How is Toho these days?

Heading down this weekend and thinking of seeing if I can get a last minute guide to chuck some wild shiners. How has Toho been fishing?

2. Banned
    My buddy is there today and cant believe the traffic. Sure, you want to come? Took him an hour to go 5 miles to get to the ramp. That whole place is ruined by people retiring and moving here. My buddy is 75 and he is like i dont even recognize any this shit. There are highways were county rds and orange groves used to be. I said yea its all fu$%#'d up. And he used to know the area like the back of his hand up to 5 years ago.

3. Member
    Sorry for the downer talk we have come to expect from MM - the man wants to live in 1975 Yes, Toho is busy but theres good reason - it still produces big fish...Guides are hard to book short notice this time of year - particularly after the full moon. You didn't say if you had a boat available - if you do PM me and I'll help you out.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabasspond View Post
    Sorry for the downer talk we have come to expect from MM - the man wants to live in 1975 Yes, Toho is busy but theres good reason - it still produces big fish...Guides are hard to book short notice this time of year - particularly after the full moon. You didn't say if you had a boat available - if you do PM me and I'll help you out.

I don't have a boat, there are some guides available last minute, but the one day I can probably sneak away from the family is Saturday when the temp is going to plunge from daytime high of 84 to 60. That doesn't bode well for FLA strain fish, does it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    My buddy is there today and cant believe the traffic. Sure, you want to come? Took him an hour to go 5 miles to get to the ramp. That whole place is ruined by people retiring and moving here. My buddy is 75 and he is like i dont even recognize any this shit. There are highways were county rds and orange groves used to be. I said yea its all fu$%#'d up. And he used to know the area like the back of his hand up to 5 years ago.
    I can only imagine. I know a lot of people from NJ who look at FLA as some sort of utopia, but it sounds like it suffers just like other places with overdevelopment and traffic!

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabasspond View Post
    One, i wasnt talking about the fishing. Just 5-8 years ago canoe creek rd was largely undeveloped. Now cookie cutter houses line a hgy what was a small two lane road. Many times, Its developers from OUT OF STATE that build these yankee retreats. How do i know.... Ive called them. The last 10 years there has been a huge surge in people looking to leave the liberal taxing northern states. Yea... I hate bumper to bumper traffic on 1-75 on a SUN at 4 in the evening. Thats some bullshit!!!! It aint how i grew up in the 80's and 90's, nor do i have to like it!
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 02-07-2023 at 12:17 PM.

7. Member
    One, i wasnt talking about the fishing. Just 5-8 years ago canoe creek rd was largely undeveloped. Now cookie cutter houses line a hgy what was a small two lane road. Many times, Its developers from OUT OF STATE that build these yankee retreats. How do i know.... Ive called them. The last 10 years there has been a huge surge in people looking to leave the liberal taxing northern states. Yea... I hate bumper to bumper traffic on 1-75 on a SUN at 4 in the evening. Thats some bullshit!!!! It aint how i grew up in the 80's and 90's, nor do i have to like it!
    Yep, Florida is the only state in the country with an influx of new residents and heavy traffic.

8. Member
    So I'm guessing you're 100% Seminole? Must be if you're such a true original Floridian

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    So I'm guessing you're 100% Seminole? Must be if you're such a true original Floridian
    What do you call someone born in this state? They are native to the area just like you are native to wherever you were born. The " you must be a Seminole" argument just doesn't wash. Stay in NY, we have no more room.....

10. Member
    Canoe Creek is still a small 2 lane road, built to handle the traffic capacity of 40 years ago when the county population was 50k. Fast forward 43 years and the county population has skyrocketed to nearly 500k and roads really haven't changed much, definitely not enough to handle the current population. This county builds everything but roads.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

11. Member
    Just got back from Orlando. Traffic on I-4 reminds me of what I see when I go to California. Man, is that place is crowded. But I guess that's expected in a tourist trap.

Fished lake Toho for four hours with my 9 year old son. Got on some fish but nothing over 5lbs, which was kinda disappointing for FLA, but that's fishing for ya. So nice to be on the water, which I won't be able to do again until late March here in NJ.

12. Member
    Guides on toho have said it’s not producing big bass like it use too.

13. Member
    So if one were to have Seminole lineage…can they bitch all they want?