Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I do as much as I can my vehicles and boat. I needed new ball joints the other day for the truck. I took a wheel off, looked at it and put the wheel back on and took it to the shop. LOL I'm learning to pick my battles. I have a great local mechanic. He recently put a seal in the tranny tailshaft and a gas filter for $150 parts and labor.
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    just took mine to the ford quick lane today,, got "the works" for 68 bucks total..
    oil change, rotate tires, top all fluids, check belts, hoses, brakes, tire tread depth and get a report for everything checked..
    while in the waiting room the tech hunted me down and said she noticed my dash screen had the TPMS screen up and that all 4 tires were at 39 PSI and did I want her to put her gauge on them while she rotated them.. I told her no need for her to mess with the pressures and thanked her for noticing and checking with me.. i mentioned it to the manager when it was done and he said she's the best tech in the building... i have always had great service from this dealer and for 68 bucks I ain't messing with it...

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

3. Member
    Not once have I ever paid anyone to change oil or rotate tires. Hell any repair for that matter. Full synthetic and filter only costs me $40.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

4. Member
    I enjoy changing my oil. I don’t trust the young kids at the oil changing places. Use only synthetic oil and Wix filters. Tire get rotated at the shop.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I've gone back to DYI for oil changes and tire rotations the past two years, mostly due to the hassle of scheduling and/or dropping off the car or waiting at a quick service location. For me to drop off a car its a 1 hour+ round trip for two of us. If I can arrange it during the annual state inspection then I will do so. That also is a PITA.
    Thank God Okla did away with those stupid inspections years ago !
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donpilot View Post
    I am 79 and still change oil and rotate tires. A few less than good experiences with having it done. I can do it in less time .
    I hear ya. I just paid a guy to change the front wheel bearings on my Avalanche because it's cold outside and I'm getting slower every year. I'm 80.

7. Member
    Do it myself. Unless I know the tech, I feel like having someone else do it is taking a gamble that il have to fix someone else's screw up.

8. Member
    I have a small fleet of gas and diesels around here. Diesel pusher RV (23qts of oil), Ram 2500 Cummins, minivan, car, 3 motorcycles/dirt bikes, an ATV, a boat, 3 generators, 3 chainsaws, 2 pressure washers, weed eaters, leaf blowers, etc. I rebuild motors on dirt bikes and cars. I have always done all my own maintenance and repairs to the point that I can, which is pretty far in. I not only enjoy doing that stuff, I just don't trust most shops. I'm 65 and mostly retired, but even when I worked full time, I found time to get the stuff done.

I'm proud that my son is also doing most of his vehicle maintenance. I didn't think he'd be that kind of guy growing up. I showed him how to do it, and a lot of house maint stuff too. But he never seemed interested. Now he's a regular DIYer.
    John

9. Member
    ok so I run bfg ta ko2s at around 65 psi or so load range E.

Ive had two shops drain the air to 30psi after an oil change over the years....

Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    just took mine to the ford quick lane today,, got "the works" for 68 bucks total..
    oil change, rotate tires, top all fluids, check belts, hoses, brakes, tire tread depth and get a report for everything checked..
    while in the waiting room the tech hunted me down and said she noticed my dash screen had the TPMS screen up and that all 4 tires were at 39 PSI and did I want her to put her gauge on them while she rotated them.. I told her no need for her to mess with the pressures and thanked her for noticing and checking with me.. i mentioned it to the manager when it was done and he said she's the best tech in the building... i have always had great service from this dealer and for 68 bucks I ain't messing with it...

I change my own oil and filters especially diesel about half cost versus shop doing it.

2009 ELITE 210

11. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Changed my truck oil yesterday, filter and 3 gallons of synthetic cost me $88
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

I do my own also. I put a bunch of miles on my truck and like to know it is done correctly.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

13. Member
    Oil changes yes, It saves a few dollars and a lot of my time. Plus I use what I want , which is Mobil 1 full synthetic and Wix or Mobil 1 filters ( I sincerely doubt the shop uses Wix filters). Tire rotation:NO . Those tires are heavy and jacking up and blocking take way too much time. They're free at the dealership plus they have free coffee drink machine and fresh popcorn while you wait :)

The place I buy tires does free rotation, so that I don't do. Everything else I do myself.

15. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I used to do my own oil changes and lubrication, but stopped that several years ago. My Chevy dealer does an oil change for $50. I just wait on it, takes maybe 45 minutes. Sherm's Marine changes my lower unit oil and winterizes my engine for $177. Its worth it to me.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

16. Member
    I do most of the outboard maintenance, but I let the professional mechanics work on the trucks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123