger was built and it was going strong when I sold the boat the boat a few years ago. There's no substitute for the original Hamby's.
    I agree with all of this. Same experience. That being said , not sure what happened or what phoenix sells, but my friends Phoenix fell off within a year from factory. Guess shit happens

Hamby's without question. If you're gonna spend that much money on a boat, why go cheap to protect it?
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

17. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Sometimes ease of installation and cost and availability can factor into things, obviously the Hamby's is the best and most requested but the others can serve the purpose well just saying
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

I'm with you guys on the Hambys, had one installed the day I bought my boat 10 years ago, and it is still going strong.

19. Member
    Linex!!
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Same here. Had mine factory installed in 2001 and it's still going strong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast