Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    One thing I noticed when fishing bridges / pilons / etc...when the front of my boat is obstructed by the lip of it, my Ultrex has a hard time with it. If my puck was in the back of the boat, I bet it would hold the spot better.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

2. Member
    I’ve never mounted mine. The paper work I got with it said it is only used for the jog feature which I don’t use.

Location doesn't matter as it's not a GPS puck. It's just an electric compass puck that senses magnetic north.

4. Member
    Mine was mounted on my console by the dealer. Not were I would of put it. It's not sitting flat either but the compass is at least pointed the right direction. It has worked perfectly so plan on leaving it there. If I ever get a new boat again I will be going over all the rigging with the dealer prior to install.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Mine is at rear of boat. It came rigged that way....I am probably moving it to bow up above my Power Pole buttons. Just seems to make more sense.
    that's where mine was installed by a pro installer.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

6. Member
    You don't even need it unless you use the jog feature. Same with the Ghost TMC-1. People that are attributing lack of holding in Anchor lock are experiencing something else because the puck has nothing to do with maintaining position. It's simple to test. Just disconnect it and go out on the lake. You will see no difference in your Anchor lock.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

7. Member
    Does it need to have a sky view, or signal just reach the TM? Is in, can it be inside the closest compartment, as long as it is oriented correctly.?
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

8. Member
    I have an Ranger Aluminum RT 188. I mounted it under the Driver console. It’s attached to a piece of starboard. Velcro under the starboard attaches it to the boat. I left enough wire to reach under the console to pull it out if needed. I’ve never had a problem in 6 years.

9. Member
    When in doubt, follow the installation instructions. Have had one mounted on bow near TM on two different boats with no problems.

10. Member
    You only need the puck if you want to use the jog feature. It does NOTHING else.

11. Member
    Puck is mainly for the jog feature and according to the manual should be a minimum of 24" from the trolling motor or any other large metal object

12. Member
    Ultrex heading sensor is mounted on the bow, and the Helix puck for the console unit is mounted in the rear.

13. Member
    There is quite a bit of misunderstanding between the Ultrex puck, the Humminbird AS GPS HS Precision GPS+Compass & the Humminbird GPS Module. Good post!

Bow on mine. Used a compass app on my phone to find an interface free area
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

15. Member
    Mine is on transom. Should be next to trolling motor

Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Does it need to have a sky view, or signal just reach the TM? Is in, can it be inside the closest compartment, as long as it is oriented correctly.?
    The Minnkota puck is a Heading Sensor (compass). It doesn't use satellites; it points to the magnet North Pole==no sky involved.
    It "talks" to iPilot via Bluetooth; just can't be blocked by radio frequency blocking materials. The back of my driver's seat and the console are between the puck and trolling motor and it works fine. I use it for GPS and HS with my bow displays and MEGA 360. Allows displaying waypoints on the MEGA LIVE Landscape view, but I rarely use that view.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by go-fish View Post
    I mounted mine under the passenger console. Can't even see it.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
    You only need the puck if you want to use the jog feature. It does NOTHING else.
    Not true. I use mine as the heading input to my Helix units. I have the link version of the Ultrex.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

19. Member
    Mine is in a box on the shelf. lol

20. Member
    Straight from Minnkota:
    The Heading Sensor enables the Jog feature and is not required for any other function of i-Pilot or i-Pilot Link. When the Heading Sensor is paired and calibrated, the Jog feature of i-Pilot and i-Pilot Link allows you to move your boat in 5 foot increments, forwards, backwards, to the left and to the right with a button press on the i-Pilot or i-Pilot Link Remote.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast