Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post
    Most filters are made of celulose acetate, which is a biodegradable product.
    Is that why most smokers use the whole world as their ash tray?

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Have to agree, when I commuted, it was like a laser light show..... the smokers flicking their butts out the window. fishing and seeing butts in the water.
    No shit they stink, and are messy, but that does not mean toss them everywhere, use an ashtry in the car, or a bottle in your boat......

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I don't know. The buts are bidegradeable is the only point I was making. If you consider throwing a banana peel on the ground littering, which I think legally is littering, then you have a logical basis for believing that throwing a cigarette butt out the window is littering.

4. Banned
    I don't know. The buts are bidegradeable is the only point I was making. If you consider throwing a banana peel on the ground littering, which I think legally is littering, then you have a logical basis for believing that throwing a cigarette butt out the window is littering.

Well looks like I can start throwing everything out the window now?

Factors affecting biodegradation rate[edit]

Average estimated decomposition times of typical marine debris items. Plastic items are shown in blue.

In practice, almost all chemical compounds and materials are subject to biodegradation processes. The significance, however, is in the relative rates of such processes, such as days, weeks, years or centuries. A number of factors determine the rate at which this degradation of organic compounds occurs. Factors include light, water, oxygen and temperature.[10] The degradation rate of many organic compounds is limited by their bioavailability, which is the rate at which a substance is absorbed into a system or made available at the site of physiological activity,

5. Member
    I saw this coming a few years ago, but didn’t want to start anything with anyone. I agree with you, we need to protect our lakes. Our rivers will always have flooded debris floating downstream annually.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    Well looks like I can start throwing everything out the window now?

Factors affecting biodegradation rate[edit]

Average estimated decomposition times of typical marine debris items. Plastic items are shown in blue.

In practice, almost all chemical compounds and materials are subject to biodegradation processes. The significance, however, is in the relative rates of such processes, such as days, weeks, years or centuries. A number of factors determine the rate at which this degradation of organic compounds occurs. Factors include light, water, oxygen and temperature.[10] The degradation rate of many organic compounds is limited by their bioavailability, which is the rate at which a substance is absorbed into a system or made available at the site of physiological activity,
    IDK why you think you can throw everything on the ground. Your graph proves my point though. Everything is "biodegradeable" but we like to draw some arbitrary line in the sand on what is and isn't ok. I'm on the "nothing" is ok side of things. IDK why you would be on the everything is ok side of things...

Throwing a Cig butt out the window is very dangerous and littering. There have been lots of acres of pasture and hay ground burned, because an ass of a smoker thinks it is OK to throw their butt out the window.

8. Member
    Ask a city manager who has to maintain the storm drains and I bet they can tell you what is the most problematic. I believe I saw an article a while back that said plastic bottles were #1 and cigarette butts were #2.

9. Member
    Cigarette butts are not biodegradable. They are made of cellulose acetate, which is a plastic and cannot be organically broken down by. Living organism, the definition of biodegradable. They may be broken down by other environmental factors but that has been shown to take as long as 10 years.
    Back to the original topic, I never throw a plastic in the lake, all of them go in my boat then cleaned out at the end of the day Same with discarded line. Tournament anglers should be punished for such an offense.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

10. Member
    I dislike people who litter. It’s so easy not to, it takes almost more effort to litter.

11. Banned
    IDK why you think you can throw everything on the ground. Your graph proves my point though. Everything is "biodegradeable" but we like to draw some arbitrary line in the sand on what is and isn't ok. I'm on the "nothing" is ok side of things. IDK why you would be on the everything is ok side of things...
    I was being a smartass as I hate to see cigarette butts being tossed out. It just looks trashy! Also while they may or may not be bio-degradable in a specific about of time, they pile up everywhere just look around.
    If the point is it's ok to toss out your butts then most everything is bio-degradable so start the tossing.

And I put my shopping cart up along with others. If I see one just randomly left on my way in I always grab it and take it in myself. Hell I'm going that way anyway!

All the used soft plastics used in my boat get thrown in a HF weighted magnetic metal tray. Even better if I change out hook and all. They stay put until the end of the day. Any hooks get removed, and any salvageable plastics get repaired with Mend-It to get eaten another day.
    Throw anything out of my boat, and you’re next.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

13. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Bass lives matter.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

14. Member
    Throwing anything into the water is littering.
    People think that cigarette butts are biodegradable? wow
    Last edited by Ranger Rod; 02-07-2023 at 08:46 AM.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

15. Banned
    Some people just fart where they will. You think cow farts are pollution but human farts are fine?

16. Member
    I throw them and any thing my baits drag up ( this last weekend, 2 bread bags and a ball cap) and throw them in the trash when I leave, I have seen them swell up like 4x their size. I also fish a lot out of tree branches as years ago at Fayette there was a tern that was hung high up in a tree on fishing line, never forgot that.

You can go to any lake here and find damn senkos everywhere on the bottom. They swell up like crazy also. When Stinkus and I get done at the end of the day the deck has a bunch of trashed plastics and the live well full of everyone else’s fishing line that we removed hanging everywhere. It really pisses me off people are to damn lazy to remove the line and hooks. The line hanging out of a tree is hell on birds , mink , muskrats and everything else that comes into contact with it.
    Proud Army Dad

18. Member
    I used too but a few years ago I pulled a half absorbed senko out of ones butthole.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

I throw all used baits in bottom of the boat also. Throw'em away when I get home.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

20. Member
    I know I've caught several fish over the years with blockages due to soft plastics down their throat without any visible hook. No doubt weightless plastics thrown overboard get eaten by fish regularly on their way down to the bottom, and likely drift around and get eaten over time as well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast